Another temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irunxcjm

Reaction score
I have my first batch fermenting away (brewed on Sunday) sitting in my laundry room at about 71-72 degrees. SWMBO isn't too keen about it being in that room. I fully understand, it is a small room and is kind of in the way. Plus, it is putting off that fermenting smell. My question is, after it is done fermenting, is it alright to move the fermentor to the basement where the temperature is 59-64? This is about a 10 degree swing. I wasn't sure if this was going to negatively affect the beer since it is mostly going to be conditioning/clarifying at that point. It is a Irish red ale, if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Jake

71-72 is a bit on the high side but not to bad mid to high 60's would be better. Moving the brew after fermentation is complete will be ok. However, after you bottle you will want to move them back to a warmer location and it might take a bit more time for the yeast to wake up and carb the bottles.

You may want to think about fermenting in your basement.

Olathe, KS, huh? There's there Eric Lynch (Rizen) is from... great poker pro.

Is fine to ferment it in the basement. Most yeasts will work just fine in the low 60s. You can keep it a little warmer by sitting it off the floor and wrapping a towel or some other insulation around the bucket/carboy.
You can move it into the basement at any time.

Craig

Thanks everyone. Man those were some quick responces! This board rocks! :rockin:

So it's OK to move it to some place much cooler during active fermentation? Would that cause any off flavors? Would you guys move it now, or wait till this weekend when fermentation will most likely be done? Man am I glad there are people on here who actually know what they are doing!

Too warm will cause more off flavors than too chilly. My basement is very chilly but it doesn't seem to bother my yeast much. I made a small platform with some 1" x 10" lumber to keep it off the cement floor.

I wouldn't move this batch until it's done otherwise you might shock the yeast and cause it to stall. Next batch, start in your basement.

It might slow the metabolism but lowering the temperature isn't likely to cause any new chemical reactants (off flavors) to be produced. You also wouldn't be reducing the reaction rates by much more than a factor of 1x at most.

I'd wait til fermentation is complete before moving simply for the health of the yeast as stated above. That said they're incredibly resilient organisms and a change of 10 degrees cooler farenheit shouldn't freak them out too much. For the sake of being able to continue brewing in the long term it might be best to get it out of SWMBO's way.

Back