added honey to a beer that didn't really need it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
So I jumped the gun and added honey to a stout that I thought needed to be a bit drier.

I brewed a big milk stout and the og was 1.086. After 2 weeks, and warming it up to 72 degrees, it had finished at 1.034. I had taken a gravity reading a week ago and decided to let it go for another week in hopes of getting it down a bit further as it was really too sweet for me at that sg.

Fast fwd to last night... took a gravity reading and it was still at 1.034. Seeing that I already tasted it a week earlier I didn't taste it at all before adding 1-2 oz's of honey to it. It's a 3 gallon batch and I didn't want to dry it out too much so I went sort of easy on the honey.

I went up stairs and poured the gravity sample into a glass and tasted it. It was pretty darn good. Not overly sweet anymore even though it was the same gravity as it was when I thought it was too sweet. I did the math and found it to be 6.8% abv which is enough attenuation to deem this beer to be done.

I liked where it's at now so I decided to cold crash to prevent the yeast from kicking back into fermentation.

Now here's my question. Should I just say screw it and let the yeast feast on the honey or will the beer now be too sweet due to the added honey? I'm hoping the honey just gets hard from the cold and sinks to the bottom and I can rack the beer off of it.

I would try to get the honey to ferment out. Otherwise you added sweetness back to something you ended up liking with a little age on it.

1-2 oz in a 3 gallon batch will be just fine. Just relax and let it ferment.

1-2 oz in a 3 gallon batch will be just fine. Just relax and let it ferment.

I'm all about rdwhahb over here. I just wanted to keg this beer for Thanksgiving weekend. Going to taste it when I get home in a few hours. If it's too sweet I'll let it ferment out. If it tastes just about the same I'll just roll with it and keg it up. Just wanted to see what other brewers would do in my situation. :mug:

Back