Adding priming sugar to the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehardt

Reaction score
I've been curious about this for some time, and I'm interested in getting educated opinions on the topic.

When you buy a kit you often get priming sugar or fast start or something like that. I keg so this usually goes to waste.

What would happen if you added this to the boil as an additional fermentable, especially in a heavily hopped beer like an IPA?

Just curious.

Thanks

A bit higher than that. I believe 5 ounces of priming sugar for five gallons of beer to 2.5 volumes of carbonation will add roughly .25% ABV...

well it really shouldn't go to waste, toss it in the boil.. use it for bread, put it on your oatmeal breakfast, make some candied walnuts, should work for sweetend coffee, if you like that thing....

I do it all the time. I think the math is 1lb of corn sugar will ferment out to 1% ABV. None of my customres at the Brewpub have noticed or said anything about the beers I've done it to being any dryer. I've never added more then a pound on a ten gallon batch.

Back