Air bubbles in beer lines.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatepickingnames

Reaction score
I have 10 and 12 foot lengths and 1/4 and 3/16. Im gettin co2 bubbles forming in the beer lines and its foaming up my pours. Any hints? Its a 7.0 ge set at 40. 1/4 line is bevlex braided and the 3/16 is vinyl.

Hi

If you have 10 or 12 feet of 1/4" beer line and any sort of normal pressure at 40F, that's likely to short a line. 10 feet of 3/16" might be ok depending on your pressure.

Bubbles in the line mean that CO2 is coming out of the beer. One common way for that to happen is for the lines to be warmer than the keg. CO2 does not dissolve as well in warm(er) beer. The other easy way to get CO2 coming out of beer is to drop the pressure. That can happen when you warm the beer.

Try bumping the system down to 38 or even 36 F. Storage temperature will always be lower than serving temperature. You don't want to drink 36 degree beer, but it'll keep longer at that temperature. I'll be a lot warmer once you start drinking it.

Bob

hatepickingnames said:
I have 10 and 12 foot lengths and 1/4 and 3/16. Im gettin co2 bubbles forming in the beer lines and its foaming up my pours. Any hints? Its a 7.0 ge set at 40. 1/4 line is bevlex braided and the 3/16 is vinyl.

I had this problem in one of my keys that was over carbonated.

evandena said:
I had this problem in one of my keys that was over carbonated.

Yep, and it doesn't even need to be significantly overcarbed to cause this, just carbed higher than the serving pressure. The only 2 things that can cause beer to come out of solution in the lines are beer carbonated higher than the serving pressure, or the lines being significantly warmer than the beer in the keg.

If it keeps pouring foamy even right after you've cleared the bubbles from the lines, then you also have a line balancing issue. As mentioned above, 12' is pretty short for 1/4" ID line.

Good info guys.

I must admit im guilty of effing with the pressures. Im going to get rid of all 1/4 line.
My line temps seem ok as the beer in glass is same as set temp. I notice reduced foam if i blow a bit in a waste cup then fill my pint glass.

Good info guys.

I must admit im guilty of effing with the pressures. Im going to get rid of all 1/4 line.
My line temps seem ok as the beer in glass is same as set temp. I notice reduced foam if i blow a bit in a waste cup then fill my pint glass.

The 1/4" line is too short. If you go with 12' of 3/16" line that would be better.

The issue with the bubbles coming out sounds like the beer was carbed at a higher pressure, but is being served at a lower pressure. That makes the co2 come out of solution, causing bubbling in the lines and foaming. It's really weird sometimes, because the beer may be overcarbed but because of the foaming on the way to the glass, it's foamy but seemingly flat. That's happened to me when I tried to quick carb a keg at 30 psi and then serve it at 11 psi.

That has to be it. Im gonna stop messing around and set them to carb at serving pressure. Ive been AG for 3 years and im still impatient.

Latest posts

Back