About to make first cider, closing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
Hello. Well I'm about to go to the store and get my 5 gallons of 100% apple juice (no concentrate or perservatives.) Just a few simple closing questions

1.) What yeast should I use? I don't want a dry cider, I want to taste the apple juice. Maybe a bit dry but more fruity. Perhaps an Ale yeast? I hope I can use ale yeast to get the fruity taste, because I have a local HBS and I doubt they have the biggest selection of yeast. If I can use an Ale yeast, what's a good popular name brand yeast that I may find at the HBS?

2.) Should I pasturize the apple juice? If so, what temperature should i heat it to?

3.) Does 1-2-3 (in months) sound about right for fermentation, etc?

4.) Do you have to degas cider or anything? Or is it like beer, put the apple juice in fermenter, add yeast, wait 1 month, transfer to secondary, wait 2 months, bottle?

Thanks, I think this about sums it up!!

Yeah, it's lame I'm bumping my own post that's only 1 down. Anyways I get off of work in 30 minutes, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I got to pick up my ingridients when I get off, and my LHBS closes in a hour.

Sorry for being a ****** bag, thanks!!!

If you simply want a refreshing hard cider, use an american ale yeast. I did and only used the apple juice, no additional sugars. Tasted great.

Most applejuice that you buy for this (I used Sams choice from walmart) is already pasturized and will contain absorbic acid (vitamin c) which is fine.

I also added 2 cups of splenda at mixing time and used another cup at bottling. Tasted very apple(y) and similar to Wood Chuck Hard cider. Also ended at around 6.2% alcohol and was done in 4 weeks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz4Qkp-HVfE"]Here is a video of the cider fermenting.[/ame]

Thanks a bunch! I was planning on using Sam's apple juice as well. Not the one with concentrate, but the 100%. Thanks so much!

Back