Any low tolerance yeasts? 5-10% alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upstate12866

Reaction score
I am interested in creating a sweet wine or hooch by pushing yeast past its alcohol tolerance so that some sugars are left unfermented. I do not want to make something that is 15-20% alcohol if I can help it. Are there any yeast strains that crap out around 5-10%? Ideally something fairly neutral if possible? I will be applying it to juices and sweet tea. The lower the abv, the better.

Look at the Wyeast sweet mead yeast strain. It will leave some sweet behind (2-3% sugars) even if you don't go to it's tolerance level. I've used it in cider batches that went to about 6% ABV and had a light sweet finish to them. I plan to use that yeast in my next batch of mead (probably no more than 10% ABV target).
https://wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/sweet-mead

Nottingham craps out at 9% in the experience of myself and my local club members (a few years ago we all brewed the same recipe to put into a big barrel, with Notty).

And you may get even better results from other English ale strains such as Windsor or WLP002, etc., they don't like to attenuate anything very highly.

Back