Adding Body To Sour Beer After Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I brewed my own take on a Flanders red last year this time and am looking to keg it in the next day or 2. I took a gravity reading yesterday and it finished @ 1.000. I used gigayeast sour chery funk which has only lacto and brett in it so i wasnt surprised it finished this low. With that said the beer smells fantastic, but the body is think and finishes really dry. I was hoping to add some body and little bit of sweetness to balance it out. BUT right now I am not sure the best way to do this. Below are my 4 initial thoughts. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Oh forgot to mention I plan to keg ~ 4 gallons. Right now I have just over 5 gallons in the secondary but I plan to rack 1 gallon of it into a small carboy with little to no head space to age it so I can blend it with next years batch

1) Add maltodextrine
2) Add Lactose
3) Add both maltodextrine and lactose
4) Add Potassium Metabisulfite and add 0.5 gallons of sweet wort to keg

To my Flanders Red, I add maltodextrine, but that's to give the bugs something to eat post-ferment. Given enough time it seems like adding just that will get you back to where you're at now; i don't think that'll leave residual mouthfeel/body. Curious, as I'm in the same boat. I'm suspecting, though, that it isn't an issue of adding/retaining body/mouthfeel, but bolstering a different perceived flavor, such as acidity or sourness (for example), to achieve the same thing.

Option 5) blend with a younger beer with more body (and either pasteurize or wait)

From my understanding K-meta will not stop fermentation. Also if you add Lactose your bacteria will eat it (only up to a certain point though, making it both more sour and more sweet-- beware), likewise Brett eats maltodextrine.

Back