adding quick disconnects to temperature probes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divi2323

Reaction score
bought some temp probes (ds18b20 chip based, so wire length isnt a problem). I'm going to put some quick disconnects onto the ends so that I can store my brew kettles easily. Looking for ideas on what to use. I know over at theelectricbrewery.com they are using XLR connectors, but I think they're a bit big and bulky for my application.

I'm considering rj-11 phone jacks and couplers (sensor-->wire-->rj-11-->coupler-->phone cable-->control panel)

Also considering using Audio Stereo jacks (sensor-->female connector-->male to male audio 3 wire cable-->mounted female jack in control panel)

i'm open to other ideas and wondered what you guys use, or if you have alternatives in mind.

I used 1/8" audio jacks on my BCS460 setup. They work great and they're cheap but you do have to make sure they're mounted where they're somewhat protected from splashing.

Thanks for the info guys. the M8 connectors actually give me a great idea. I have quite a few computer mice laying around. thinking maybe I can just cut the cords off of those and manufacture them from there.

for 1/8" audio jacks, where did you source yours? I can find the panel mountable female receptors on ebay pretty easy, but finding the right female cable ends to make the connector close to the probe is proving more difficult (if you can believe that)... at least in bulk. I'd like to make enough connectors and cables and probes to help offset my costs by selling back to brewers.

divi2323 said:
for 1/8" audio jacks, where did you source yours? I can find the panel mountable female receptors on ebay pretty easy, but finding the right female cable ends to make the connector close to the probe is proving more difficult (if you can believe that)... at least in bulk. I'd like to make enough connectors and cables and probes to help offset my costs by selling back to brewers.

I used the panel-mount style from RadioShack (I'm pretty sure they're item # 274-248). I have a control box on my stand, so the female jacks are mounted on the back of the control box. Then I added their male connector (274-286) to the probe ends.

I used some M12 field connectors and they've worked out great.

m12_probe1.jpg

m12_probe2.jpg

My cheap solution was to use RJ45 connectors. They can be had for pennies and it's very easy to find/make extensions for them. I use keystone receptacles on my control panel for them to connect to.

To jpalarchio:
You got a link for those or where did you pick those up at? Those look great.

The brand is "Lumberg Automation" and the p/n was "RSCW 3/7".

From what I was able to gather:

* RSC are male connectors, RKC are female
* The "W" indicates a 90 degree connector
* 3 is the number of pins
* 7 indicates it will accept a 6.5mm cable, 9 is an 8.5mm cable

There may be other combinations that work, they make an RSCW 3/9, 4/7, 4/9 as well.

I sized them so they fit snug on my temperature probe ends. I use them to pull the probes out and they never slip from the probe.

There are probably other brands out there, these I found on a decent deal; search for right angle M12 field connectors.

Latest posts

Back