Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorsbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i was about to buy oxygenation parts off amazon and buy one of those 1.4oz oxygen tanks from home depot.

Then i read a reviewer who said he got 2 30 second uses for his homebrew before the tank went empty. Youtube videos i've watched people said the O2 lasted a year of heavy brewing. Don't know who to believe

If this is really the case then i'd just get an aquarium pump.

If i do get an aquarium pump is this cheap amazon one good? or would this ready system be needed? I already have 3/16 tubing and air filters so id just need a stone and the pump.

Thanks! :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm hardly a years worth of use. Even at that number not sure its worth having another thing to frequently buy. I dont make many high gravity beers anyway, the aquarium pump might be of more use to me.

Would you consider an aquarium pump worth it over plain ol' shaking? And if so is the one i posted adequate?

Thanks!

Just throwing another option out there. I got a de-gasser that I slap on my power drill. I run it on the top of the wort and it seems to work pretty well. I got it to serve those two functions. I can de-gas wine if it run it slow and deeper int the wine or oxygenate beer if I run fast on top of the wort.

I don't know if it works any better than shaking or rolling a caraboy around the floor, but I can do it one handed with a home brew in the other hand!

Before acquiring a Medical O2 E tank I used the small red tanks. I'd say an average of 8-10 batches is about right. Don't forget to put in an in-line filter as those tanks are not food safe.

Can't find the reference right now, but 60 sec through a scintered diffuser at 1 L/min is supposed to give 12 mg/L. Just bought http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281940846747 and will soon know how long a Home Depot cylinder lasts. I think this kind of control is needed. Without it, just consider that if there are bubbles making it to the surface, that is oxygen being wasted. Slowly increase the flow until bubbles are seen, then time for 60 sec. This should extend the life of the cylinder and give good oxygenation.

Back