Beer too sweet, already kegged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyMcDee

Reaction score
I recently made a batch that was too sweet, or rather I tried to add a little brown sugar in secondary and the yeast didn't bite. Now I have a "Honey Brown" which is not ideal. I ordered this hop extract from Michigan Hop Alliance and have yet to use it. I'm already kegged and carbonated. I plan to take 4-6 oz of the beer and boil it with the 10ml of extract (magnum hops) then reintroduce to the keg once it cools a bit. I have zero idea if this will be effective. I know at this point I'm really only getting aroma and not real IBU's as they were. I'll report back, but I'm not optimistic. Hit me back if anyone has any insight ASAP!

IIRC, you can boil that hop extract in some (plain) water.
Make sure the water is dechlorinated (dissolving a small piece of a Campden tablet, or a pinch of MetaBisulfite powder).
It will need to be (slowly) simmered for 20 (30?) minutes to isomerize the alpha acids to provide bitterness. Then add (or better, inject) it into your keg.

You might also find the beer is better balanced once it's cold and carbonated...

You can buy isomerised hop extract that will add bitterness with no flavour and can be added to the keg without boiling (saved an APA I made when my electric boiler died and ended up doing a no boil beer!)

You can buy isomerised hop extract that will add bitterness with no flavour and can be added to the keg without boiling
Glad you pointed out that isomerized hop extracts can be purchased. I was not aware of that.
They, indeed, can be directly added to the beer. Those should NOT be boiled!

did you ever inject the hop extract into the keg?
What if you did what'd you do and how 'd it turn out?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back