AGH HELP. Kegmergency!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seasum

Reaction score
Went to the kegerator and went to pour the beer to find out my beer wouldn't pour and the regulator read 0 psi.

This is the first beer I've had on tap and it's been carbonating for about 3 weeks now, and has been fine. This was with a brand new CO2 tank. Is it empty? The keg was sealed and tested when we got it. I really have no idea what to do about this. Never used any keg system before, whether sanke or corny.

Your CO2 is probably empty, and you have leak in your system somewhere.

The easiest way to check for leaks is using the "soap test". Get a spray bottle filled with soapy water (starsan also works) and spray it anywhere CO2 could potentially leak out. Then watch carefully and look for bubbles. Naturally, to perform this test you will need a tank that actually has CO2 in it, instead of an empty one.

One of the most common places people get a leak is the connection between the CO2 tank and the regulator. Either it is not tightened properly, or it is missing the gasket that goes there.

Also, if you aren't using teflon tape on your connections, USE IT. Neatly wrap each connection in 4-5 layers of teflon tape.

Also check the gas post on the keg, I've had them leak out of there.

Another common thing is kegs not sealing around the big o-ring when you latch the lid. Sometimes you need to crank it to a high psi, 25-30, to get it to seal, then you can bring it back down and purge the keg.

Not just the keg. Sure, you can have leaks in the keg, but you can also have leaks in your connection between the regulator and the tank, between the regulator and the tubing going to the keg, in the quick disconnects, and if you aren't running liquid in the system already, anywhere along the liquid out line up to and including the tap. Of course, if you've got beer or water in the keg, then it can't get out the liquid out side.

Back