AG help please!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DjinnNTawnik

Reaction score
After the disaster i made with my first ag, I figured I'd ask before i brewed.

Recipe goes like this

1.5 lb Wheat Malt
1.25lb Munich
.25lb crystal 40
.25lb toasted oats

Mash in 3 parts

20 min at 105
20 min at 135-140
40 min at 154

1hr boil with .5 oz hileraltu 4%AA

then add 1-2 c honey late in primary

beer calculus says og should be arround 1.080
fg should be arround 1.020
8.7% ABV
SRM 14
and IBU 57.35

Any comments are greatly appriciated

:confused::confused::confused:

What size batch is this? That's too little grain for 5 gallons, and that's waaaay too much honey for 1 gallon.

(and, also, what's with the complicated mash schedule?)

1 yes 1 gallon batch. 2. With the amt of wheat malt I wanted to give it a protein rest, the second rest is to try and get more fermentables out, third is standard for body and fermentales. Is it even worth it for the protein rest?

With the amt of wheat malt I wanted to give it a protein rest the second rest is to try and get more fermentables out, third is standard for body and fermentales. Is it even worth it for the protein rest?

So why not just go for something that's primarily base malt with some specialty and avoid the complications of multi-step mash? Especially since you apparently had problems with the first AG.

1 yes 1 gallon batch. 2. With the amt of wheat malt I wanted to give it a protein rest, the second rest is to try and get more fermentables out, third is standard for body and fermentales. Is it even worth it for the protein rest?

This is basically a braggot then. Your effective OG (with the honey) will be way above 1.080, and you'll be looking at a significantly higher ABV (assuming you can get it to ferment out properly.)

I don't get the same kinds of numbers for bitterness that you seem to be getting either.

I hate to be the guy who tries to talk you out of trying something new, but this recipe looks like a disaster.

Your right, ran the numbers through brew calc again. Recipe should be 1 oz of the hops not .5 oz. If I omit the honey and go with a single step infusion what do you think?

Your right, ran the numbers through brew calc again. Recipe should be 1 oz of the hops not .5 oz. If I omit the honey and go with a single step infusion what do you think?

Much better. Still, though, the wheat and the munich seem to be working cross purposes. If you're looking for a toasty/malty beer like it looks like, consider replacing the wheat with some 2row.

Advantage? It would taste different. Whether MO, domestic 2-row pale, or Vienna would be best depends on your preferences. No one of them would be right or wrong.

Back