A use for protein shake containers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quimby

Reaction score
Since I have been working out and making protein shakes I have been saving my empty containers. I have not measured them yet but they are probably right at or just under a gallon.

I plan on using them for storing different items in to keep things more organized, but I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas that might benefit homebrewing.

They're (at least the one on my desk right now) HDPE2 and non opaque, so you could use them for small batch fermenters. This particular one does not have a gasket, but if you added one to make it air tight, you could store specialty grains in them quite nicely. They'd stack well and look nice all organized. I've got a few myself and never thought of keeping the empties :drunk:

I use mine for kitchen compost material. I suppose you could use them to store a few pounds of specialty grains?

ive always been looking for a use for these containers... my room mates go thru a lot of the stuff so they are always around. ive never been able to get the smell out of them though, so would probably not use them directly for beer.

ive always been looking for a use for these containers... my room mates go thru a lot of the stuff so they are always around. ive never been able to get the smell out of them though, so would probably not use them directly for beer.

Oxi soak didn't get the smell out?

They're (at least the one on my desk right now) HDPE2 and non opaque, so you could use them for small batch fermenters. This particular one does not have a gasket, but if you added one to make it air tight, you could store specialty grains in them quite nicely. They'd stack well and look nice all organized. I've got a few myself and never thought of keeping the empties :drunk:

Yea mine are Muscle Milk HDPE 2 non-opaque containers. They dont stack very well, but they are tall. Yea I was trying to think on how I would do a gasket for them. I was thinking about maybe trying to find the right size or possibly using some food grade safe silicone and making my own gasket in the lid.

Right now I use one for storing oxy clean and a couple filled with water in my deep freeze for when I need ice blocks for wort chilling.

Do you really need to create a gasket? Arent they supposed to be air-tight for the protein?

Do you really need to create a gasket? Arent they supposed to be air-tight for the protein?

They may be fine without a gasket. May just put a little bit of Keg lube on the lip of the container just to make sure. Would sure hate to chance a small leak when it would be possible to get a good seal for little money.

They may be fine without a gasket. May just put a little bit of Keg lube on the lip of the container just to make sure. Would sure hate to chance a small leak when it would be possible to get a good seal for little money.

Considering a seal isn't a prerequisite in the first place, if I were to use them as a fermenter I'd probably use a piece of sanitized Aluminum foil as a lid.

Yeah keg lube might be a good idea if being used for grains or hops or something perishable.

They are good for holding specialty grains. If you wanted such a small fermenter, I would spring for the $4 1 gallon jugs at the LHBS.

I seen a guy on youtube using them to sparge with. Drilled a bunch of little holes in the lid and produced a kind of shower head effect.

They are good for holding specialty grains. If you wanted such a small fermenter, I would spring for the $4 1 gallon jugs at the LHBS.

I totally understand what you are saying. I already have 4-5 of the 1 gallon glass jugs that I use for fermentation.
Mainly my point of this post is to find more uses for these containers I already have since they are free and I will continue to be getting them. Its not about being cheap, but be more resourceful with what I already have.

i was thinking the same thing actually. i go through these things and always have wondered what i can do with it. i'm gonna give it a good cleaning/santize it. drill hole for air lock and going to attempt to brew a mr beer kit in it. worst case i ruin a mr beer kit, its not like it will kill me... haha.. wait it wont right?

Back