Another Minnesotan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyB

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello, been a long time lurker but finally went out and bought an equipment kit yesterday, got home and went straight to brewing - now I have a Newcastle clone (Midwest Supply, "Oldcastle Brown Ale") in the primary, and am already trying to decide what I'll brew when I move it to secondary!

So far, no gotchas (that I'm aware of) but I'm sure I'll be stopping by with the standard newb questions. Cheers! :mug:

dude welcome! good to see another minneapolis-ite.

i also did the 'oldcastle brown ale' from Midwest and ive got it in secondary right now!

give me a shout if you want to have a massive brew day some time!

I have a question - activity in my fermenter seems to have stopped somewhere around 48 hours (which was last night). It's been hanging out around around 68-70 degrees since I pitched the yeast, so I expected a reasonably quick fermentation but could it be done after 48 hours? I haven't taken a hydrometer reading yet and it's probably going to stay in there until the weekend regardless, I'm just curious. At 24 hours, it was bubbling probably every 2 seconds (on average), slowed slightly by Tuesday morning, when I got home from work last night it was barely bubbling at all, and this morning I got too bored watching for it to bubble so i didn't see any activity.

yea thats the same thing that happened when i did that same kit. i used the wyeast london ale activator, but the airlock action stopped after about 48 hours same temps.

i let it roll for a week in primary and when i transferred to secondary all was well and there is very very little action on the airlock now in secondary but shes still going strong.

you should be fine.

PS this saturday is brew day again im going to be xfering my porter, and brewing up a german Hefe and an IPA if you care to join in on the action!

Hey! I searched Oldcastle and found ya'll. I'm from MN (Minnetonka), and I'm in Madison now. I just transferred my Oldcastle from primary to secondary. It's my first batch, and the one thing that really got me was that the krausen died down after about 24 hours. When I transferred, it smelled very yeasty (and alcoholic?), so I'm not too worried, especially after seeing the healthy trub at the bottom.

Was this similar to your experiences? How did your batches turn out?

(BTW, after finding the Apfelwein recipe, that's up next!)

Back