ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz28

Reaction score
i have just tried my ale for xmas its been in keg about 3 weeks and i think its not right its still cloudy and tastes a bit sour could the beer be off or is it just that its still young

IMG_0217[1].jpg

It was meant to be a Belgium golden ale before I put it in the keg the was like a scale on top and white bits coming up it don't even smell like ale smell more like paint stripper

What was your fermentation temp? White bits are normal. I get them all the time. It may be young, but how long did you ferment before kegging it? Sourness could be an infection but its hard to say. I agree, we need more info.

I was fermenting for 3 weeks and it's been in keg for 3 weeks

Think it was on 27 I used a heater

Ok that's why I asked. If it is 27C then that explains it. The yeast gave off fusel alcohols that give you that paint stripper taste/aroma. Very harsh. When fermenting, my beer temp starts at about 64F and rises to 70F over a week. That helps to control fusel alcohols produced during the yeast growth phase.

Yeah think so is that too hot

Yes. To get a cleaner taste you want to have a steady temp in or around 15°C. Do some searches on this site for 'temperature control'. In reading many many threads I see that one of the most-mentioned improvements to brewers' beer is a steady temp in that range.

B

EDIT: Yet... as I just mentioned on another thread - don't ferment too cool or fermentation will stop too soon. I learned this when I 'controlled' my temp down to about 10°C. No good, either!

You don't even have to take all the great advice here - you can google your yeast strain, or yeast manufacturer -

You should always try to ferment within the range of the yeast you're using. And stay to the low end of that, since active fermentation actually raises the temperature by several degrees.

Welcome to brewing...:mug:

The fusel alcohol is really noticeable in lighter beers, looks like may be what you have there. Time can sometimes lessen the fusel taste.

So the ale is bad then should I tip it away or

dump it and give it another go. fusel alcohol tastes do not really ever go away, i still have a few bottles from may of this year that still have that hot alcohol taste.

So the ale is bad then should I tip it away or

I've had a beer turn out like this early on and I drank it. I didn't "showcase" it to my friends, I just brewed another and drank it over time. It actually did get better over time and it burned in my head what fusel alcohol was. Knowing your off flavors is all part of the experience. Chalk it up as a learning experience and realize that your going to make future beers that will blow your friends/families socks off!!

Cheers for that

BTW, there's still time to pull off another one. Whip up a big starter and brew another batch. Two weeks in the fermenter then 3 days at 2C and at 30psi should give you a tasty brew just in time for Christmas.

Latest posts

Back