American Sour Beer – Book!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds promising! It'll probably end up on my christmas wish list..

Of course not - both of these are generally bigger areas.. A book on Japanese feudalism has noting to do with the US. On the other hand such a book would draw parallels and look at differences to the development in medieval Europe - moreover would it look at the tremendous cultural influence from China etc. Same goes for a french wine book..

The point being - It's a style of EU origin.. Credit where its due..

I am just about finished with the book, it is very good and focuses on the processes used by American brewers to create sour beers. There are numerous references to the historical origins and techniques used by the European brewers that originated the style. Excellent read.

The book gives this credit throughout its entirety, even saying that some American breweries are trying to learn from the better EU breweries. You have literally judged a book by its cover. :D

:mug: Not really trying to be judgmental - more like trying to figure out if the book would have any value to me..

Read the book or don't... but you might consider weighing in on its merits or deficiencies after having done so!

I normally try to figure out which books I'm going like before reading them.. (It's a habit that reduces wasting time and money..)
Where better to inquire than in a thread started by the author. In this case I've been made aware that there might more suitable books for me about sours.. :eek:

The point being - It's a style of EU origin.. Credit where its due..
all beers originated from europe - so books can't be about american beer, because at some point hundreds of years ago it started in europe?

IPA, as a style, started in england. but the US's modern take on the IPA is unique. would it be wrong to write a book called "American IPAs"?

an not unlike IPAs, sours have taken their own direction in the US. the book doesn't ignore this fact... it just focuses on what is the current situation is.

I normally try to figure out which books I'm going like before reading them.. (It's a habit that reduces wasting time and money..)
Where better to inquire than in a thread started by the author. In this case I've been made aware that there might more suitable books for me about sours.. :eek:

Inquire? You haven't. No questions. Curious form of inquiry.

Inquire? You haven't. No questions. Curious form of inquiry.

And yet I got exactly the information I was looking for (within hours and from the author himself):

My book certainly dabbles in the Belgian, German, and English sour/funky beer traditions, but those weren’t the primary focus because Jeff Sparrow, Stan Hieronymus, and Ron Pattinson respectively beat me to the punch! It starts out with an overview of those country's traditions, and includes suggestions for beers to sample that illustrate them. As a way to give context to the beers and methods developed by US breweries over the last 20 years.

So thanks to Michael Tonsmeire and all others whom chimed with alternative suggestions..

I clearly touched a sore spot - it wasn't intentional..

I'm somewhat ambivalent about this book, based on the US-centric title.

On one hand I'm intrigued and want to read it..

On the other hand - writing a book exclusively about american sours is ethnocentric to the point of being ridiculous..

Really!? You are going to insult a guy for writing a book on what he thinks is a valued and unaddressed topic? Heaven forbid someone address America's contribution without going on about how everyone else is so wonderful. Oh well, I guess your idealism will keep you from taking advantage of what can be learned from the best book written on the subject as of yet while you judge the book on its cover through your political correctness lens.

And yet I got exactly the information I was looking for (within hours and from the author himself):

My book certainly dabbles in the Belgian, German, and English sour/funky beer traditions, but those weren’t the primary focus because Jeff Sparrow, Stan Hieronymus, and Ron Pattinson respectively beat me to the punch! It starts out with an overview of those country's traditions, and includes suggestions for beers to sample that illustrate them. As a way to give context to the beers and methods developed by US breweries over the last 20 years.

So thanks to Michael Tonsmeire and all others whom chimed with alternative suggestions..

I clearly touched a sore spot - it wasn't intentional..

As a humungous fanboy of Tonsmeire and his book, I think I know where Hjanderson is coming from. Although his tone may be misinterpreted, it's not the first time I have heard this sort of "confusion" if you will about the title of Mike's book. In fact, I was thinking about mentioning this in my review of his book on my youtube channel, but thought that it was nitpicking... perhaps I was wrong?

A European homebrewer once stated to me that he saw this book, but because it was titled "American" that it wouldn't apply to what he was trying to make at home, which was Belgian kriek. I explained to this fellow that some of the techniques in this book would indefinitely prove to be much easier than the spontaneous fermentation techniques that are traditional to Belgian brewing and described in "Wild Brews" and that he should most certainly buy "American Sour Beers" because, in essence, Americans have simplified the brewing of sour beers. He understood once I explained this to him.

The title of the book comes from the well-earned perspective of American brewers "reinterpreting" the sour brewing process, as Americans have done with others styles (such as IPA, barley wine, stout, etc). As a side effect, the title can come off as either ethnocentric or at least confusing to those who are more familiar with Belgian sour brewing. It's a catch 22, unfortunately, but in the end I think that the title "American Sour Beers" is the most appropriate title that Mike could have chosen. These are NOT lambic sour beers, they are NOT Flanders style beers. They are indeed "American" style beers, and although they can be similar in flavor profile to the Belgian styles, they are still fundamentally different due to the differences in brewing processes.

As supporters of this book and sour brewing at home, we should be aware of this misinterpretation of the book's title, and be mindful about informing those who misinterpret it as a book that they really should read.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about this book, based on the US-centric title.

On one hand I'm intrigued and want to read it..
On the other hand - writing a book exclusively about american sours is ethnocentric to the point of being ridiculous..

- I really liked the composition of Mitch Steele's book on IPAs..

Lack of the appropriate historical context would be a bummer..

Seems like you should read the book before going after it like this.

Why would he write exhaustively about a topic others have already done so for? He touches on the classic styles and history, but that's not the main topic of the book, so it would be a waste of breath to do much more.

As a humungous fanboy of Tonsmeire and his book, I think I know where Hjanderson is coming from. Although his tone may be misinterpreted, it's not the first time I have heard this sort of "confusion" if you will about the title of Mike's book.

Brewers Publications is on a kick of using "simpler" titles (e.g., IPA, Yeast). I was told it is more to make the sale to book buyers than consumers. If it had been up to me it would have been Mad Fermentations: yada yada.

Cheers!

Lost my copy in Atlanta airport while travelling home Monday. Hope whoever ends up with it enjoys. Now, to get another copy.

that's why I love Kindle books.. of course except when you lose the damn kindle.... LOL

PS Folks - drink more beer.

Just finished the book! This is a fantastic book from start to finish and I would recommend it to anyone who brews sour beers or wants to. Thanks again!

In looking at the recipes, the dark winter saisons draw my attention right away. Do you have a favorite between the 4 of them? They all are obviously different, but a dark saison sound fantastic, just dont know which one to try first.

EDIT: I see from the blog that #4 was your favorite. How is #5 coming along?

Just finished the book! This is a fantastic book from start to finish and I would recommend it to anyone who brews sour beers or wants to. Thanks again!

In looking at the recipes, the dark winter saisons draw my attention right away. Do you have a favorite between the 4 of them? They all are obviously different, but a dark saison sound fantastic, just dont know which one to try first.

EDIT: I see from the blog that #4 was your favorite. How is #5 coming along?

Cheers!

Here are the tasting notes for #5 (aka Saison de Membrillo). Might be the most interesting of the bunch. Shared it with a couple brewers at Bluejacket while I was assisting on blending a historic tart-porter-ish thing, and one of them just said "I could sell that for a whole bunch of money." I'll take that praise!

#6 is sitting on cranberry sauce (cooked down fresh cranberries with orange peel) at the moment. Alex and I are in the planning stages for #7 still. Might be a bit later than usual...

Mike -

I have a question about malts; specifically American 2-Row vs Pilsner. Under Malts in the book, you mention that American 2-Row is a fine base given its neutral characteristics, but nearly ALL recipes I see for lambics/golden sours all start with pilsner. I know there probably isn't much difference between the (2). I tend to use 2-row in order to avoid the 90-min boil (2 young boys at home so all time savings are brew day are a blessing!). Other than a slightly lighter profile, is there any tangible advantage of using pilsner over 2-row? And if not, why does everyone opt for pilsner?

BTW, finished the book last week and started it over again last night, but skipping around hitting areas where I still have questions. Thanks for your work putting it all together for us.

Mike -

I have a question about malts; specifically American 2-Row vs Pilsner. Under Malts in the book, you mention that American 2-Row is a fine base given its neutral characteristics, but nearly ALL recipes I see for lambics/golden sours all start with pilsner. I know there probably isn't much difference between the (2). I tend to use 2-row in order to avoid the 90-min boil (2 young boys at home so all time savings are brew day are a blessing!). Other than a slightly lighter profile, is there any tangible advantage of using pilsner over 2-row? And if not, why does everyone opt for pilsner?

BTW, finished the book last week and started it over again last night, but skipping around hitting areas where I still have questions. Thanks for your work putting it all together for us.

Sorry for the late response... tradition! When you are talking about beers that take a year or two, people tend to be very risk averse. I always go to a bit of extra effort to do things right when a beer is going to be aging for that long. Cheers!

Up to 53 reviews on Amazon, with a 4.96 star average. Not sure what the sorting algorithm they use for “Avg Customer Review” is, but How to Brew is the only book in Beverages & Wine that ranks higher (although less flattering, right behind me is Tipsy Bartender "I'm having a girl over").

Thanks to everyone who has been reading it and recommending it to their fellow homebrewers. If this keeps up I may be forced into writing another… in ten years or so.

I've really enjoyed what I've read so far. A lot of beer books I've bought lately I've found myself skim reading out of boredom just wanting to be done, but you have a knack for keeping it interesting.

I've really enjoyed what I've read so far. A lot of beer books I've bought lately I've found myself skim reading out of boredom just wanting to be done, but you have a knack for keeping it interesting.

Thanks! I think part of my advantage was that I was learning as I wrote. Sure I had a few years of sours under my belt before I started, but I was genuinely interested in trying to answer questions I’d had. Not simply write down things already in my head. I started out writing at my own pace, and then got the publisher on board. Rather than start there, have them help me with the outline, and then write on their schedule.

I recently got an email from Penguin asking if I was interested in writing “Idiot’s Guide to Homebrewing.” They were offering a flat rate (no royalties) and only a few months to complete it. It is difficult to write something really fascinating under those conditions. I’m giving the guy they ended up getting to write it a recipe and some sour beer tips though.

Compare that to Randy Mosher’s forthcoming Mastering Homebrew. His code name for the project when I talked to him at GABF was "Randy Mosher’s Big ****ing Book of Brewing." Thing is massive, and beautiful design (like all of his books).

There is no way I will buy another book aimed at both beginners and master brewers at the same time. 150 pictures and 30 recipes. Sounds like filler material to me.

The most awkward example I can think of is DFH's Extreme Brewing. It sounds like your getting a book of extreme examples of how Sam Cologne crafts his awkward artisinal ales, and then you open the book and it shows large pictures and says "this is what a brew kettle looks like".

Im reading it now and loving it! However, my wife is a little taken back by the separate lacto, pedio, and brett starters on the kitchen counter. She thinks I will get sick and die.

I have read the entire book, and find myself skimming for information and re-reading chapters relevant to what I'm brewing. This book has proven to be an invaluable resource. Can't recommend this enough.

Up to 53 reviews on Amazon, with a 4.96 star average. Not sure what the sorting algorithm they use for “Avg Customer Review” is, but How to Brew is the only book in Beverages & Wine that ranks higher (although less flattering, right behind me is Tipsy Bartender "I'm having a girl over").

Thanks to everyone who has been reading it and recommending it to their fellow homebrewers. If this keeps up I may be forced into writing another… in ten years or so.

I'm proud to say that one of the 5-star reviews is from me. I love this book!

Honestly though, instead of another book, I'd love to see Hollywood make a screenplay out of this one. I'm thinking Jason Statham would make a good MT :rockin:

LOL - Tipsy Bartender is entertaining to watch! He has some damn amazing drinks, too! Besides most ladies aren't going to get head over heals over your Bourbon Barrel Double Chocolate Cherry Belgian Quad; with or without Brett...

:mug:

What people expect from authors and producers has really changed the last few years with Facebook and Twitter. I can’t imagine writing a book and not making yourself available to answer questions. So much information in the book was inspired by things I’d read here and on other forums. It’s a two-way street!

What people expect from authors and producers has really changed the last few years with Facebook and Twitter. I can’t imagine writing a book and not making yourself available to answer questions. So much information in the book was inspired by things I’d read here and on other forums. It’s a two-way street!

That is a great way of looking at it.

Now....Damn you Oldsock.

Since I read your book, I have to go out and buy more carboys because I have so many brews aging that I have run out. I brewed one sour and several brett saisons before I read your book. Now I have three sours going and three more brett saisons aging. It is hard because I am also keeping my regular pipeline up.

Just giving you some chit. Great book. I have read it and have gone back and read sections many times. Good stuff. Between your book and watching the Chad Yackobson videos I am having a hard time brewing a normal beer any more.

I was seconding the request to sticky. :) But yeah, it's very cool to have you still active in these forums.

Since I read your book, I have to go out and buy more carboys because I have so many brews aging that I have run out.

Seconded. I was quite content with my four 2.5-gallon kegs. Now I have 8 5-gallon corneys, one 10-gallon corney, and one 15-gallon corney...to the tune of $500....and its ALL MIKE'S FAULT, I TELL YOU!!!!!!!

:)

Seconded. I was quite content with my four 2.5-gallon kegs. Now I have 8 5-gallon corneys, one 10-gallon corney, and one 15-gallon corney...to the tune of $500....and its ALL MIKE'S FAULT, I TELL YOU!!!!!!!

:)
Ditto here! I've got 60 gallons going! About half is ready to bottle. If you're like me and hate bottling a 5 gallon batch, imagine bottling 30 gallons.....

Latest posts

Back