Ageing beer: time until 'its best taste' depends on what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robms88

Reaction score
I have recently brewed an IPA, an English Bitter, a Canadian Blonde and a Dark Ale. I have sampled them all along the way to see how they are maturing in the bottles, and I started to ask myself the factors that determine how long to leave a beer before it tastes its best.

I have only ever brewed to approximately the same abv, so I will assume everyone is correct when they generally say the higher the abv, the longer it will need to condition.

However, does it also depend on the colour of the beer?

The IPA and English Bitter (ruby red colour) took about 6 weeks for it to be where I consider 'very good'.

The Dark Ale (been in the bottle now for 3 weeks) tastes worse than the IPA and English when they were at 3 weeks.

And the Canadian Blonde tastes pretty darn good at 1 week, even though its not carbonated (I know, three weeks minimum) lol.

That said, is it true that colour is also a factor to consider when brewing and how long to age it?

If there are any other factors involved, please let me know. Cheers. :tank:

I wouldn't say color as much as ingredients. For instance, my Hefe is great after only about 10 days in the bottle, while my Irish Stout is just getting better at about 3 months. Additional ingredients (like dry hopping) also change over time. Hop flavors tend to mellow - that sort of thing. I know this is far from a definitive answer, but it's a start.

You've pretty much summed it up. My dark beers usually take as much as 6-8 weeks before they taste really good. My lighter beers are usually ready quicker. I have a Fuggles IPA that's only been in the bottle for 2 weeks, and it tastes great. It's also already carbed up nicely, so I'm already drinking it. On the other hand I have a robust porter that has been in the bottle for 3.5 weeks, and it's carbed but still very green..

Back