Adding Tannin... when and how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalkyt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It is late Spring here in Oz and some of my apple trees are developing heaps of fruit, and some not so much (some trees seem to have alternate "on years and "off years", subject to frosts, birds and deer). Come Fall I will have lots of sweeter apples from my small orchard (Red Delicious and Pomme de Neige) but not so many Pippins.

Depending on what I get, I typically would have a blend of Pippins, PDN, and some wild apples (usually a bit tart) if the birds or scavengers don't beat me to them before they are properly ripe.

I expect that given the potential abundance of sweeter apples, I might need to add some tannin when making my next ciders in April/May next year. Apart from buying tannin powder, I have two options... add crab apples (it looks as though I will have plenty), or strong black tea.

So, what do I add and when? With crabs,I am guessing maybe 1 kg (around 2lb) per 10kg (20lbs) of sweeter apples which should give about 4-5 litres (a gallon) of juice. Alternatively, one teabag of of black tea in a cup of boiling water per gallon of sweet juice, but added when?

As I said, these are just guesses as I don't really know, so all advice is welcome.

Definitely go with the crabs. Ive tried tannin powder and tea and its just not the same. 2lbs per 20 is a good start, but I would double that if you can, depending on how many pippins you have.

Back