a what-cha-ma-call-it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob111

Reaction score
hi all just wondering if the pros can help
my uncle gave me 5, 23 liter carboys
and told me that he had testers for the wine
I thought it was a hydrometer but it wasn't
one was a vinometer (really cool)
and the other I don't know what it is called
it is basically a tiny turkey baster with 8 colored balls (8 different colors)
he didn't have the papers with it so I have no idea what the colors represent
I know it's to tell you how much sugar to add for your desired SG
but I don't even know what it's called so I can't look it up online to find info on it
anyone know what it's called
and even better anyone know what the colors mean how to read it ect.
thanks

wow that is very close mine has more balls and there is no scale on it.
apparently it was for wine making
my uncle lost the sheet that was with it so I do not know what the values of the balls are
I would like to know the name of it is
this is a good start

just wanted to bump this to the top in hopes that a veteran brewer may know the name of this thing

any possibility your uncle was making antifreeze? http://www.tools247.co.uk/Cooling-S...et-Tester-Ball-Type.html?product_currency=USD
I did a search for propylene glycol tester ball type, and this came up. If it's in working condition I'd go ahead and try to test it on some liquids, try water with varying amounts of sugar and see if there is some pattern you can determine. It's got to be some kind of gravity tester, with different balls probably weighing more or something.

that looks sort of like it but mine has no scale
I guess it is pretty much the same as an anti-freeze tester
is there a chance that many moons ago that this type of tester was used for wine making?

I don't see why not, but without some scale on it or some table index to compare it to, I think it would be impossible to use accurately. I would do a few tests and write them down to see what they show. Any idea of the volume it would hold? I'd get a few cups with liquids and see how many balls are floating or what. Test 1 vessel with water only, 1 with like 1:1 ratio of sugar to water, and then one somewhere in between. Write down what colored balls are floating or what based on the liquids. You could probably even create your own index by using pre-measured Gravity liquids.

I guess I'll have to do that
I was just hoping I would find something online
the internet has spoiled me:)

Back