Any idea why this keg overcarbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shogun0660

Reaction score
Hi there
Recently brewed the zombie dust clone from this site (for the third time).
OG was 1.063, FG was 1.010. Did 4 weeks in primary. Then dryhopped for 2 more weeks in same fermenter.
Then bottled a 12 pack and kegged the rest(so right at 6 week mark).
The bottles carbonated fine, and were quite tasty.
The keezer was already full, so I put the keg at 12 PSI at room temp (70F), for close to another 6-7 weeks, aware that it would be undercarbonated based on the Volumes of CO2 tables.
A tap opened on the keezer, so I put it in the keezer (@ 38 degrees F, 12 PSI via manifold) on a thursday, thinking it would take another week to fully carb up. I took a pull on monday (3-4 days later), and boy did it pour fast and foamy. It tastes great though. No infection or other off flavors. I did clean the beer lines/perlick faucet with oxyclean followed by water. The previous keg on this tap poured well without any issues at same temp/pressure.
I've vented it a few times over about 7-10 days, and it's improved.
But i'm really just wondering how/why this keg overcarbonated?? Anyone have any ideas? I figured if anything it would be undercarbonated.
thanks for any help.

You should be at 2.57 volumes the high end of carbonation for most lagers/ales. But still in the right range. If you always carb at this volume and like it this way your dispensing problems lie elsewhere. Your reg may be off, or your system does not have enough restriction to produce a pour more to your liking.

Thanks for the reply.
Reminds me that I should mention I have about 6 feet of beer line, 3/16" ID. It's a keezer, so no tower or issues with warm lines.

I think it may be time to switch out the washers in the perlick, i've had them about 4 years now. Ordered a set and going to try that.

Just wanted to see if maybe there was something else i was missing.

thanks

Thanks for the reply.
Reminds me that I should mention I have about 6 feet of beer line, 3/16" ID. It's a keezer, so no tower or issues with warm lines.

I think it may be time to switch out the washers in the perlick, i've had them about 4 years now. Ordered a set and going to try that.

Just wanted to see if maybe there was something else i was missing.

thanks

I would say your beer line is too short, but you said the last one poured fine. Try swapping lines with another keg, then you could at least narrow the issue down to keezer/lines vs keg/beer?

Back