Adjusting amount of head from stout tap?>

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustinHickey

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I recently set up my taps so I have 1 ale tap and 1 stout tap. I run them both and they usually both work well. However, I am up to my second keg through the stout tap and am getting a bit too much head at the top. I am curious as to why because I used the same amount of priming sugar in the keg as the first stout I made and that poured fine. So, my question is as follows:

1) What determines the amout of head poured from a stout tap. I am seeing no foam in my line so it is definately being produced at the tap. I am running the tap at 25 PSI with 25% co2 , 75% nitro at around 40 degrees.

2) Did I overcarbonate somehow? I used the amount of sugar to produce 1.8 volumes in the keg and then sealed the keg with 25 pounds of beer gas and left it for 2 weeks to condition. The beer does cascade a bit but it takes longer than usual to do so and leaves about 1/2 the glass of creamy foam. Has anyone else had this problem and dialed in a way for the proper amount of head every time?

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Dustin Hickey

With my set up, it occurs when there is too much CO2 in solution (over carbonated). It is any fix though, just degas it by shaking and releasing pressure from the keg. You can also run any thing commercial on your stout tap by the same method, degassing the keg and hooking up the nitro and shaking it again.

So you think i did overcarb it then. Hmm. i think I used the same sugar as the previuos keg. However I think i sealed it with 25 PSI of nitro mix instead of the usual 12 psi of carbon dioxide. Wonder if that made the difference?

Oh, and how many times / how long did you have to degass for to get it back down to standard?

Latest posts

Back