Any clean way to dry hop in glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
Planning a future brew with a call for a dry hop. I was thinking about just dumping them in and dealing with the trub but figured the geniuses here at HBT must have figured a better way. If I use a hop bag, I worry about the trouble to remove it once it fattens up... what's the secret?! What about a tubular mesh screen that is insertable through the narrow carboy? :drunk:

Also, would you want to dry hop if it looks like fermentation is not complete yet?

Will dry hopping kill fermentation?

This topic is not about CLEANING a carboy, but thank you anyway :)

Planning a future brew with a call for a dry hop. I was thinking about just dumping them in and dealing with the trub but figured the geniuses here at HBT must have figured a better way. If I use a hop bag, I worry about the trouble to remove it once it fattens up... what's the secret?! What about a tubular mesh screen that is insertable through the narrow carboy? :drunk:

Also, would you want to dry hop if it looks like fermentation is not complete yet?

Will dry hopping kill fermentation?

Dry hopping during fermentation will not kill the fermentation, but the CO2 being produced will scrub the hop aroma from the beer.

If you use a hop bag, and it fattens up, and you are not harvesting the yeast , don't worry. Rack off your beer and cut/rip the bag to get it out.

There were HBT posts about tubular hop screens, but I think they found very small amounts of hop pellets would fill the tube/screen and compress the hop material, reducing aroma extraction. Original fabrications were for use in the boil kettle.

Most people say to dry hop after fermentation is complete, the trick is to do it so that you remove your beer from the hop matter in a timely manner so that you don't over hop and get the grassy flavors. With that said, I dump em straight into the fermentor 10 days before I bottle.
When I syphon out, I put a 1 gallon paint strainer on the end of the syphon, and tie a rubber band/fishing line so that it stays on the syphon and doesn't fall in the carboy when you pull it out.

To clean: I clean all my carboys with Oxyclean. You can get a carboy brush too, but you don't really need it with oxyclean.

I've used a 1/2 in. tubular stretch bandage from a pharmacy, I got about an ounce into a 2 ft. section. took some work to get it in, but when I gave the carboy a quick rinse with water and the tube started coming out it was all worth it.:ban:

I put my hops in a 1 gallon paint strainer bag with a couple marbles to weigh them down. (bag and marbles soaked in Star-San of course). Once I rack the beer, I flip the carboy and drain out all the junk, and grab the bag and pull it out.

I use buckets and Speidel tanks now, so there is a bigger opening, but I started with carboys.

I put my hops in the carboy, without a bag. Then I rack from the carboy to the bottling bucket or keg. This is easy for me, as I"m an old winemaker and proficient with racking. If you're not, then using some sort of containment like a bag would be a good idea. The thing is, you may get a bag in the carboy but you'd never get it out once soaked with hops.

fuzzy photo of dryhopping:

DSCN0251.jpg

Fermentation was finished, but we got a warm spell when I dryhopped and that created a lot of off-gassing so there are some bubbles near the top. I like it better when the temperature is steady, and I dryhop for about 5 days usually.

Can you cold crash your carboy? Best way I have found to dry hop, then just clean your carboy as normal.

I've used the cheapo mesh hop socks. Fill with hops, tie it off and feed into carboy starting at one end. Rack to your bottling bucket, leaving the now-swollen bag inside. When you clean the carboy, just snag the mesh with a knife and let the hop sludge spill back in to be rinsed out later. It's doable but a PITA so I mainly dry hop in my bucket.

I prefer to make and drink beers with free range hops. It's cruel to confine the hops in a tight confined space where they can barely turn around to get a drink of the beer. Just dump them in and let them roam free, please.

When I rack, I put a fine mesh bag on the end of the OUTLET tubing. I secure it with a zip tie and weigh it down with marbles in the bottling bucket to avoid aeration/oxidation. I find this much easier than securing a bag over the end of the siphon, and very effective.

You get great hop utilization this way, no particles in your beer, and no fuss removing a bag/container from your carboy. What more could anyone want?

Brewers for the Ethical Treatment of Hops (BETH?)

Get one of those Arborfab carboy dryhoppers - but don't use it for dryhopping.

Put the hops loose in the carboy as usual, and use the filter screen over your autosiphon when racking out. It's fine enough to get the beer out, but leave the hop/trub in the carboy. Also lets you dryhop with more than the 1-1.5oz of hops you can put in the mesh as it is.

I used 7 muslin bags to dry hop 2 oz. PITA. After the first bag went in, I regretted it. They are not coming out without much cursing and prodding...

Back