All my BIAB brews taste like wheat beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evenin guys

Recently got into AG BIAB. After some fussing around and sorting out of equipment, I've made 3 recipes, all quite similar, and they all have the same very distinct flavour. As a total newb, I figured it was simply the 2-row that I tasted, but apparently not.

My dad took a bottle to his brew club and they decided that it has a certain wheat flavour to it.

The guys claim that this can be from over-squeezing the bag, which my extensive (if likely ineffective) googling hasn't seen written anywhere else. Since it's a small club, in which NOBODY does BIAB, and the very concept of no-chill cube-ing terrified them, I'm not sure what to think. They're a very off-line group, so I doubt they brew-geek and read all the stuff posted here.

Long story short, is here any reason for a wheat type flavour in a BIAB brew? All recipes have been 21+ day primary ferments with US-05 at room-ish temperature.

Thanks for any input

-Scott

Evenin guys

Recently got into AG BIAB. After some fussing around and sorting out of equipment, I've made 3 recipes, all quite similar, and they all have the same very distinct flavour. As a total newb, I figured it was simply the 2-row that I tasted, but apparently not.

My dad took a bottle to his brew club and they decided that it has a certain wheat flavour to it.

The guys claim that this can be from over-squeezing the bag, which my extensive (if likely ineffective) googling hasn't seen written anywhere else. Since it's a small club, in which NOBODY does BIAB, and the very concept of no-chill cube-ing terrified them, I'm not sure what to think. They're a very off-line group, so I doubt they brew-geek and read all the stuff posted here.

Long story short, is here any reason for a wheat type flavour in a BIAB brew? All recipes have been 21+ day primary ferments with US-05 at room-ish temperature.

Thanks for any input

-Scott

Some people (like me) think wheat beers have a tart flavor to them. Is that maybe what they are tasting? If so, that's an easy fix more than likely. S05 at room-ish temperature would be the cause, sort of a peachy tart flavor. If you can ferment it at 66-68 degrees, wort temperature, not ambient, that would fix any off flavors from the yeast.

Maybe fermentation temps? Do you have any temperature control?

You can get some flavors when fermenting too warm that remind me of wheat beers.

[...]S05 at room-ish temperature would be the cause, sort of a peachy tart flavor. If you can ferment it at 66-68 degrees, wort temperature, not ambient, that would fix any off flavors from the yeast.

fwiw, the peachy character from US-05 occurs a fair bit below what most folks consider "room-ish"...

Cheers!

Agrew with the above. I BIAB and am a squeezer. Fermentation temps are probably the single biggest influence on taste your process can have (if you don't have them under control.)

I've been mashing BIAB style for maybe 25 batches. There any many prejudices and myths about it from folks who have never done it.

No, squeezing is not a problem.

Most likely a fermentation temperature issue. Unhappy yeast make less then ideal beer!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No, I don't have any sort of temperature control. My last batch was done in the peak of summer in my laundry room, so fermentation temp is the most likely issue. Now that things have cooled off, and I"ll run the swamp cooler method next time around and see how we do.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Edit: The other thing brought up was the lack of a vorlauf. Would a little bit of sediment in the boil contribute?

No, I don't have any sort of temperature control. My last batch was done in the peak of summer in my laundry room, so fermentation temp is the most likely issue. Now that things have cooled off, and I"ll run the swamp cooler method next time around and see how we do.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Edit: The other thing brought up was the lack of a vorlauf. Would a little bit of sediment in the boil contribute?

I don't think so. I BIAB and everything goes in the kettle, and whatever is left after the boil goes into the fermenter (I do use a hop sock for high IBU beers)

What is room temperature for you? Where I live it is 77-78. Which would be way too high. I do all my US-05 at 68 wort temp.

Back