Adding choclate to imperial stout kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombeque

Reaction score
Hey guys. I searched for this but found nothing. So just point me in the right direction if theres already something on this. I have an imperial stout extract kit that Im brewing this weekend. I was thinking of adding some choclate in some form to the brew to make it a choclate stout. I cannot remember where i got the kit, but i think its your standard strong stout with DME and LME. Would this work out? I read other threads of all grain imperial stout recipes adding coco for the 60 min boil. Would that work with this?

In my all grain setup I have added cocoa powder to the mash as well as the boil. If it's something you want to do, go for it. Sure you can add some cocoa to an extract brew. I would add it near the end of the boil.

I like cocoa nibs for chocolate aroma and powder for flavor. I put the powder in at flame out and the nibs just get tossed into the keg. If you bottle I would put the nibs in after the primary fermentation settles down and let it go for another 3-7 days.

if you want a lot of cocoa aroma, try adding it post fermentation. like cocoa nibs in secondary, or even unsweetened cocoa. adding it late in the boil would work, but may not be as prominent after fermentation. the BYO Young's Double Chocolate clone calls for cocoa in the boil and in secondary to get that big chocolate flavor.

I've always added cocoa last 5 mins of boil to my porters and stouts, works wonderfully!

Great, thanks all for the input! I think Im going to add last 5 mins. How much approximately? For 5 gallon batch.

Just keep in mind that with the cocoa, you're not going to get much of a 'chocolate' flavor. It's unsweetened. You will need to add lactose into your boil as well. It's an unfermentable sugar so, the sweet will carry through to the finished product. Also, you might want to consider using chocolate extract as well.

Looking at my notes, I went with 8oz of cocoa / 1lb of lactose during the last 15 minutes of the boil in one batch. The other I used 8oz of cocoa during the last 15 minutes of the boil and chocolate extract at bottling.

I didn't write down the amount of chocolate extract but I remember the bottle itself wasn't very big. I would imagine a few ounces.

Just keep in mind that with the cocoa, you're not going to get much of a 'chocolate' flavor. It's unsweetened. You will need to add lactose into your boil as well. It's an unfermentable sugar so, the sweet will carry through to the finished product. Also, you might want to consider using chocolate extract as well.

Looking at my notes, I went with 8oz of cocoa / 1lb of lactose during the last 15 minutes of the boil in one batch. The other I used 8oz of cocoa during the last 15 minutes of the boil and chocolate extract at bottling.

Why add lactose. All it does is sweeten the beer; there is a lot of sweetness in the beer already. A pound of lactose is going to increase the FG by .007.

Lactose cuts the bitterness. I did a mocha java stout and added lactose at bottling. Tasted it prior and very bitter. I added lactose then. However, only 8 oz for 5 gallons. ten days later very drinkable, not too sweet, but definately not bitter anymore.

You can add lactose at any time in the process, so maybe wait and taste and then add to your pallet preference.

Why add lactose. All it does is sweeten the beer; there is a lot of sweetness in the beer already. A pound of lactose is going to increase the FG by .007.

If you're going for more of a 'chocolate' taste in your stout, you've got to find a way to sweeten it up. Cocoa itself isn't sweet, it's actually bitter. Chocolate is made from different combinations of cocoa and sugar.

Thank you all for the input!! From your responses and my tastes, I think 8 oz of cocoa and 8 oz of lactose at 15 mins seem to be the ticket. Are Imperial stouts usually a bit sweet? Here is the link to the kit I have: Russian Imperial Stout Beer Kit. Anyone brewed this? How sweet is it already?

I'm the one who doesn't like to add Lactose. I generally like to get beers as dry as possible (personal preference).

I would advise you to not put the lactose in the boil. Then taste the beer when you get close to bottling and decide if you want it sweeter. You can add lactose at bottling since it is non-fermentable. But once it is in, you can't take it out.

A RIS usually has a high FG (sweet).

Thank you all for the input!! From your responses and my tastes, I think 8 oz of cocoa and 8 oz of lactose at 15 mins seem to be the ticket. Are Imperial stouts usually a bit sweet? Here is the link to the kit I have: Russian Imperial Stout Beer Kit. Anyone brewed this? How sweet is it already?

The only imperial stout I have ever had was a 6'er of these

Old Rasputin - Imperial Stout

it's a good thing I'm a beer lover as it was a kick in the taste buds. Don't know that sweet is the word I would use for it. It's a very overpowering taste, but very tasty nonetheless.

Back