Aluminum Pot Thickness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You only talking 0.169" or 8 gauge in thickness, this must be the sides one would hope vs bottom thickness?
I would shop the net to see what's available in thickness plus prices before jumping on a purchase. Holiday season sales I would wait once you locate one.

If you can, and don't mind cooking outside, convert a keg to a keggle.

Look on Craig's list for a 15.5 gallon keg. Cut the top out, install a valve (weld or weldless) and you have a superior brewing kettle.

I bought one for $25 today. Someone responded to a wanted ad I had on Craig's list. It is a very nice Anheuser-Busch sanke keg. With a little TLC on the outside, this sucker will be a great addition to the brew family.

Of course it won't work on the stove, but ... it will not cost you an arm-anda-leg for a pretty stainless pot to boil 8+ gallons inside. That is a lot of wort.

What thickness should I be looking for when purchasing an Aluminum stock pot? I have a 32 quart SS one now, but it's annoying when trying to boil 7 gallons of water, so i want something bigger. Is 4.3mm thick enough? I was looking at this: http://www.instawares.com/stock-pot-aluminum-60.alsksp009.0.7.htm

Yes, it's thick enough. The 4.3 mm is roughly 11/64" thick or about .017 inches. As a reference, 1/8" thick would be 0.125", so it's a bit thicker than that and 1/8" is fairly substantial. When using a it for a boil kettle the thickness is not all that critical, so long as the damn thing doesn't fold up like tin foil through normal handling, which that particular one won't. That $58 price is pretty hot for a 60 quart aluminum kettle. I give it a thumbs up for a boil kettle, but if you have any plans to use it for a mash tun I would look into something with a matching false bottom. In that case a Megapot would be my choice. IMO, a real kettle is preferable to a converted keg for either a boil kettle or a mash tun. I have a converted keg boil kettle and I would trade it in a heartbeat for a real 60 qt kettle in either aluminum or SS.

Catt, ya need to move your decimal point one space to the right, 11/64 is not about .017 inches, 0.170" just looks better. Gotcha, ya must of ate too much turkey and bier.

lol...it's was evil Scotch this time, not beer. I find that I need several stiff drinks in order to make it through a Thanksgiving dinner with my relatives.

At least I think I got the 1/8" decimal equivalent part right. A pot only 0.017" thick would be less than half the thickness of common aluminum foil. That would be one very thin kettle indeed.:D

A pot only 0.017" thick would be less than half the thickness of common aluminum foil. That would be one very thin kettle indeed.
Let's play bust Catt's chops. :D

Have to move that decimal point again. Heavy duty aluminum foil is in the .0017 range.
And actually an economy stainless pot could very well be .017 thick.

there is another thread on here about the 60 quart Brinkman kettles on sale at Home Depot if you can still find one. I bought mine last week for $28 and they still had some. I already installed a weldless thermometer and SS spigot, its ready to brew.

Have to move that decimal point again. Heavy duty aluminum foil is in the .0017 range.
And actually an economy stainless pot could very well be .017 thick.

Not really. I just found this reference a moment ago and other sources seem to agree on 0.045" as the thickness for heavy duty aluminum foil (ie Reynolds Wrap):

http://www.instawares.com/reynolds-wrap-heavy-duty.627reyn.0.7.htm

Reynolds Wrap® Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil - Roll - 24'' x 1000'
Now the #1 Name in Household Foil is Available in a
Foodservice Package

* Highest Quality Foil -- Setting the standard with the heaviest gauge product available for stronger foil and superior performance over any other foodservice foil.
* Highest Quality Carton -- Revolutionary new wipable carton with a proprietary coating that serves as a permanent barrier to grease, water and spills in the foodservice kitchen.
* Guaranteed Quality -- Reynolds Wrap® Premium Foodservice Foil comes with a guarantee of quality and complete satisfaction with every purchase, or your purchase price will be refunded.
* Thickness -- .045"

Here's another: http://www.reliablepaper.com/Reynolds_Wrap_Heavy_Aluminum_Foil_12x500_p/rey620.htm

Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil

Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil is the most versatile of all food wrapping materials. It can withstand both heat and cold. Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil was first introduced in 1947. Since that time it has become one of the most immediately identifiable brands on the market. Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil is 98.5% aluminum. The balance is primarily iron and silicon. These are added to give the strength and puncture resistance obtained only in the alloy used in Reynolds household foil. Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil contains no recycled material and complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration requirements for direct contact with food.

How It Is Made

The brand that is known and sold all over the world is manufactured in two locations -- Louisville, Kentucky and Richmond, Virginia. Aluminum for Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil is placed into alloying furnaces at the continuous cast plant in Hot Springs, Arkansas and heated until molten. It is then modified to the correct alloy chemistry and fed into a machine known as a continuous caster. The continuous caster converts molten aluminum to a coil of metal by forcing it between large, water cooled chill rollers at several feet per minute. The aluminum is formed as a long sheet with a thickness of .045. It's rolled into large coils that measure 74 inches in diameter and weigh over 30,000 pounds! These coils are shipped in Reynolds specially designed rail cars to Richmond and Louisville, where they are converted into the Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil we all know.

Yes, I suppose you could find some really cheap SS pots as thin as 0.017" but I don't think you will see many that thin made of aluminum. The common late model aluminum beer & soda cans are about 0.005" thick (or thin, I suppose), so 0.017" would be only a little more than three times the thickness of an aluminum beer can. That's still pretty thin IMO.

. The common late model aluminum beer & soda cans are about 0.005" thick (or thin, I suppose), so 0.017" would be only a little more than three times the thickness of an aluminum beer can. That's still pretty thin IMO.

So, a beer can is .005/.045, or 1/9 the thickness of Al foil...what kind of scotch was this anyway?
A SS kettle roughly .017/.045 or 1/3 the thickness of foil...cmon?

No wonder most business close shop today.

Not really. I just found this reference a moment ago and other sources seem to agree on 0.045" as the thickness for heavy duty aluminum foil (ie Reynolds Wrap):
Well, it's safe to say that you have no sense of dimension. To put it in perspective, a dime is a little over .045 thick. Try wrapping that around your leftover pizza.

So, a beer can is .005/.045, or 1/9 the thickness of Al foil...what kind of scotch was this anyway?
A SS kettle roughly .017/.045 or 1/3 the thickness of foil...cmon?

No wonder most business close shop today.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but that's what those two sources list for the foil thickness. Take a look see for yourself.

Take a look see for yourself.

"These coils are shipped in Reynolds specially designed rail cars to Richmond and Louisville, where they are converted into the Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil we all know."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_foil

Large roll of aluminium foil, with micrometer showing a thickness of 0.013 mm (0.00051 in)

No worries as Catt is a bud of mine (last time I checked) and wanted to tease him, what are friends for?

I like that .045" piazza foil wrap reply, just need to anneal it and use a sandbag with hammer to form it to the piazza so what's the problem? It can be reused for years saving the world of used once then trashed waste.

Latest posts

Back