Am i not fermentinglong enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrummoRC

Reaction score
I am new to brewing - so I stated out doing 1 gallon batches over the winter - yes to stay out of the cold. But also to do a bunch of experiments to learn by.
My question relates to my last batch - it did a week in in primary and week in secondary fermentation - then bottled for two weeks +

When went to try it there was a 1/8 or more of settling on the bottom - more then the previous batches. Is that a sign i should let it sit longer in fermentation?

Maybe. I would recommend skipping the secondary entirely and just fermenting for about 3 weeks in the primary. At the end of fermentation, stick it in the fridge for a couple days to "cold crash", which will allow some of the remaining yeast and solids to drop out, then rack it over to your bottling bucket. This should help quite a bit with sediment issues and avoid you racking your beer too early off the yeast before it is done with primary fermentation. Consider adding irish moss or whirlfloc to your boil too. Also keep in mind that a thin layer of yeast will always be present at the bottom of every bottle of homebrew, but if 1/8 of your bottle is sediment something isn't going right. How do they taste?

Some yeast is bound to get into bottles. With that said, if your not putting any additives in your beer IE: dry hops, fruit, spices, ect. you can just leave it in the primary fermenter. With it sitting 3-4 weeks in there it will give the yeast time to ferment and clean up the beer pretty nicely.

As far as dry hops, you can do that in the primary just fine. My last IPA was DH in the primary for a week and came out excellent.... :cross:

Ime,the average beer takes 3 weeks to finish fermenting,& clean up/settle out clear or slightly misty. Then it's ready to bottle. By products of fermentation are cleaned up by then,most of the yeast & trub have settled out. so you get clear beer going into the bottles that still has plenty of yeast to carbonate them. 3 weeks @ 70F is the normal average time. Then fridge for a week to settle any chill haze & get co2 into solution.

Thanks for quick feed back!

As to taste - best batch yet - I am happy to say.

Yes I have since hear since this batch that moving the beer to secondary fermentation was not necessary, unless dry hopping. other batches i have started since i plan to modify my process to leave it in one bucket/carboy. Good advice.

I did use Irish moss in boil - I am leaning toward letting I sit three week instead of two AND adding a cold crash to my process!

All good advise! Thanks

Sounds good! I'm sure that you'll find a good long fermentation will go a long way in clearing it up. Also be sure you're being very careful when racking over to your bottling bucket so that you avoid picking up the sediment from the bottom.

Back