Any fix for undercarb'd bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkanaganMike

Reaction score
I somehow screwed up and underbarb'd a batch of bitter and its not very enjoyable. I've recently got into kegging but am hesitant to dump them all into a keg to see if they can be carbonated more (without oxidizing the whole dang batch).

Anybody else done this and how'd you fix it? :confused:

If they've had plenty time to carb and condition and haven't, you could gently pour them into the keg and carb. You have little to lose if you're going to dump them anyway. Good luck.

This may be a dumb question, but I see you're in Canada...any chance they're stored in too cold of a room? You could try moving them somewhere warmer for a week or two more before you give up hope. After that, unless there is a reason for keeping them bottled, I would personally pour into a keg gently with the headspace purged. In the past, I've tried sprinkling a grain or two of champagne yeast into each bottle and re-capping, but it was a DIPA that was quite strong and that didn't help. Time in a warm place helped the most.

They've been in the basement family room. It has an electric baseboard ad made sure to keep them at 70. Been about 6 weeks and not getting any better.
Think I'll try the keg idea cuz like Build said, nothing to lose if they're going down the drain anyways.
I've got a buddy who rigged up a gas QD and a 2 litre pop bottle. He puts whatever beer doesn't fit in the keg and hits it with pressure. Haven't seen it yet but think I may try that too.

If and when you decide to dump them into a keg, I'd make sure to purge with CO2 first! Otherwise, it seems your temp is fine and you may have miscalculated priming sugar.

If these already have some carbonation, carb drops might overcarbonate and cause bottle bombs. I wouldn't chance it.

How about half a carb drop then? Or a carefully measured amount of sugar? I think trying to dump them in a keg is going to lead to oxidation. If a small amount of priming sugar can be added in an accurate amount to each bottle it seems, IMO, that it would be the most conservative and likely more successful approach to getting more carbonation.

IF you used the correct amount of priming sugar
and
IF they've been stored at 70 for at least 3 weeks

and still not carbed: try storing them upside down for 3 days, then back right side up for 3 days, then fridge for 3 days

worked a couple times for me, even on a batch I had under-primed

Think what it boils down to is I've never quite understood temp and priming sugar amounts. I've over carb'd before and had a couple bombs go off (luckily in the garage) and since then been a bit gun shy of doing it again. Happy to be kegging now as its a bit more idiot proof. Carbonation wise anyways.

I haven't bottled in several years but I recall having some beers take 6-8 weeks or more to carb up just right.

I carbed a batch to 3.5 volumes and no bottle bombs

they ended up bubbly, like champagne, and no gushers either

Calculate the sugar you need for desired carbonation level, dissolve it in some boiling water, calculate the volume you need per bottle, and dose each with a syringe.

If you think there is not enough viable yeast left over you could add some dry yeast to the cooled down sugar mixture.

It is also possible your caps are leaking, so you should check that.

How about half a carb drop then? Or a carefully measured amount of sugar? I think trying to dump them in a keg is going to lead to oxidation. If a small amount of priming sugar can be added in an accurate amount to each bottle it seems, IMO, that it would be the most conservative and likely more successful approach to getting more carbonation.

I agree with your concern about oxidation, but I have some concern about guessing the right amount of sugar to add. It seems to me that perceived carb level is way more sensitive than CO2 volumes would suggest. IMO, 2.5 is a pretty typical level, 2.0 is almost flat, and 3.0 is highly carb'd. I might be overly cautious, but since it's a safety issue, I would err on the safe side.

Back