Alaskan Home Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkGenoc1de

Reaction score
So iv been watching Alaska State Troopers alot lately and I keep seeing how in the dry citys of Alaska they make home brew.

How do they do it? they say all they use is hot water, lots of sugar and yeast..

so would i just basiclly boil water and put sugar and yeast and let it furment for a few days like they say they do? im not looking to make fancy beer just something to get a buzz off of not even worryed if it tast like crap lol..i mean iv drank some pretty rank butt tasting wine before and didnt care as long as i got a buzz lol..

I saw them make wine on an episode of Locked Up before. Sounds very similar. Might be some good reference material.

From my own research apparently the poor bastards sit around a bucket when they take turns spitting half chewed bread into a bucket. They don't pitch yeast but they do pray to the yeast gods.

I wouldnt really call it beer if it's just water, table sugar, and yeast. Your probably wont get any flavors really. If your just looking for a cheap way to get a buzz, go buy some apple juice or fruit punch, pour some of it out, add some sugar, then add yeast, and top it all off with an air lock. When it stops bubbling, you have booze.

I wouldnt really call it beer if it's just water, table sugar, and yeast. Your probably wont get any flavors really. If your just looking for a cheap way to get a buzz, go buy some apple juice or fruit punch, pour some of it out, add some sugar, then add yeast, and top it all off with an air lock. When it stops bubbling, you have booze.

Really? I never heard of that before. how long does it usually take to make it into beer? and where can i buy air locks at?

Well not "BEER" beer but a Alcoholic beverage if u would say. How strong do you think it would be % wise if i got like a gallon bottle of Apple Juice?

and where can i buy air locks at?

Well, at your friendly Local Home Brew Store, of course.

While you're there, pick up a home brew starter kit, some barley, hops, yeast and a bunch of books on home brewing, because what you're proposing is nothing that an adult (outside of prison) would ever consume. :drunk:

lol i just wana try and make some quick easy home brew like they do in alaska. its supposed to be decently strong and not gross like pruno like they make in prison. I was just woundering on how they would do it or how you guys would do it if all I had was the Yeast, water, and Sugar. They did say they used powder sugar tho and not like grained sugars. I dont want to go to a store and spend 300$ on a beginner set like iv seen them for sale on the net. im lookin to spend less then 20$ haha

I am going to ask the question I think everyone wants to know.

How old are you?

With that out of the way....

Airlocks can be ordered from places such as Midwest supplies with yeast and dextrose (corn sugar). Mix that with some apple juice and in a couple weeks you have apfelwein. There is a huge thread on apfelwein in the cider forum. But then you are going to need something to bottle it in and a little more dextrose for carbonation. Pry off beer bottles are what you need, so order a capper. Or make friends with someone that works at a bar that serves Grolsch in the swingtop bottles. Then no capper required and you will have something that you will want to drink besides just for the alcohol content.

We (homebrewers) are not out looking for a cheap buzz, as demonstrated by most of our lack of self control for one thing...more brewing gear.

We take pride in what we produce and enjoy our creations with the same care we used to make them.

The reason I recommend Midwest, is they have USPS priority mail as a shipping option which would be the cheapest option for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back