Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IEpicDestiny

Reaction score
Hi, new brewer here.

I am making a 4% coopers lager and when it came to bottling I noticed a light yellowish sort of colour (which smells pretty bad) when I reached the tap of my fermenting vessel (which I'm assuming is all the leftover yeast. Which people tend to throw out or to re-use).

I have accidentally topped up all my bottles with this stuff. Am I going to run into any problems? Such as taste wise or anything?

Also how tight do I need to screw on the caps?

Hello, & welcome to the forum. When you say that you topped up the bottles im assuming that you meant that you just added a little more beer to fill the bottle to the appropriate level. In that case, you should be fine. I don't think that you will have any problems with any off flavors. In regards to the caps. Just hand tighten them slightly. When i was using Mr. beer i would just hand tighten the bottles till they were snug. Not to tight, because they are a pain to take off. I hope this helped you out. If you have any more issues, just ask. Someone will always help you out.

Putting yeast inside the bottles is both inevitable and necessary. Inevitable because yeast cells are microscopic and they float around throughout the beer, and necessary because the yeast are what produce the carbonation.
It won't cause any issues.

Cheers and welcome to HBT!

When you are bottling try to skim off all of the liquid and avoid the yeast at the bottom. You will get some yeast in the bottles anyways because your brew is full of it, but it will settle. You need some yeast in the bottles anyways because you need your beer to be carbonated. When you pour a beer do it in one go so you don't get a bunch of yeast in your glass.

Hope this helps!

Back