Adding second running into boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazingsun81

Reaction score
Was having a good brew day , until I left to go to the washroom and my brew partner decided to dump 3 litre of second running into the carboy.
Beside having a gravity reading of 1.060 I got 1.080.!!!!
Now i am wondering if this will also change the taste of my beer.?

I like your brew partner. He/She can brew with me anytime...

Edit: Whoa! Un-boiled wort straight into the carboy?!!! I'm second guessing your brew partner.

I do still like how he/she can magically raise gravity points though...

How did you increase your OG by adding second runnings? Maybe this is the newbie in me asking, but I noticed if I add all of my runnings, my OG starts to drop.

Sorry I meant carboy not kettle,
I made this beer before and had no problems only different this time was adding second runnings into the carboy

Would like clarification as well!

Second runnings (wort from sparging) will always be lower in gravity than the wort from your mash. If, like you said above, the second runnings got added to the carboy... what happened? Why weren't the second runnings drained into the brew kettle before boiling? Where were they being held while you boiled?

Yes unboiled wort got dump in the carboy , sorry for the confusion , I was still morning drunk on lack of sleep when I started this thread

OK, so, lemme get this straight... you usually only boil your first runnings, and dump the second runnings into the carboy without boiling at all. But, this time, your brew partner dumped the second runnings into the kettle, and you boiled them instead?

First of all, your brew partner did you a big favor – you want to boil (or sanitize by another method) anything that touches your beer, to keep it from getting infected.

Second of all, not surprising that you ended up with higher gravity. By boiling those second runnings, you're getting the same amount of sugar as before, but you're boiling off some of the water you would've otherwise added straight to the carboy. So, your beer is both cleaner and higher ABV – win-win!

Besides being more alcoholic, your beer will have a thicker body and probably end up sweeter. Whether this is good or bad kinda depends on style... if you turned your stout into an imperial stout, yay! If you turned your IPA into a half-assed barleywine, maybe not so great.

And feinbera I didn't even say that at all, if you can't read then please don't make up your own story and put my name in it

I think I'm just going to dump the batch and start over .

I wouldn't dump it...I would either let it ride or reboil it....You could get nice beer either way IMHO. Did you mash out to say 170 degrees, that might have killed the lacto in the wort. Perhaps drink it fresh? Get it carbed and store cold?

Woah there partner, calm down. We're trying to understand your situation so we can help you, no need to get antsy because you're "drunk on lack of sleep."

Tell us, how does your method deviate from the typical process below:

- Mash grains with 148-152 degree water
- Drain first runnings into kettle
- Sparge with 180+ degree water
- Drain second runnings into kettle
- Boil wort for 60-90 minutes, adding hops, finnings, and other specialty ingredients
- Chill wort, transfer to fermenter, aerate, pitch yeast
- Affix airlock/blow off tube and place fermenter in proper temperature range

I did exactly that, after I chill the wort then transfer it into the carboy. That is when 3 liters of unboiled wort got added in

Is your brew partner now "out of the picture?" Just give us a smiley face to confirm. :)

Never dump. Treat this as an experiment, and let us know what happens. Some good people have worked hard to try to understand your situation and offer advice. (I realize I'm not one of them. Required a saint, and I just ain't.) All we ask in return is to learn from your "brew partner's" screw-up.

Well I really don't have the time to make this a experiment , this brew was for Christmas that's why I'm dumping it and starting over.
And I'm not actually bull ****ting you my brew partner is my brother in law. This isn't my first all grain , I have made this beer before with no problems. However I never had unboiled wort added in and I didn't know what the result would be and now I do. My apologies for the confusion earlier. thank you to all for bearing with me on this.

So I kept that batch after all to see what would happen and.........it turn how fine ,alv came out high at 10.4% .

Glad to provide information,
I also did a secondary fermentation where I added chocolate nibs and vanilla bean which soak in vodka for a day.

I did exactly that, after I chill the wort then transfer it into the carboy. That is when 3 liters of unboiled wort got added in

I am glad to hear it worked out for you in the end. I think some of the confusion is that a few of us are wondering why the second runnings didn't get put into the kettle with the first runnings before the boil. :)

No offense, but the story still doesn't make sense. I understand that there was left over second runnings that were dumped directly (unboiled) into the carboy. What I don't get is how that raised your OG by .020 points for two reasons. 1) Boiling raises the OG of the wort whether it's first or second runnings due to evaporation. 2) To raise the OG by that amount the volume dumped directly into the carboy would have to much greater than 1.080 because of the small amount dumped in. I'm still confused.

I am glad to hear it worked out for you in the end. I think some of the confusion is that a few of us are wondering why the second runnings didn't get put into the kettle with the first runnings before the boil. :)

Also, how did diluting your brew with extra runnings increase the og and not decrease it?

Regardless of how you got there it sounds like you got good results :mug:

I made a second batch in case the first one got infected without the extra runnings and it came out to be 1.064

Latest posts

Back