Lalbrew LoNa, a new Saccharomyces Cerevisiae hybrid yeast for Low Alcohol Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duelerx

Reaction score
"LalBrew® LoNa™ is an innovative maltose-negative hybrid yeast strain that has been selected to have ideal characteristics to produce low and non-alcoholic beers.
As a Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain of yeast, LalBrew® LoNa™ performs like an ale producing a clean and neutral aroma profile, no phenolic flavors, and significantly reducing aldehydes that cause worty flavors."

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/lona/

This could introduce a whole new world of experimentation, but I also imagine could make the risk of infection infinitely more real in the homebrew environment. If you've got a little stray Nottingham floating around, you could be dealing with bottle bombs. Due to that risk (and other potential spoilage with the lol alcohol) I'd personally probably keg only and keep the finished beer cold.

This could introduce a whole new world of experimentation, but I also imagine could make the risk of infection infinitely more real in the homebrew environment. If you've got a little stray Nottingham floating around, you could be dealing with bottle bombs. Due to that risk (and other potential spoilage with the lol alcohol) I'd personally probably keg only and keep the finished beer cold.
Or CBC-1.

$220 for 500 grams. Anyone wanna become a breaker? :)
Yeah, I suspect they will follow the path of other manufactures and not release their NA yeast in homebrew packet size. The food safety issues around using yeast like this is too high without adequate knowledge and equipment.

I made one batch with Fermentis LA-01. As I recall, fermentation kicked up after the initial round and I got around a 50% attenuation rate. I am not sure if it was a wild yeast or some stray brewers yeast, or something else. One obvious issue with these very low attenuating yeast is that you are left with sugars that standard yeast will readily consume. My gut says that a very high mash temp and a more standard low attenuating ale yeast is an easier option for homebrewers.

Can CBC-1 ferment maltose? I know it can't break down maltotriose.
This page has some decent looking info on various yeast. It says that CBC-1 can ferment maltose.
https://ultralowbrewing.com/yeast-selection-for-beer-home-brew-ultralowbrewing/

Here is the technical data sheet:

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/LoNa-TDS-ENG-8.5x11-Print-LalBrew.pdf
According to the data sheet two things required to brew with this yeast:
  • It is recommended to adjust wort pH to ≤4.6 for optimal avor and to prevent growth of pathogenic bacteria. Repitching is not recommended for this strain since very little biomass is produced during the short fermentations.
  • Pasteurization is required when brewing with LalBrew® LoNa™ to avoid refermentation after packaging and ensure beer stability

Back