Altering/ re-balancing roasty porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkecw

Reaction score
got a good one for you:

A few months back I attended a wedding of two beer fans, complete with brewery growler cap decorations, beer themed place-cards, and, pertinent to this thread, decorative pint glasses filled with 3 different colored malts (pale, amber and dark).

Several drinks in and with ancient brewing knowledge at my disposal, I got the great idea to craft up a "special wedding beer" for the couple (both big porter/ stout enthusiasts) using the very malt used in the decor, to be served at a gathering now 3 weeks away. Always up for a challenge, the malt came to me in a single 6 pound bag, all well-mixed together. From the bride I learned she ordered equal amounts of the 3 colors, though didnt know the exact grainbill. game on. by sight and taste I assumed 2# us 2 row, 2# c80/90, and 2# black patent..

So information in hand and against all common sense, I went ahead supplementing with an additional 12# 2 row (get the black malt down to 10% of weight) and brewed a 7.5 gal batch of what I aimed to be porter (1.054 OG/ 1.013 FG), bittered (37IBU) with some leftover chinook and columbus and pitched some harvested 1056.

the ferment went very smooth a week in now and hit terminal gravity at ~75% attenuation as planned, but as one might predict having used 2# of black malt, has an overly roasted, smoky, and light ashy finish.

Now to the point: has anyone tried doctoring up an overly roasty beer to smooth out the harsh? No time between now and the party to brew a milder batch and blend. My initial thought was turn it to a sweet/ milk porter with some lactose in the keg, but the bride is lactose intolerant, so that's a no-go. maltodextrin? double down on sweet smoke and add molasses? Intentionally oxidizing to round out the flavors? Good old fashioned time? Its not a bad beer and the flavors up front are actually quite nice, just a long light charcoal finish detracts from the overall impression.

a fun experiment, brewing blind and severely self-limited to ingredients on hand.

Cheers

No real suggestions to you, I don't think adding maltodextrin will hide or impact the harshness of the black patent - it will just give the beer a fuller mouthful and some sweetness, but it will still have the harshness.

Molasses sounds like the best bet of those you listed. Wonder if adding some coffee or chocolate in secondary would help.

Latest posts

Back