American Sour Beer – Book!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit: e-book will be out a couple/few months after the hard copy.

No plans for an audio book. I'd have to work on my voices for the various brewers quoted.

will you sell directly to retail stores at wholesale pricing or do i need to go through my distributors? i would like to have some copies on my shelf asap!!!

It's being published by Brewer's Publications, so it'll be the same route all of their other books go out (i.e., I've got nothing to do with it unless I'm doing an event or something).

Are you doing an event or something?

I'll be speaking at NHC, signing books at GABF, and I'm sure events in at least DC and San Diego. Not sure what else I'll end up doing though.

Well, post got eaten - thanks Safari.

Anyway... I'm excited, have been since you first said you were writing a book. I've had to figure out everything through interviews, emails to brewers (you included!), and guesswork in the 3+ years I've been brewing sours.

Pre-ordered, obviously... I may need to get a second copy for when the first one inevitably wears out.

BTW, how much of the book is dedicated to blending? It's one of the most important aspects of sour production (I will be bottling my first gueuze later this year) but there are no real resources on the homebrewing level.

BTW, how much of the book is dedicated to blending? It's one of the most important aspects of sour production (I will be bottling my first gueuze later this year) but there are no real resources on the homebrewing level.
i certainly hope blending is covered in the book, but i wonder how much it can be written about. while there might well be some basic rules, it really comes down to palette and experience. writing that a blend "should be balanced" is hard to put into action.

i look forward to mike proving me wrong :D

i certainly hope blending is covered in the book, but i wonder how much it can be written about. while there might well be some basic rules, it really comes down to palette and experience. writing that a blend "should be balanced" is hard to put into action.

i look forward to mike proving me wrong :D

Spot on. It’s one of the most important aspects, but it’s also one of the trickiest things to express through words alone. There is a chapter dedicated to blending, looking not only at it from a flavor standpoint but also the actual process of combining beers for tasting/packaging. There is also the technical aspect of predicting carbonation from dissimilar components.

Like most aspects of sour beer production, there are a few distinct techniques. Several brewers simply taste the lot, toss out the “off” barrels, and blend the rest. Others do that, then blend in acid or dry beer to adjust the acidity if needed. Other breweries really craft a blend pulling a few components from many options, using beers brewed to different recipes/ages/flavors. Solera is another method gaining popularity, combining beers during aging. In the end though it comes down to tasting, practice, vision etc. a book can’t give you those, but hopefully I can send people in the right direction.

Is this now a July, 7, 2014 release (this is what Amazon is listing)?

It may be a bit before that. The goal is to have it available at the AHA Conference in mid-June, but not sure how long it takes to get to Amazon and then to you. We've known for a while that the release would have to be pushed back a bit, but we wanted to avoid multiple times as has happened with some previous releases.

The manuscript is completely out of my hands at this point, I won't get to see it again until it is printed and ready to sell!

Post a draft copy on here!

My blog will be getting some of the trimmings over the next month or so. My descriptions of commercial microbes were deemed to be not "permanent" enough for publication, as was the updated list of breweries with harvest-able dregs. For space considerations chapters/sections on funky saisons, kvass, herbed/spiced beers (including gruit), sour beer food pairings, ice concentration etc. were all removed. Still nearly 400 pages, but after the work I put in it needs to go somewhere.

My blog will be getting some of the trimmings over the next month or so.
yes please! the trimmings you describe sound pretty damn tasty. i understand that in a few years some of that info might not be fresh, but i'd be happy to digest it right now.

how many more food/nutrition references can i throw in there? i'll chew that one over and let you know...

yes please! the trimmings you describe sound pretty damn tasty. i understand that in a few years some of that info might not be fresh, but i'd be happy to digest it right now.

how many more food/nutrition references can i throw in there? i'll chew that one over and let you know...

Nice thing about keeping it digital is that I can keep it updated as I use new releases and as breweries change their processes.

just get it all up there. even if it's in bulk, un-commented/un-annotated format... we'll sort through it :)

thanks mike! really getting excited for this book.

(got some homebrewed sours for you to try, if/when we next meet up)

My blog will be getting some of the trimmings over the next month or so. My descriptions of commercial microbes were deemed to be not "permanent" enough for publication, as was the updated list of breweries with harvest-able dregs. For space considerations chapters/sections on funky saisons, kvass, herbed/spiced beers (including gruit), sour beer food pairings, ice concentration etc. were all removed. Still nearly 400 pages, but after the work I put in it needs to go somewhere.

Is the page with the commercial dregs public? I came across in on a random google search about a month ago, but can't recreate the search or find it on your site now.

Put my order in last weekend. I'm not a major sour head but Mike makes it read so delicious. Been reading themadfermentationist for some time and it's where I learned about sour beer. Thanks Mike!

Did anyone find the link to a 400 page draft lying around

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

At least everyone could have played along!

I promise the book will be well worth the wait. Rather than just my usual un-verified minimally-edited ramblings you'll get something that has gone through loads of review from a talented group of people.

LOL. Touché ***** Cat-O.

Mike - you should post the count on how many times that link is opened...

Made it to 100 before I deleted it. All IP addresses were logged and your orders have been cancelled, no refunds.

Back