Any brewers in the Conway Area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it's a Chesnut Brown Ale that Nolan @ The Water Buffalo hooked me up with.

Romeo bought the Nut Brown ale and the Black Scapular Dubbel from Nolan. Both were extract and went easily but the Dubbel finished way high yesterday at 1.090! He also ordered 3 all grain kits from NB (buy 2 get 1 free right now) so we will be making Ace of Spades Black IPA, Caribou Slobber Brown, and Kiwi something... :tank:

Romeo bought the Nut Brown ale and the Black Scapular Dubbel from Nolan. Both were extract and went easily but the Dubbel finished way high yesterday at 1.090! He also ordered 3 all grain kits from NB (buy 2 get 1 free right now) so we will be making Ace of Spades Black IPA, Caribou Slobber Brown, and Kiwi something... :tank:

I have the Caribou Slobber, bottled it about a week ago. I saw the add (buy two get one free). I really want to know how the Kiwi turns out...!!!

I have the Caribou Slobber, bottled it about a week ago. I saw the add (buy two get one free). I really want to know how the Kiwi turns out...!!!

I will let you know how it turns out... I must admit that after thinking about it, I ordered the Caribou Slobber, West Coast Radical Red Ale , and La Petite Orange for myself...so we will be busy!

I will let you know how it turns out... I must admit that after thinking about it, I ordered the Caribou Slobber, West Coast Radical Red Ale , and La Petite Orange for myself...so we will be busy!

I did the caribou slobber a few years ago. Turned out great. I liked it better than moose drool. But I'm biased :)

I did the caribou slobber a few years ago. Turned out great. I liked it better than moose drool. But I'm biased :)

cool... I'm hoping it will be a mild version of my Buried Hatchet stout. My son likes their Mustache Envy... I mostly like the names they have given these brews! :ban:

BTW- the Dubbel was made with a 1.5L starter of WLP530 Abbey Ale yeast...it required my first blow off tube and still created almost a gallon of foam in the jug I used... the dang foam/liquid smelled like it was at least 6% ABV!!

I've did a Moose Drool clone a lot of times, I used a recipe from the book "Clone Brews", which I highly recommend by the way; and it always turned out great. I would say a key to duplicating that beer is the Scottish Ale yeast.

I bottled my Irish Red a couple days ago, still been working on clearing trees and getting my slab pressure washed for my metal building that's coming in just a few weeks!

I've did a Moose Drool clone a lot of times, I used a recipe from the book "Clone Brews", which I highly recommend by the way; and it always turned out great. I would say a key to duplicating that beer is the Scottish Ale yeast.

I bottled my Irish Red a couple days ago, still been working on clearing trees and getting my slab pressure washed for my metal building that's coming in just a few weeks!

hey Eric,
I just got the stuff for a batch of Irish red myself... sounds like we need to do some beer sample trading again! :mug:

Eric,
I'm going to make some Irish Red too. I have the 2 row and vienna, but the recipe calls for 6# MO and 2# Vienna, along with 6 oz. Brit Roast Barley and 3 oz. Crystal... how much difference will there be if I use 2 row instead of the MO?

Eric,
I'm going to make some Irish Red too. I have the 2 row and vienna, but the recipe calls for 6# MO and 2# Vienna, along with 6 oz. Brit Roast Barley and 3 oz. Crystal... how much difference will there be if I use 2 row instead of the MO?

MO (or pale ale malt) will give it a little more body, kind of a bready flavor, since you have the Vienna to go with your 2 row I wouldn't worry, and I've made plenty of Irish Reds with 2 row and no Vienna or Munich anyway.

3 oz of Crystal seems really light to me, my own recipe uses right at 1 lb of the stuff, and many others will have that much or more. If your not a fan of the Crystal flavor your 3 oz should do fine. The roasted barley seems fine to me. You can see my recipe below, but I normally use Fuggles, and I can taste the difference in this batch too. I would prefer Goldings or Fuggles for this beer.

On my next days off I will bring some of the bottled Irish Red out to you if your not busy. I don't know when you plan to brew this but I have some US-05 saved up, and will be saving some Irish Ale yeast next time I bottle/keg if your interested. I have several jars of the 05 and don't plan to use it any time soon.

Red.jpg

MO (or pale ale malt) will give it a little more body, kind of a bready flavor, since you have the Vienna to go with your 2 row I wouldn't worry, and I've made plenty of Irish Reds with 2 row and no Vienna or Munich anyway.

3 oz of Crystal seems really light to me, my own recipe uses right at 1 lb of the stuff, and many others will have that much or more. If your not a fan of the Crystal flavor your 3 oz should do fine. The roasted barley seems fine to me. You can see my recipe below, but I normally use Fuggles, and I can taste the difference in this batch too. I would prefer Goldings or Fuggles for this beer.

On my next days off I will bring some of the bottled Irish Red out to you if your not busy. I don't know when you plan to brew this but I have some US-05 saved up, and will be saving some Irish Ale yeast next time I bottle/keg if your interested. I have several jars of the 05 and don't plan to use it any time soon.

Cool- looking forward to trying some of your beer!
My recipe is similar...this is what I think I'll do-
4# of 2 row
4# of Vienna
1# flaked oats
6oz Roast Barley 300L
3 oz Crystal 120L
1 oz Fuggles 60 minute
1 oz Goldings 10 minutes
Nottingham or Irish Ale (if you think it's abetter choice)
SG 1.055
22.4 IBUs
14.3 SRM
5.49% ABV

Cool- looking forward to trying some of your beer!
My recipe is similar...this is what I think I'll do-
4# of 2 row
4# of Vienna
1# flaked oats
6oz Roast Barley 300L
3 oz Crystal 120L
1 oz Fuggles 60 minute
1 oz Goldings 10 minutes
Nottingham or Irish Ale (if you think it's abetter choice)
SG 1.055
22.4 IBUs
14.3 SRM
5.49% ABV

Looks good, Notty is always good but I just personally love Irish Ale yeast in a lot of beers, not just Irish Reds. Love the oats!

Looks good, Notty is always good but I just personally love Irish Ale yeast in a lot of beers, not just Irish Reds. Love the oats!

good. If you come by before I brew, I could try a batch with your Irish yeast... then do Notty later. I have the stuff for 2 batches. I throw oats into about everything... :)

I took 2 golds and a silver at the in the competition. My Porter and German Pils took 1st, and my lambic got a 2nd. I didn't win anything in BOS round though, but I'm still pretty damn happy!

Q: I am going to buy new equipment... Why should I have a thermometer on my boil kettle? Pros and cons please!

Q: I am going to buy new equipment... Why should I have a thermometer on my boil kettle? Pros and cons please!

Not much point to it in my opinion, especially if you weren't going to use a digital one. You can always use a PID and a temp probe to check it, but if your not using any electric at all in your brewery that wouldn't make sense. I've heard good things about thermoworks too but haven't used them.

Thanks guys! I really didn't see the point myself if it was going to be used for the boil. Just wanting to try and do this right the first time!

Thanks guys! I really didn't see the point myself if it was going to be used for the boil. Just wanting to try and do this right the first time!

Probably the oilfield in me coming out, but I would say if your having doubts just go ahead and drill the hole and put a blind plug in it or a small valve, you can always use it for whatever you want later.

Oh and as for drilling holes, DON'T! Go to harbor freight or something and get one of those cheap conduit punches, about 1,000,000 times easier.

Probably the oilfield in me coming out, but I would say if your having doubts just go ahead and drill the hole and put a blind plug in it or a small valve, you can always use it for whatever you want later.

Oh and as for drilling holes, DON'T! Go to harbor freight or something and get one of those cheap conduit punches, about 1,000,000 times easier.

I want to all grain and I want to go ahead and buy big enough now so I don't have to buy again later. I have a 10 gal cooler mash tun and looking at a 15 gal. Brew pot and HLT.... I want the thermometer and sight glass on the HTL but just didn't see the need for it on my boil pot.

I want to all grain and I want to go ahead and buy big enough now so I don't have to buy again later. I have a 10 gal cooler mash tun and looking at a 15 gal. Brew pot and HLT.... I want the thermometer and sight glass on the HTL but just didn't see the need for it on my boil pot.

I'd put a sight glass on the boil pot. Just my 2 cents. But I like to know what I've got in the pot. If I need to keep sparging or boil longer. I think you could do without the thermometer, but I think you might wish you had the sight glass.

I'd put a sight glass on the boil pot. Just my 2 cents. But I like to know what I've got in the pot. If I need to keep sparging or boil longer. I think you could do without the thermometer, but I think you might wish you had the sight glass.

I wondered about that.... That is why I want one on the HTL to keep up with how much was going in. I take it that doesn't always work?

Kettle screen on the valve in the boil pot?? Thoughts...

I would say yes to that too.

As for the sight tube it beats the hell out of the tape measure/yard stick method. A lot of people drill a separate hole, but you can just put a Tee and a another valve on your drain valve.

I wondered about that.... That is why I want one on the HTL to keep up with how much was going in. I take it that doesn't always work?

My thought is if it's on the boil kettle, you really don't need one on the HLT. You can stop the sparge when you reach your desired level. To me it would be more beneficial on the boil kettle.

My thought is if it's on the boil kettle, you really don't need one on the HLT. You can stop the sparge when you reach your desired level. To me it would be more beneficial on the boil kettle.

Yep, plus it's really nice to know how much total volume you ended up with post boil.

Ok... Do any of y'all make or have labels for your bottled beer??

Eric has done some... I hate cleaning bottles so I just put a round sticker on the cap... there was a thread where a guy posted his hang tag templates...they were pretty cool.

Ok... Do any of y'all make or have labels for your bottled beer??

Here are just a few of my labels below. I don't make a label for every beer, but sometimes when I feel like it I will. As you can see I made a template in photoshop. It took some time to make the template but once I made it, adding the artwork for a different beer each time is pretty simple. Sometimes I don't even do artwork but just do plain black labels on a white background in the center of my template. I started using some generic label making websites online, kinda the free stuff, but wasn't happy with the selection.

You can print your labels on regular paper and use milk and a cue-tip to make them stick to the bottle. After your done, they come off with water VERY easy. I've also bought label stock and printed them onto that, takes more time to stick them on and you'll have to soak them like commercial labels (although not as hard to get off) to remove them. Sometimes I will shrink the label size down to save time and paper and make it about 1x2 inches on the bottle.

If your designing you own label the tricky part is making sure your labels end up being printed in the right size. Have to make sure they aren't stretched or anything wacky. In photoshop I set the size of the project in inches so I wouldn't have this problem. I let windows default printing (whatever you call it) handle my printing (and NOT photoshop) and it's simple. I set the number of items per page and uncheck the box that says something like "fit to page".

The hardest part of this process is cutting the darn things out. You'll want to invest in either a good comfortable pair of siccsors or one of those paper cutters with the handle. If you download/design a label with a rounded edge it REALLY sucks to cut them out.

There are plenty of other ways that you can use to identify your beer. Bob's method with the sticky labels for the caps works good. You can tape them, use funky caps for different batches like American flags or pink ones. You can even make a mark with marker on the cap; I used to do shapes. So the Canadian Pale Ale was a star, the porter was a circle....you get the idea.

There are a lot of other ways to zazz up your bottle presentation too. You can use corks instead of caps (at your own risk). You can leave the corks sticking part of the way up on things that aren't carbonated. You can cap or cork, then dip the top in wax, then use a stencil of some sort to put a mark in the wax. You can also buy shrink wrap capsules for the top of your bottles, just dip them in boiling water for about 1-2 seconds and they shrink right up around the cap/cork and neck of your bottle.

For me the labels is just kind of for fun, I only do it every once in a while, like on a batch I'm really proud of or that I'm going to be giving away a lot of.

If you want to learn how to make your own templates with photoshop, give me a shout I can hook you up with EVERYTHING you need to learn photoshop. You can use MS Paint too, and, well other various similar software.

As you can see I'm not an artistic type, but I have fun trying!

Mead2013orangevanila.jpg

chrislite.jpg

bourbonbarrel.jpg

beertemplatepearadise.jpg

beer label 1.jpg

beer label 1 Templatehoneymead.jpg

Back