Any Issues With Northern Brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a kit from NB and got a bag if coffee beans instead of hops. I got annoyed because I was planning on brewing that weekend. I picked up the phone, explained the situation and they quickly mailed me the hops, no questions asked. I could have made the story up just to get a free pound of hops, but they trusted me and were very apologetic. Now that's good costumer service in my book

I ordered a kit from NB and got a bag if coffee beans instead of hops. I got annoyed because I was planning on brewing that weekend. I picked up the phone, explained the situation and they quickly mailed me the hops, no questions asked. I could have made the story up just to get a free pound of hops, but they trusted me and were very apologetic. Now that's good costumer service in my book

Haha, I keep checking back at this thread to see what crazy stuff I'll read. How do you even screw that one up? Coffee beans??? I'm going to order from them and maybe they'll mess up and give me some free SS pots or something :cross:

NB is top notch in my book. if my local guy doesn't have it, i will make an online order and within a few days i have all my stuff. they have even thrown in a poster and a few glasses for me. stopped by their store in st. paul (not connected to the warehouse, where they ship from) and they have all the LHBS materials 10X. i couldn't imagine what their warehouse looks (and smells :)) like. as an online shopping outlet, all places have their bad orders from time to time. NB makes every effort to make sure you are coming back to them for your orders.

No issues with Northern Brewer here. I had ordered their Stirplate which was dead on arrival. Shot them an e-mail and had a return label in my inbox with an apology that night to get the issue sorted.

teromous said:
haha, i keep checking back at this thread to see what crazy stuff i'll read. How do you even screw that one up? Coffee beans??? I'm going to order from them and maybe they'll mess up and give me some free ss pots or something :cross:

lmao

Protip: Place the coupling against the nipple, then slowly turn it backwards, (CCW). You will feel it "click" down as the threads align at a certain point in the rotation. Then slowly thread forwards.

This works very well with spark plugs too to avoid cross-threading.

Very true. My solution was to ALSO order a pair of female to female plastic couplers (one per outlet/inlet) and use male threaded nipples to thread into THOSE. Gave me a cheap 'safety' to avoid metal against the pumps' plastic threads.

To the OP, I've used NB (as well as a host of others) with no issues at all. Come to think of it, both of my March pumps came from Northern Brewer. They are generally the first site I look to if my LHBS doesn't have what I need.

Very true. My solution was to ALSO order a pair of female to female plastic couplers (one per outlet/inlet) and use male threaded nipples to thread into THOSE. Gave me a cheap 'safety' to avoid metal against the pumps' plastic threads.

To the OP, I've used NB (as well as a host of others) with no issues at all. Come to think of it, both of my March pumps came from Northern Brewer. They are generally the first site I look to if my LHBS doesn't have what I need.

I missed Shorty's post the first time through but I believe I did not start out by cross threading. I think it developed after I had the nipple mostly on. Once I refiled the threads and tried it again, I noticed a propensity to go out of alignment again. It was only after I applied even downward pressure while doing the final tightening that I got it on appropriately. I like your solution if I'm faced with replacing them at some point and can't pull the trigger on the SS head model.

What's wrong with asking on a discussion board? We are a community here, we can offer advice on how to deal with the situation and the OP can get other peoples experiences.

It unfair to NB because they will most likely correct the customer's problem , but this thread will still be out on the internet for all to see. Even if the OP comes back and says "No problems, NB fixed me right up"....most people who read the thread may not make it to page 5 of the thread where the resolution to the complaint was posted. This is assuming that the OP would bother to post to say his complaint was resolved after the fact.

Furthermore, the complaining customer didn't bother to adequately contact the company before starting this thread. NB may not have had the chance to fix the problem, so it is unfair to take them to task when they may not know there is a problem.

broadbill said:
It unfair to NB because they will most likely correct the customer's problem , but this thread will still be out on the internet for all to see. Even if the OP comes back and says "No problems, NB fixed me right up"....most people who read the thread may not make it to page 5 of the thread where the resolution to the complaint was posted. This is assuming that the OP would bother to post to say his complaint was resolved after the fact.

Furthermore, the complaining customer didn't bother to adequately contact the company before starting this thread. NB may not have had the chance to fix the problem, so it is unfair to take them to task when they may not know there is a problem.

The OP wasnt bad mouthing them, but asking if anyone had a similar experience before he called them. Maybe there is any easy fix.

Thou shall not talk poorly of my preferred homebrew shop.
Commandment number 11.

Everyone can talk **** about bmc but their not around to defend themselves either. OP just asked a question about a product, he wasnt trying to ruin their business.

The OP wasnt bad mouthing them, but asking if anyone had a similar experience before he called them. Maybe there is any easy fix.

Commandment number 11.

Everyone can talk **** about bmc but their not around to defend themselves either. OP just asked a question about a product, he wasnt trying to ruin their business.

Thanks doc. you are correct, I simply wanted to know everybody's experience on this vendor, I was in no way disrespecting any company just wanted some feedback on experiences from people who have purchased from them before and if they had any issues. I'm really not quite sure why so many posters are getting in a pickle about it, it was a very innocent post. Simply asking about others experiences were. I don't always have the opportunity to call, and NB today emailed me back saying they didn't receive my original email. Calling is obviously the best way to get things figured out, but I don't always have the opportunity to call during the day so I thought 2 emails through their website would be sufficient. For all those people who said just call them, i did. But do I need to? i think if i order online, I should be afforded the ability to get what I ordered and if I have questions, respond in the same manner that I ordered.

Commandment number 11.

I've never ordered from NB. Commandment #11 does not apply.

So are you going to address my comments? I addressed yours.

I placed my first order with NB this Spring, having ordered pretty much solely from Midwest prior to that. My order was filled accurately and in a timely manner. Prices were about the same, but I managed to save $14 on shipping (included a 50# sack of malt). I was pleased with the way my order was handled.

broadbill said:

The OP wasnt even complaining. He asked if anyone else had that same product from NB. He said he was going to call them, but wanted feedback from others before he called. I doubt NB wants a phone call everytime a brewer has a problem.

The OP never said anything bad about NB so I fail to see what your issue is.

This is an online community for its members to share information. He had a question about a vendor and asked. Wtf is wrong with that? Even if it gets corrected, he still had an issue and this forum should be open to him asking about his issue.

He didnt know much about NB, so he asked and received a lot of positive feedback about NB that probably made him feel better about his purchase. There is no way NB loses a single order from this thread, maybe they even gain orders. But who cares, we arent here to prop up a homebrew shop but to talk about making beer.

The OP wasnt even complaining. He asked if anyone else had that same product from NB. He said he was going to call them, but wanted feedback from others before he called. I doubt NB wants a phone call everytime a brewer has a problem.

The OP never said anything bad about NB so I fail to see what your issue is.

This is an online community for its members to share information. He had a question about a vendor and asked. Wtf is wrong with that? Even if it gets corrected, he still had an issue and this forum should be open to him asking about his issue.

He didnt know much about NB, so he asked and received a lot of positive feedback about NB that probably made him feel better about his purchase. There is no way NB loses a single order from this thread, maybe they even gain orders. But who cares, we arent here to prop up a homebrew shop but to talk about making beer.

Either you are not following along, or you are being intentionally obtuse.

OP had problem with a product that NB sells...and by the sounds of it the problem may well have been caused by "operator error" and probably isn't NB's fault in the first place.

OP sends two emails and doesn't hear anything back from them.

OP could have called NB. OP could have called March Pump (manufacturer of product in question). OP could have done a search on this site and found other people that have had problems with pump (and most likely would have found the contact info of a guy who actually MAKES the March Pump!).

OP doesn't do any of these things. He posts and complains. You say its not a NB complaint? His post about the lack of response he got from NB, not how to fix his pump leak....That is a complaint in my book. Then you have the last sentence of his post:

There are so many other suppliers here that I think that can step-up and earn business when stuff goes wrong.

...and this isn't a complaint?

OP could have handled it differently, that is all I'm saying.

Either you are not following along, or you are being intentionally obtuse.

OP had problem with a product that NB sells...and by the sounds of it the problem may well have been caused by "operator error" and probably isn't NB's fault in the first place.

OP sends two emails and doesn't hear anything back from them.

OP could have called NB. OP could have called March Pump (manufacturer of product in question). OP could have done a search on this site and found other people that have had problems with pump (and most likely would have found the contact info of a guy who actually MAKES the March Pump!).

OP doesn't do any of these things. He posts and complains. You say its not a NB complaint? His post about the lack of response he got from NB, not how to fix his pump leak....That is a complaint in my book. Then you have the last sentence of his post:

...and this isn't a complaint?

OP could have handled it differently, that is all I'm saying.

I suggest you go back and re-read this thread from the OP. The OP said he was about to call them but wanted to ask if anyone else had this problem and he would call with everyonces concerns. He did not start a thread by saying NB screwed him over - though the responses certinaly spun it that way. He wrote he was about to place to call but wanted to see other people's experiences first.

If you have an issue with that, I seriously don't have words to describe how stupid the rational is behind that.

He could have searched, he could have called, he could have done a lot of things differently. But then there is no point in even having this forum at all, because 99% of the stuff on here has been asked, answered and re asked 1,000 times before here, in some book, or elsewhere on the internet.

He could have searched, he could have called, he could have done a lot of things differently. But then there is no point in even having this forum at all, because 99% of the stuff on here has been asked, answered and re asked 1,000 times before here, in some book, or elsewhere on the internet.

Except in this case he was having an issue with a product from a specific vendor. By that fact alone the OP should have picked up a phone and dealt with it by actually talking to a person that can help him...

Except in this case he was having an issue with a product from a specific vendor. By that fact alone the OP should have picked up a phone and dealt with it by actually talking to a person that can help him...

I thought that was the point of this forum. To help people, not to give them a hard time. Believe it or not, it's actually people on this forum that make these posts and people ask questions about products all the time here, about a variety of products from yeasts, to barley crushers, to different grains.

How was the OP suppose to know its not a kegkits.com situtation or things like that if he doesnt ask?

If the OP was at a pub, talkin with his friends, would it have been appropriate to bring this up or would his friends have acted like most of the people here? Why should does this forum need a different set of rules and whats allowed to be posted.

I suggest you go back and re-read this thread from the OP. The OP said he was about to call them but wanted to ask if anyone else had this problem and he would call with everyonces concerns. He did not start a thread by saying NB screwed him over - though the responses certinaly spun it that way. He wrote he was about to place to call but wanted to see other people's experiences first.

If you have an issue with that, I seriously don't have words to describe how stupid the rational is behind that.

I did re-read it and so should you...especially the title of the thread....enuff said. :rolleyes: This was started as a complaint thread, not as a "I have a problem" thread.

I have no problem with OP posting about his issues with NB. But he'd better have and actual issue. Many of us feel he didn't have one and responded in kind (or rather told the OP that he should have handled it differently). That may not have been the advice he was looking for, but as you pointed out, this is a public forum after all.

I thought that was the point of this forum. To help people, not to give them a hard time. Believe it or not, it's actually people on this forum that make these posts and people ask questions about products all the time here, about a variety of products from yeasts, to barley crushers, to different grains.

How was the OP suppose to know its not a kegkits.com situtation or things like that if he doesnt ask?

The point is before you air your dirty laundry on a public forum (that will be floating around forever) you need to make an effort to exhaust all possible lines of communication with a vendor. Sending an email doesn't cut it for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. A simple phone call will clear up 99% of situations like this, but no one wants to pick up a damn phone these days.

If the OP was at a pub, talkin with his friends, would it have been appropriate to bring this up or would his friends have acted like most of the people here? Why should does this forum need a different set of rules and whats allowed to be posted.

I can tell you with 100% certainty I have called out my own friends for not going to a business or picking up the damn phone to address a problem they are having. If you fail to give someone a reasonable opportunity to help you, they can't.

Doc you are not going to win this one. I've seen people get flamed over and over again if they so much as say one thing negative about a site sponsorer on this forum. However, someone can go into a brewery and flame them on here simply b/c the 19 year old waitress isn't educated in what they serve and no one says one thing to them.

That being said, I would have called NB up first, then if I didnt get a response I was satisfied with I would have disputed it with my credit card company. Then I would have stopped doing business with them and referred others elsewhere.

Should the OP have to call them? No. They should have replied to his email just as quickly as they replied to his online order and charged his card. If thats too much to ask b/c they are too busy then they should stop accepting online orders.

I'm just speaking generally. I have used NB in the past and didn't have a single issue and would recommend them to anyone. Just dont see the point in flaming down a fellow HBTer b/c he started a thread instead of exhausting his other options.

Flame on.

I can tell you with 100% certainty I have called out my own friends for not going to a business or picking up the damn phone to address a problem they are having. If you fail to give someone a reasonable opportunity to help you, they can't.

REALLY!, so if your friend said:

"I made a purchase from NB for a grain mill and a march pump. Grain Mill was great. March Pump had some threading issues, so I sent them a message on their website but haven't heard anything back. Not sure what to do, do you have a similar experience with this pump? If so, let me know and i'll give them a call with our concerns."

What an ahole. :drunk: Sharing his experience with you, and then offering to call the seller of the product for you, if you had a similar experience. The nerve of that guy. Who would want to friends with a guy like that.

"I made a purchase from NB for a grain mill and a march pump. Grain Mill was great. March Pump had some threading issues, so I sent them a message on their website but haven't heard anything back. Not sure what to do, do you have a similar experience with this pump? If so, let me know and i'll give them a call with our concerns."

What an ahole. :drunk: Sharing his experience with you, and then offering to call the seller of the product for you, if you had a similar experience. The nerve of that guy. Who would want to friends with a guy like that.

You forgot the last sentence of the OP's post--selective editing if action...:rolleyes:

You forgot the last sentence of the OP's post--selective editing if action...:rolleyes:

This?

There are so many other suppliers here that I think that can step-up and earn business when stuff goes wrong.

It's a true statement. There are many good suppliers here that can earn business with stuff goes wrong with others.

Absolutely. It doesn't matter what the product is or who the seller was, the bottom line is if you have a problem with a purchase you need to contact either the manufacturer or the vendor via a phone call to ensure you don't get filed away in someones inbox. I know it hard for some people to grasp in the day of text message dating and internet forums, but sometimes the old way of doing things is the best way...

My friends don't refer to me as the cold rational one because I'm gonna tell them what they want to hear. I tell them what they need to hear...

IffyG said:
Absolutely. It doesn't matter what the product is or who the seller was, the bottom line is if you have a problem with a purchase you need to contact either the manufacturer or the vendor via a phone call to ensure you don't get filed away in someones inbox. I know it hard for some people to grasp in the day of text message dating and internet forums, but sometimes the old way of doing things is the best way...

My friends don't refer to me as the cold rational one because I'm gonna tell them what they want to hear. I tell them what they need to hear...

He said he was going to call but checked to see if others had a similar issue so they could report problems together. Sounds like a nice thing to so if you ask me.

This thread is unbelievable.

OP asked a simple question, and had his answer in a few minutes. THe rest of the SEVEN pages is people bickering over what he could have/should have/ might have/ didn't do.

Personally I am happy that this post was made, because now I know that if i buy a pump i need to be very careful with the threads.

I just saw this. I'm not sure what to do. Delete the inane banter that is totally off-topic and has nothing to do at all with NB? Or will you all consider that a form of removing the sharing of thoughts with a Vendor?

This is why we remove stuff, though- the OP wasn't unhappy. The Vendor came through. Leaving this up seems like a slam against a perfectly fine transaction.

This is not a debate forum.

This thread will be moved to a vendor review area, as soon as I figure out where.

Yooper said:
I just saw this. I'm not sure what to do. Delete the inane banter that is totally off-topic and has nothing to do at all with NB? Or will you all consider that a form of removing the sharing of thoughts with a Vendor?

This is why we remove stuff, though- the OP wasn't unhappy. The Vendor came through. Leaving this up seems like a slam against a perfectly fine transaction.

This is not a debate forum.

This thread will be moved to a vendor review area, as soon as I figure out where.

Good! My feelings exactly.

I have made a dozen or so orders from NB and had zero problems.I've also asked advice and gotten quick response.I will continue to shop with them as I have been well taken care of.

How fast are they at shipping? Reason I ask is, I'm from Canada and wouldn't normally shop from them.. but I really want a couple of the posters that they have. I'm in Florida next week at my in-laws vacation home, and would like to have them delivered while I'm there. Problem being if they don't deliver.. they will sit there for months.

Well the 7.99 flat rate is usually about a week, but if all you're getting are posters you might do better paying for the actual parcel postage, and it may be quicker..they'll quote shipping on the checkout page , and you can compare options.

HPDrifter said:
This thread is unbelievable.

OP asked a simple question, and had his answer in a few minutes. THe rest of the SEVEN pages is people bickering over what he could have/should have/ might have/ didn't do.

Personally I am happy that this post was made, because now I know that if i buy a pump i need to be very careful with the threads.

Bingo!

Just an update, Northern Brewer is sending me a return authorization for the pump.
Thanks for everybody's positive feedback. Northern Brewer has been great and will continue to use them in the future!

Never had an issue with NB. I've ordered many times from them and everything was on time and packed correctly.

Just an update, Northern Brewer is sending me a return authorization for the pump.
Thanks for everybody's positive feedback. Northern Brewer has been great and will continue to use them in the future!

Happy for you and not surprised at all. :mug: The guys at NB are stand up people and will do right if given the opportunity.

Back