About to bottle first dry-hopped IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy32pinkerton

Reaction score
hey guys - so I am ready to bottle my first dry-hopped IPA, I transferred the carboy out into where I'm going to bottle it, and I noticed there are still a good amount of hops sitting on top...is this normal? Its actually been in primary for 1.5 weeks, then transferred to secondary and dry hopped, and its been in secondary for 2 weeks. I was mostly worried about the sediments still falling to the bottom and the hops floating, but figured if I filtered it when transferring to bottling bucket it'd be OK. Thoughts?

Leaf hops I am assuming. Ya man totally normal. A lot of folks around here throw their leaf hops in a muslin bag or something and weigh it down with something sanitary and safe, like stainless steel nuts. I wouldn't bother filtering either. Just my thoughts. Good luck sir

:mug:

I usually stick a Muslin bag or paint strainer on the end of my siphon to prevent hop transferring in with the beer. The longer the hops stay in your beer the grassier it will taste. I would filter

It can clog up your siphoning system, and if you get some in the bottling bucket it can also clog up the spigot and/or bottling wand. Some folks have rigged up fancy contraptions to prevent this clogging, but I have yet to do that myself. Instead I just swear a lot... sanitation ends up rather lax as I stick my hand and arm into the various vessels to unclog them, and restarting the siphon tends to jettison sanitary practices out the window. While I have yet to get an infection (in the beer, that is), it's definitely waiting to happen.

Good luck!

Leaf hops I am assuming. Ya man totally normal. A lot of folks around here throw their leaf hops in a muslin bag or something and weigh it down with something sanitary and safe, like stainless steel nuts. I wouldn't bother filtering either. Just my thoughts. Good luck sir

:mug:
I actually used pellets, but Id assume its still fairly normal.

andy32pinkerton said:
I actually used pellets, but Id assume its still fairly normal.

I don't rack until the pellet hops at the drop settle out. But that's just me and I don't like a mess when I rack. If you swirl the carboy you will see some start to settle. So I swirl one or twice a day during the dryhop and by the 7th day they are usually all settled.

Latest posts

Back