Amount of Time You Can Store Beer in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottG58

Reaction score
I am setting up a kegerator. I will have three taps. How long will a refrigerated keg on gas last before it goes bad or gets bad flavors?

Depends on the beer too.

Commercial kegs don't really last that long, maybe a few months.

Homebrew will last for a long time. I've had stuff in a keg for more than a year. Hoppy beers will lose their hoppiness in a few months, but they are still drinkable.

I general, higher ABV equals longer life. Higher hoppiness translates to a shorter 'prime of life', but it doesn't necessarily go bad.

Duboman and B-Boy have it right, you're pretty much good to go as long as you need. The biggest player is sanitation as dubonman mentioned. As long as that is in check and you're pumping in CO2 (versus air like hand pump taps), that beer will last as long as you want it to.

The hoppiness can change over time too as b-boy mentioned, but that's no different than bottles anyway...

Duboman and B-Boy have it right, you're pretty much good to go as long as you need. The biggest player is sanitation as dubonman mentioned. As long as that is in check and you're pumping in CO2 (versus air like hand pump taps), that beer will last as long as you want it to.

The hoppiness can change over time too as b-boy mentioned, but that's no different than bottles anyway...

So I can expect similar shelf life as bottled beer?

So I can expect similar shelf life as bottled beer?

As long as sanitation is good as other mentioned, then I would expect better as there is no risk of kegged beer being skunked by the light.. Stay away from the light!

As mentioned flavor will change. Not horribly as long as you'e using co2 or other neutral gas, but after a few years an ipa isn't as hoppy.
Sometimes it could be to your advantage. Had cocoa nibs in a keg in some beer and it just kept getting better. Had it for 3 or 4 years in the fridged keg.
With sorgum (due to being gluten free) it tastes better with age. I can't drink it until it sits for 6 months to a year.

Back