Another newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie Zero

Reaction score
Hello, Everyone!

I just started homebrewing last night, and wanted to take a minute to say hello!

I look forward to learning from the experienced board members here.

I've been wanting to get into homebrewing for a couple years now, and finally went for it! I read a couple books on the subject (Homebrewing for Dummies) and went out and got all the equipment! I'm pretty excited about my first brew. It's from an ingredient kit called 'American Amber' which I'm told will be something like Sam Adams.

I got started yesterday afternoon. After sanitizing all the equipment, I started the wort. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of putting the cover on my pot, and the wort boiled over. I was quick to remove it from the heat, and didn't lose much. Won't do that again! :cross:

After the wort cooled, I had a little trouble with the siphoning process. I siphoned off some of the trub, but I don't think it was very much.

I guess I'll start the secondary fermenting stage this weekend.

Do I need to add more sugar before transferring to the carboy?

Anyway, that's my (no so) quick introduction. Any advice would be appreciated!

Zombie

Welcome to the obsession...

Zombie Zero said:
Hello, Everyone!

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of putting the cover on my pot, and the wort boiled over. I was quick to remove it from the heat, and didn't lose much. Won't do that again! :cross:

Even without the lid (never boil w/ a lid), you have to watch it pretty carefully for boilovers at first. And they're very messy.

I guess I'll start the secondary fermenting stage this weekend.

Do I need to add more sugar before tranferring to the carboy?

No. You don't add sugar until you are bottling. And don't worry about having gotten some trub in the fermenter--it'll drop to the bottom and you'll siphon the beer off the top.

Welcome to HBT. Sounds like your first brew will be a success. :mug:

You are going to rack the beer to a secondary fermenter to get it off the trub and yeast cake. Once in the secondary, it can sit for quite a bit longer with no ill effects. This helps the beer clarify before you bottle it. You wouldn't want to add any sugar to the beer because you will get the fermentation going again and the beer will cloud up again.
As cweston said, you only need to add sugar before bottling. This is what will carbonate your beer

I can't wait! It'll be ready about the time of my birthday (March 12), so that'll be a fun way to celebrate!

Forgot to mention: My Original Gravity reading was 1.020; I'll measure again before transferring to the carboy, and again just before bottling.

Cheers! :mug:

Zombie Zero said:
After the wort cooled, I had a little trouble with the siphoning process. I siphoned off some of the trub, but I don't think it was very much.

I never siph. my wort from the boil kettle. I dump it into the carboy using a funnel. (now I have a ball valve on my pot:rockin: ) As long as the siph. equipment is sanitized it should be OK but I think it is a lot easier to sanitize a funnel than a rackin cane and hose. Unless you have a Counter flow chiller (CFC) than forget what I just said. Just my take on it.:) Like a wise man said to me" I don't care what horse you take to get there so long as its right when your done"(good beer) I think your beer will be a good one!!! Have fun with the hobby. Just remember rdwhahb!!!!!:mug:

Auto siphs. are cool too!!! And cheap only about $10.00. I have one and I like it. The only thing I have ever heard bad about them was they break easy. Mine hasn't broken yet and I've done eight batches with it.

I just got home, (had a MA class tonight) and checked my fermenter. There's the airlock, bubbling merrily away! WOOT!

This probably sounds silly, but I had to just sit there for a few minutes watching the bubbles. :p Of course, part of that had to do with the fact that my legs are worn out, and I didn't want to get off the floor. :cross:

Back