Any scuba divers here? Maui advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruscar

Eat, drink, repeat
Reaction score
Since one certain member here is a fraud, a false advertiser & his handle does NOT mean that he is a scuba diver & shall go unnamed **coughstevecough**, I will not waste my oh so precious time
sleep.gif
PM'ing individuals for advice.
So instead, I ask you, oh mighty collective blob of wisdom, who here has recommendations for dive sites on Muai? We're talking in the water here, you gutter minds!
I've already dove...dived....doven?? Molokini and am looking for something VERY kool & the gang. Mind you, I only have a one day "get out of jail free" card from SWMBO to be used for diving so it has to be good. I am an advanced diver so the fountain in front of the Wailea is not an option!
Oh, BTW, staying in Kaanapali so the 45 minute drive to Kihei at 0 dark 30 is not real attractive, which leaves out Ed Robinson.

Sez you?

Oh, remember, no drinking and diving. It's REAL hard to filter out the beer from the salt water once you hit the water!
chduh.gif

We stayed at the Kaanapali Beach resort when we went to Maui. It was very nice. It started raining about 20 minutes after we got ther...and it stoped the day we left, so I did some realy...different dives in Maui. I wouldn't recommend the drive to Kihei either. It's just not worth it. EVERY dive location in Maui (Hawaii in general) is good....however much less than it was 10 or 15 years ago. (I almost cryed when we were in Oahu 3 years ago and we went to Hanama Bay...it had completely died in the last 8 years)

If you are alone for 1 day only...consider some shallow dives and 3 or 4 locations.

BTW...Before I was the BigKahuna...>I was Chazscuba for YEARS!

Well, I'm a real scuba diver, but unfortunately I have never even been to Maui, to say nothing about diving there! So, basically, I am no help whatsoever! :D

Another real diver who's useless as hell since I've never made it to Hawaii.

The Keys, Bahamas, Bonaire, Turks & Caicos or Malta? That I can help with.

Real diver here too but my cheap a$$ chooses Cozumel over Hawaii every time.

Trust me when I say "Keep it that way"
I don't argue that Mexico is an ok destination, but if you've ever been to Hawaii...especially Oahu or Maui...and seen how really nice and luxurious they are, you'll see Mexico as second rate...and Jamaica as a TOILET! (but Jamaica is another rant indeed)

It's everything in Hawaii that makes it what it is, and it's not something you can describe, because If I told you that they rake the beaches every night, you'd say that they do that other places too....If I said that they mop the sidewalks every day...they do that other places too. It's an intangible quality that I first experienced when I was 8 years old, and have been 100% in love with and fascinated by ever since. I've been to Hawaii 13 times, and it still nearly brings tears to my eyes when I think about it. The fun I've had there with my family as a kid, and now with my wife....It's just that special place for me...and nowhere else will do.

Hey, ladies, can we 86 the "Great Vacation Debate?" I leave in 29 days, tickets paid, etc. Yes, there are great dive sites elsewhere. I've done Cozumel. Agree. It's great.

Now, can we FOCUS here?? How many HB's you already had??? "Well, hick, it's beer 30 somewhere!"

Repeat after me "Maui, Maui"

Scuba diver here as well. Rescue Certified.

And I have gone diving plenty in Hawai'i as well, but only off the Big Island and Kauai, as that is where I have family.

BUT I have heard good things about Night Diving on Black Rock, which is close to you. I can't think of anything else close to you.

My wife and I just left Hawaii in August after living there for the last 4 years.

Look here: Hawai'i O'Hana - ScubaBoard
Also here: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

If you don't mind diving with "Dir" diver's shoot me a pm and I can introduce you to some top notch local tech diving buddies on Maui. Also, if you are up for a bit of an adventure and are comfortable in rough water I highly suggest you look into North Shore Explorers: main

I believe a few shops are now making scheduled trips to dive off of Molokai as well now.

I've done most of my diving on Oahu, but have dove on Maui a few times. Other than Molokini, one of my favorite dives there was the Carthaginian, which was and old whaling schooner that was intentionally sunk as an attraction for the sub. It's mostly done as a boat dive, but I've done it as a shore dive with double 80s, an 80 stage, and a scooter.

Tech diving is just really starting to take hold in hawaii, but there are some fantastic sites that can be reached if you have or are willing to get a Tech I cert.

hope this helps,

Matt
HBT Lurker, Naui Trimix II diver and gas blender.

The o'dark 30 ride is sort of required for most boat diving other than the worst of cattle-zoo operations.

The shore diving is excellent, and more time flexible.

However, it's been 11 years, so people/shops/things have no doubt changed.

Beware the mountain - specifically, remember that going up the mountain is "flying" in diving terms, but you know that, I'm sure - just make sure that your wife's plans for the next day know that.

I was somewhat not thrilled with the Mike & Ed advertising extravaganzas (which cost you dive money) and they looked a bit on the huge boat line (many divers) in person.

I also was negatively impressed by several of the larger and more tourist oriented dive shops. I went out for thai food and stumbled onto B&B scuba, whom I'm happy to word of mouth for. They take (took?) a 6 pack out which was the first boat out (Mike & Ed were still on the trailers) so the Molokini rush was missed, but they also offered shore dive support - tanks, gear, gear and guide, whatever. And they were both less costly and more professional, in my opinion, than several other shops I entered, talked to, and walked away from.

Depending of course on what you want in a dive site, tooling around in front of the resorts can be good. The black rocks site in front of the sheraton (well, it was one in 1997, who knows now) had both snorkel and dive possibilities. Not so deep, but not so far to go, either. There's a pretty good book of dives around the island, you could stop in the shop and see what appeals to you, or buy the book and plan out every detail ahead of time as you prefer - but allow for the possibility that the wind is not in the usual direction to have an alternate plan, though it doesn't happen that often.

Last time we went to the big island and I got the manta brylcreem treatment, if/when we get to a next time probably Kuai.

Molokini back wall is kinda cool if you have never done that. Black rock is also neat palce for a shore dive, but you can just as easily free dive there.

We have always used Maui dive shop.....no complaints, but O'dark thirty is going to be what to expect from most places.

Check out scubaboard for more info http://www.scubaboard.com

If you dive out front of the resort, of course you are doing to see some bull crap you retards. If you want some bad ass diving, you should go to south to undisturbed maui past la perouse or to lanai off shark fin and cathedrals I and II. Molokini is a really good spot for deep dives and snorkeling. You guys are losers.

Edit: Maui dive shop's boat sunk at Molokini. Don't go with those guys -- they really suck!! Reef killers!!

Calling everyone retards is a hell of a way to make friends, especially on a first post to an old thread... :rolleyes: Anyway...welcome to the board

Dove Lanai, specifically, Cath 2 & No Name. No Name is a huge glob of rock/coral that you can basically circle, go through, etc. Lotsa fishies.
Cath 2 was, as always a good dive. The chandelier is way cool. Saw 2 types of eels thiiiiis close.
Biggest *****. The footie fins. Both from the dive boat & the dive shop we rented snorkel gear for the clan. STILL have marks on the backs of my heels. If I had known, I'da brought my own fins & booties. Heck, I already brought my own mask (corrected) & reg/puter. (Never trust rental regs!)

BTW, snorkeled both at Hanalua Bay & Black Rock.
Hanalua has soooo much fish life. Saw one huge school of (I think) flagtails that had to be 100-200 feet long.
At Black Rock, without trying, I hovered over 2 Green Turtles as the fed for about 10 minutes. So close I only had to fold my forearm down to touch the shell. Measured the bigger one's shell at about 3 feet long. Incredible.

Back