Angry wife

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Atm i have a angry wife because all my fermentation bottles just stand there being ugly in the living room. What are your solutions to put the kegs in? A foto or visualisation would be nice

The majority of my beer gear goes under my basement steps (finished basement). The kegs go in the kegerator after filling and full carboy's depending on the style usually reside in my temp controlled chest freezer.

To be fair, how many do you have? In my house SWMBO is cool with a bucket in the closet and one discreetly under a desk in the kitchen. Any more than that and I know I'm pushing the envelope.

I try to keep one keg of her preferred beer on tap at all times and the wine fridge stocked...happy wife happy life!

Mine is the same way. I had ten pounds of honey for this weekends brew and she says "that honey is such an eye sore" it was sitting next to two carboys. I guess those were ok? :D

Guess I'm lucky. I get tired of looking at my Fermentors in the dining room before my wife does. I've never had more then 3 at a time though.

Having the wife angry is not good, so you better find an amicable solution.
Guys in general have lower standards of appearance and don't see things the way many women do.

Unless you keep your living room cool, those fermentors (carboys) are usually better off in a cooler place (60-66°F) anyway. Now lifting and dragging around full glass vessels of that size is dangerous, so perhaps buckets would be better suited? They come with handles.

Basement perhaps? Do you have a brew space? Everyone needs some space of their own.

Last edited:
Hey, if she let you keep brewing stuff in the living room for even five minutes, you're way ahead of most of us. Just store it in a closet out of sight.

I either keep stuff in the basement, or (during winter months), in my daughter's former bedroom - she's out of college and living out of town (soon-to-be homeowner)....so the lime green former teenage girl bedroom houses fermentors, and several guitars/amps....it's mine all mine, dahnabbit

I agree with the consensus on buckets instead of carboys. At least with buckets, you can drape some nice faux fur over them (making a hole for the airlock of course) and use them as extra seating for guests, or an ottoman. If anyone asks what the airlock is, you can tell them if they have to ask, they don't want to know. While handing them a homebrew, of course.

Plastic buckets on the kitchen floor, fermenting bottle of mead on the table, secondary fermentors under the dining table, cider aging in the spare bedroom, a wire rack cart with brewing equipment in the living room.

Wife doesn't complain... she left me 25 years ago. Guess I'm not much help, eh?

mine is mad because i have spent every second of free time i have working on my brew room for the last 9 days. Almost done though :) thats what i tell here every night

Never saw another post from this guy. This guy ever solve his issue or are we solving our own? haha.

I used "mission creep" on my wife. Took a new job and got a 3 bedroom flat at a very fair price. It's just the two of us, so we have two "empty" bedrooms. So I took over one and it was kept as a cool room (64-65F). Then when I started to make Saisons and Meads with Belgian yeast requiring a warm room, I took over the "guest bedroom" and one of the bathrooms (for cleaning the buckets and such). At first she was surprised that I wanted the "guest room". When I said it was not going to be used for quite a while, she caved in. At present I am making a conciliatory batch of Mango wine (her favorite). At least if I am home brewing, I am at home. Once that wine is done, a chest freezer will appear :mug::ban:

This is what the guest bedroom ended up looking like at one point...

4 batches.jpg

I was thinking in creating a cubbort with those boxes they put fish in on ice. To make my racking chamber.

And yeah a happy wife is a brewer without a headache

I keep my empty carboys and buckets in the garage. When I brew, they're between my desk and a bookshelf partially hides them and keeps them cool and shady. The wife and kids complain about the yeasty smells and beer when it blows. They don't mind the smell too much when it's honey...
Build a workbench in your garage with enough room to store all your carboys/buckets. Built in shelves to store chemicals, brushes and tools are handy.

I have a corner of the basement. Carboys, buckets, Rubbermaid containers and a two shelf unit. If I had a forth wall and a sink/counter top I'd be in heaven.

I would have to think some jewelry draped over the necks of those carboys may just make them more acceptable looking. :D

At least with buckets, you can drape some nice faux fur over them (making a hole for the airlock of course) and use them as extra seating for guests, or an ottoman.

What now?!? Ah, this is the mead forum. You know you could not get away with that on the beer forum. :) For example:

1. Faux? It's spelled "fox" for cripe's sake!
2. "Nice" faux fur? Is there a specific hair count that constitutes the "nice" stuff?
3. Sure. You can also keep your garbage cans, old toilets, or dead horses in the living room. Just be sure to drape some nice faux fur over them. (No one will notice.)
4. You had me at "making a hole (in the fur) for the..."
5. What kinda lousy chairs do you have at your place that people might want to sit on some mysterious object covered in faux fur? (Even the "nice" stuff.)
6. Where do you think that airlock might end up when they sit down? (It was a one in a million shot, doc. One in a million.)
7. As long as we're covering all lumpy household objects with fur, why not use the real stuff? (Probably too nice -- dead donors notwithstanding.)

Well, better stop to give some other beer drinkers a chance. Thanks for playing.

What now?!? Ah, this is the mead forum. You know you could not get away with that on the beer forum. :) For example:

1. Faux? It's spelled "fox" for cripe's sake!
2. "Nice" faux fur? Is there a specific hair count that constitutes the "nice" stuff?
3. Sure. You can also keep your garbage cans, old toilets, or dead horses in the living room. Just be sure to drape some nice faux fur over them. (No one will notice.)
4. You had me at "making a hole (in the fur) for the..."
5. What kinda lousy chairs do you have at your place that people might want to sit on some mysterious object covered in faux fur? (Even the "nice" stuff.)
6. Where do you think that airlock might end up when they sit down? (It was a one in a million shot, doc. One in a million.)
7. As long as we're covering all lumpy household objects with fur, why not use the real stuff? (Probably too nice -- dead donors notwithstanding.)

Well, better stop to give some other beer drinkers a chance. Thanks for playing.

My sincerest apologies to the mead brewers (is that how you make mead?) for inadvertently suggesting creative solutions for disguising their fermenting equipment. I simply did not look at the forum source before posting. And since there is apparently such a vast difference in mead vs. beer equipment, instead of (nice) faux fur, I would have suggested covering the buckets with (nice) faux hides of honeybees in honor of, and in deference to, the indomitable effort those little buggers put into mead's most critical ingredient. As far as the airlock goes, your guests will just have to watch where they plant themselves.

Mine are actually in the kitchen (I'm still dying from the faux fur posts, you guys are a riot!)

So I have a tall table similar to a console table or hostess stand with no front that everything sits on top of while fermenting. I do cover because there's a window so it's just tea towels. Have been tempted to crochet carboy covers but I think if a hobby overlaps into another additional hobby there could be issues!

Extra equipment has stowing space out of the way under my table, smaller pieces have a drawer and pantry shelf and for now that's working. I'm holding out on more expansion until after we move but then with the new build I'll have a room all to myself for this with no need to crossover to other areas unless its moving bottled items out the the cellar.

In my living room, I have a spot in a corner that we never could figure out what to put in. It was small but large enough for my 8 brewing vessels. 3 buckets, the rest glass carboys. I even just hung a dry erase board up on the wall over it that in my next set of meads, I plan on keeping notes on.

I am lucky that I have only 10 feet to the kitchen there. I have been thinking on making a heavy duty shelf for it. (8 full vessels is about 40 or so gallons of liquid is very heavy)

Matrix

If you get rid of the wife you can brew wherever the hell you want, hoorah! I can brew in my washing machine, attic, dishwasher, cabinets, toilet (like prison wine), bathtub, fish tank, and well you get the point. I may just got shoot a deer and try turning it into a fermenter... hmm you could fill from the mouth and have a spout at the button. Lift it's tail to pour a drink.... oh the ideas!

I gave my wife full control of all gardens outdoors, in exchange for my full control of the basement. I've set aside 30% for "recreation and exercise," but the rest is "The Brewery."

I find that when my wife gets to bitching and moaning, if I put my head between her legs, the bitching seems to stop and the moaning gets a little loader. I work hard to make sure things cum to a very happy ending. It seems to last for a while before I need to do it again.

Just a suggestion....

I gave my wife full control of all gardens outdoors, in exchange for my full control of the basement. I've set aside 30% for "recreation and exercise," but the rest is "The Brewery."

Does she mow the lawn, too?

Back