Announcing My Brewery - Hailstorm Brewing Co

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our brewhouse is complete and about ready to ship. We also heard from the supplier of the rest of the brewery equipment that it should all be shipping in the next week or so as well.

Now we just need the damn government to get back to work so they can finish processing our ttb app.

ForumRunner_20131009_185355.jpg

Now we just need the damn government to get back to work so they can finish processing our ttb app.

It's hard to get back to work from a paid vacation that never has to end...

Jabs at G'ment aside I like your setup and wish you all the best. And GODSPEED on that paperwork!!

Congrats on living the dream. Looks great. I will come check it out once you are operational. I too am from Oswego (class of 2000) and worked at OHS and have been at OEHS for the last 10 years. Small world.

Finally taking the plunge, a partner and I are opening a new brewery in Tinley Park, IL. It's called Hailstorm Brewing Co. We ordered a 15 BBL brewhouse and (4) 30 BBL fermenters. Our lease started August 1st on a 5000 sq ft facility. We will have a tap room as well, but no restaurant. Anyway, follow our progress at www.facebook.com/HailStormBrewingCo

Liked your page -- looking forward to seeing how it all goes for you !

I grew up in Country Club Hills and now live in Montgomery so I will definitely be dropping by when you open up!
Congrats on the brewery, wishing you success and great beer.

Thanks. I think I know who you are.

I am sure if I knew your name I would know who you are as that school was pretty small when I/we went there, but you would have been a freshmen when I was a senior. At that time, I was not drinking craft beer:D

Guy

Keg washer came in today :) It's semi-automated, put the kegs on and push a button on the touch screen and it runs the cycle. Does 3 kegs simultaneously. We also ordered it with a third reservoir for acid rinse so every 5 or so cycles on a keg we can run an acid cycle to clean out beer stone and re-passivate the stainless.

ForumRunner_20131105_142211.jpg

ForumRunner_20131105_142224.jpg

subscribing to thread since when i retire from Marines this is my dream. I wish you guys all the best and if i am ever in the area i will def check you out.

Looking good. We have been threatening to go to "Chicago" this fall. I'll keep following this for progress for sure!

Not really exciting stuff, but we got the trench drain, catch basin, and all the underground plumbing in for the brewery and the tap room. Inspector comes tomorrow, and if he approves, we'll get a skid steer, tamper, and a truck load of CA-6 for Wednesday to backfill and compact the subgrade. Thursday we'll pour concrete.

ForumRunner_20131111_161907.jpg

ForumRunner_20131111_162008.jpg

ForumRunner_20131111_161959.jpg

ForumRunner_20131111_162025.jpg

It's been a lot of work up to this point,that's easy to see. you should be seeing the light at the end of the ol' time tunnel about now!...

We poured the concrete this past Friday, coming together. All equipment is inbound. Things are going to happen quick now. The drainage was a much bigger undertaking time-wise than we anticipated.

ForumRunner_20131117_155224.jpg

ForumRunner_20131117_155248.jpg

ForumRunner_20131117_155308.png

More goodies arrived today...grain mill, labeler, grain auger, cellar control panel, brewing hose, HLT & CLT pumps, portable pump, and all kinds of fittings/valves/RTD's/solenoid valves/etc.

ForumRunner_20131118_152505.png

ForumRunner_20131118_152518.jpg

ForumRunner_20131118_152525.png

ForumRunner_20131118_152534.png

ForumRunner_20131118_152544.png

ForumRunner_20131118_152554.png

ForumRunner_20131118_152605.png

ForumRunner_20131118_152614.jpg

ForumRunner_20131118_152625.jpg

Can you describe the cellar control panel and the cellar?

The "cellar" consists of the fermenters and brite tank. The cellar control panel houses the temperature controllers for those vessels, as well as the cold liquor tank and hot liquor tank. It is hooked to the RTD's in those vessels as well as the glycol solenoid valves (stream solenoid valves in the case of the HLT) that allow glycol/steam to enter the jacket of that vessel.

The kick wall that will separate the tasting room from the brewery and part of the wall that will go behind the bar (walkin cooler will sit behind that wall w/ the taps coming through the wall) built. We also removed an 8.5'x4' section of asphalt from behind the building tonight (so we can pour a concrete pad for the glycol chiller) with a pick axe and crow bar...that sucked! Luckily we had borrowed a partner saw last week and had saw cut the perimeter so we have nice clean edges. Wish we would have had that saw again tonight to cut it into smaller chunks instead of prying it up in huge pieces and smashing it up.

ForumRunner_20131120_191738.jpg

ForumRunner_20131120_191746.jpg

I have a personal question: When you're up and running how much do you and your partner expect to bring home as a salary?

I'm trying to calculate out what sort of income one could earn based upon different brewery capacities. All part of a potential business for my friend and I. The plan being to quit our current jobs and do this full time hopefully replacing our current income.

Another question, with a 15bbl brewhouse and 30bbl fermenters are you then brewing back to back batches in order to fill a single fermenter?

I have a personal question: When you're up and running how much do you and your partner expect to bring home as a salary?

I'm trying to calculate out what sort of income one could earn based upon different brewery capacities. All part of a potential business for my friend and I. The plan being to quit our current jobs and do this full time hopefully replacing our current income.

Another question, with a 15bbl brewhouse and 30bbl fermenters are you then brewing back to back batches in order to fill a single fermenter?

On the brew house question, yes, we will be brewing back to back batches to fill a fermenter.

As far as your salary question, ask me in a year. I'm planning to work the first year without drawing a salary.

Back