Announcing a new Brewery – Torrent Brewing Co

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
My business partner and I are about to dive into the deep end of the pool opening our brewery in Ames, IA. The brewery is named Torrent Brewing Company and we are so very close to finalizing our lease on a 5000 sq. ft. building. We’re going to have an industrial/ factory style looking brewery and taproom and will serve no food, rather we’ll invite in food vendors on a rotation. I’ll update this thread with our progress and answer questions along the way. You’ll also find a lot of info and pics as things develop by following our Facebook page.

Clapping!

Good for you. Really looking forward to following your progress. It's such a fun journey. You can't imagine what excitement and joy you are in for!

Congratulations! I am looking forward to following your progress. When do you plan to file with the TTB? What size brewhouse and where are you buying it from? I don't do facebook so this is my only window into your world of opening the brewery.

Ok so in the last two weeks we have finalized our location. I’ll get some photos of the inside up soon but think big empty room right now. Our floor plan is being looked at by the city right now. Later today we’ll be ordering our 3bbl system (BK, MLT & (2) BT including some extra parts) from Stout Tanks and Kettles, were going with an on-demand hot water heater instead of a HLT. While we work with the city on our plan were also getting our paperwork filled out and hope to submit it to the TTB by the first of May. Keep watching our progress as we build out the brewery and post updates as things progress.

504 Burnett Avenue.jpg

How did I miss this thread?!?

Can't wait for the grand opening. Or the pre-opening for your oldest and dearest Cyclone friends! :D

An old Cyclone wishes you luck. I drank a lot of beer at the other Ames brewery in college. Went back a few years later after really discovering craft beer in the Northwest, and found out it wasn't that good.

Good luck, make some great beers. I'll stop in the next time I travel back for tailgating.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Awesome. I'll definitely stop by when I am in town.

Will you do 2.5 gallon corny fills so I can bring it with to tailgate?

What are your hopes on when you plan to open for business?

I'm sure we could hook your tailgate up somehow. We hope (depending on curveballs) to be open in August as a ballpark.

Got the order put in yesterday for the BK, MLT, (2) BT and a bunch of misc. items. Working on a 16 page waste water questionnaire from the city to help push the plan along. Also getting TTB forms filled out.

While we’re on a 3bbl system, I hope none. If I can sell it all through the taproom that would be ideal. If we have a surplus of beer then we’ll look to sell to a few bars/ restaurants but primarily as a sort of advertising. I struggle to see how a brewery say less than 7bbl could distribute much at all and make it worth the time.

While we’re on a 3bbl system, I hope none. If I can sell it all through the taproom that would be ideal. If we have a surplus of beer then we’ll look to sell to a few bars/ restaurants but primarily as a sort of advertising. I struggle to see how a brewery say less than 7bbl could distribute much at all and make it worth the time.

I figured that but just wanted to ask. I'll be opening a 15bbl brewery in about a year or so... Shooting for next summer

Best of luck to you guys! It's a big step and I hope it all goes well.

Any food plans? Proper brewpub or just tap room?

Got some good news yesterday, our brewing system should be delivered within a month. That’s about two months earlier than expected! We’ve gotten really, super close with our plan and the city approval so hopefully well get to build something in the next few weeks. Today is a making copies day so we can upload lots of documents to the TTB website. TTB paperwork is getting closer to being finished, but when you’ve heard its work that’s true and a little confusing at times!

So after some last second explaining with the city of what we want to do I’m told our building permit is being signed and is on its way in the mail (we don’t have to wait). Also as far a TTB permitting goes were just getting the final fed bond number and reviewing our paperwork before submitting. We’ve also got a plumber giving us a quote to bring water from under our bar and connect it into the rest of the system. Here’s a picture of how the building sits right now (60'x90') looking in from the garage door and also our taproom and brewery layout.

Building - Inside.jpg

BUILDING-LAYOUT-1.jpg

Looks great, man. Can't wait to stop by.

As an aside, I worked at the Fareway across the street in 1999-2000 and a production company filmed a scene or two for an independent movie in that building one day while I was working. Pretty funny experience.

That floor layout makes too much sense. Change it please.

I’ll get right on the deconstruction and mudding of the plan, LOL. My partner is big into process flow at his job and I’m a designer in mine. We’re also looking to keep the factory feel so that’s where the chain link and low 8’ walls come into play. Thanks for the feedback.

No windows into the brewery unless it's in the door. Are you going to show off your barrel racks?

We'll have two windows into the barrel room and you'll be able to see the brewing area through chain link near the restrooms

As of yesterday we have finally submitted our paperwork online to the TTB! Now with the building permit in hand (got it Tues) we’ll begin building some walls while the floor and plumbing work gets a little further down the road. Also as of today we’ve launched our KICKSTARTER project. So lots of stuff really starting to happen!

Yeah our taproom is over 2,100sf, so we got plenty of space. Still thinking about some games we want to put in. The first lumber order is going in this week and construction of the cold room, office, meeting and small storage room are first up. I'll make sure I get some good pics.

We’ve started construction as of today and the plumber should continue their work through next week. We are also into step 2 of 3 in the fed licensing process. Heading over to an old factory later today on a salvage mission, should be fun to see what we can find!

Back