Adding Gelatin to Kegged Carbed Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchar19

Reaction score
Can I add gelatin to an already Kegged and Carbonated beer without any ill effects. Will my beer lose a significant amount of carbonation by taking off the corny keg lid and dumping in gelatin?

I don't use gelatin often but if I am not mistaken it settled in the bottom of the carboy when when I used it in the past. Wouldn't you just be sucking ir through the dip tube and clogging everything? How long has it been sitting?
This sounds like something we could read about later in a thread called " Mistakes I made kegging"
I have a few stories for that one.

Bad idea. If you are trying to clear the beer, I'd move it back to a sanitized carboy first.

^^ All poor advice, sorry guys, not trying to be mean, but it is.

You can definitely gelatin in a carbed keg, I do it for nearly every batch. My beers are crystal clear. You might lose a pinch of carbonation, but just put the beer back on gas right after, and by the time the gelatin settles (1-2days) you'll be back where you were.

Sprinkle a teapsoon of gelatin in about 1/3cup of cold water. Stir, then microwave for 30 seconds, and stir again. Repeat until you hit 150*F. Purge the gas in the keg, pull the lid, dump the gelatin in. Put the lid back on, hookup the gas, and give the keg a good shake to mix the gelatin. Then wait 1-2 days.

Your first pint will be super cloudy, just dump it. The second pint will be a little hazy, but still drinkable. By the 4th to 5th, I have commercial level-filtered clarity. If you bump the keg, the beer will be cloudy until the yeast/gelatin settles back out, which can take a few hours.

^^ All poor advice, sorry guys, not trying to be mean, but it is.

You can definitely gelatin in a carbed keg, I do it for nearly every batch. My beers are crystal clear. You might lose a pinch of carbonation, but just put the beer back on gas right after, and by the time the gelatin settles (1-2days) you'll be back where you were.

Sprinkle a teapsoon of gelatin in about 1/3cup of cold water. Stir, then microwave for 30 seconds, and stir again. Repeat until you hit 150*F. Purge the gas in the keg, pull the lid, dump the gelatin in. Put the lid back on, hookup the gas, and give the keg a good shake to mix the gelatin. Then wait 1-2 days.

Your first pint will be super cloudy, just dump it. The second pint will be a little hazy, but still drinkable. By the 4th to 5th, I have commercial level-filtered clarity. If you bump the keg, the beer will be cloudy until the yeast/gelatin settles back out, which can take a few hours.

I do exactly the same, works great. I usually put it at kegging time, not after it's carbonated. Other than a possible eruption (doubtful), it works great.

M_C

I do this all the time, on most batches. First pint is cloudy, but I find it clears out better than just waiting for all the stuff to flock out and the gelatin helps stick all the gunk to the bottom while the rest of the beer about a half inch around the dip tube pulls through crystal clear.

The first time I did it, it was an afterthought on a kolsch that was carbed, that I didn't have the patience for and it looked filtered in 3 days.

I tried this tonight. I usually figure the beer will eventually clear on its own, but I just kegged an IPA that is almost as cloudy as a hefe. I had to do something.

78 grams of water in a 100ml flask plus a tsp of gelatin.

Any of you that do this have a carb stone in your keg? In all the years I have been brewing (22), I have never used gelatin. Just got some... A beer that I kegged before I got the stuff is pretty hazy and would like to try it.

Resurrecting this old thread. I have a carbed keg that I would like to add gelatin to. My question is do I allow the keg to warm up before adding the gelatin or can I do it while it is cold?

No. Do it cold. Don't worry about cooling the gelatin solution...the small volume will not gave much effect on the beer's temperature.

I've got three kegs I'm "gelatin-ing" right now for tomorrow.

You can do it while it is cold. The gelatin never gets to jello mode if you do it right... Let it bloom in room temp water first for awhile, 20min, then do the microwave trick, do not overshoot your temps... 170* is too far so microwave in short doses, stirring inbetween. Bleed your keg, un lid and add the gelatin, re lid, purge with co2, I then gently roll the keg to let the dip tube stir the gelatin into the beer well dispersed, then you can go back on gas and into your keezer. 2-3 days should do it.

I can't find the article but recently there was a technical article about chill haze. Near the end the author (I think he was a brewer for Stone Brew) said gelatin was a good home brew substitute to a more expensive commercial product.

He suggested warm water and let the gelatin sit for about 20 minutes to bloom and then bring the temp up to 180 (I assume to kill any bugs before throwing it in the beer) and pouring it on top of very cold beer. He says the gelatin will form a matrix that as it falls will bind to particulants in the beer. The big delta in temp insures the hot gelatin stays on top.

He says it should take about 3 days to clarify the beer after pouring off the sludge from the bottom of the keg.

I transfer from primary at 66 degrees to a corny keg and crash cool to freezing. I want to start the carbonation process ASAP so cut off a day or three for the beer to get down to temp, pitch the gelatin, wait three days for the beer to clarify, then start the carbonation process.

OK guys I have a time-restraint issue and need some quick help!

- Have an IPA dry-hopping (mesh bag) in a keg right now. Has been on dry hops for 5 days at room temp, NOT in the fridge.
- Want to add gelatin to clear the beer AND carb at the same time
- Only have 48 hours as I need to drop off the keg to Stone this Friday for a homebrew competition.
- The keg will be sitting in their cold storage for a week, as the comp isn't until next Saturday 03/15

Soooo, this is what Im thinking to do: add the gelatin now, throw in the fridge, carb at the same time for 48 hours, pull a pint right before I deliver on Friday.

Is this ok? Will the dry hopping be affected at all? I have read that gelatin can reduce the aroma and/or hoppiness.

Thanks guys! :rockin:

Back