AG Brewers in Charlotte, NC - Water Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
Pretty simple question for any AG brewers in my area: How is our water?

Obviously I know different water profiles are going to be more ideal for different styles, but in general does our water need to be treated?

I've attempted to look up info online but I'm a total noob when it comes to water chemistry (have used bottled spring water for all my batches so far) and really have no idea what I'm looking at.

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I just moved to Cornelius and would be interested in the same info. Moving from Pittsburgh where the water was mostly hard and the chemistry changed all over the place depending on rainfall and time of year (river supply / steel mill residue) the water here seems just fine. I wonder if my water is coming from Lake Norman?

I live in Monroe (just east of Charlotte) and the water is pretty close to neutral from a PH perspective, and has little to no minerals -- I almost have an RO profile that I can build from out of the ground. (I have well water)

You should be able to get your hands on a city water report fairly easily if you are tapped into city water.

I suggest you send a sample to ward labs for a test. Cost is cheap at 16.50 and you get all the vital info for brewing

...the chemistry changed all over the place...

This is what I'm worried about. From my limited research I've discovered that Charlotte city water is fed from 2 different water processing plants, which I take it means I could be getting either at any point in time.

That's why I was curious to hear from someone who had brewed here and to see what their experience had been.

I am not from charlotte, but I have had to do the same thing in Austin to determine what is up with our water.

According to this page:
http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Utilities/H2OHelp/Pages/WaterQuality.aspx

There is a number you can call, perhaps you can find out a contact for someone that works with the water dept. I looked at the water quality report, didn't seem to be a lot of useful information for brewing.

In my situation I emailed some feedback email address on the Austin city site, and eventually got in touch with a water person. They were able to tell me that the water was pretty consistent year-round for city of austin water customers.

Then I got the water test from ward labs and have been happy since.

Forgot to add, even with the ward lab report and everytyhing, I still had to treat the water at the very least for chloramines. That **** will ruin a beer, subtly.

Back