A Tribute to Hunahpu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I used 3 Mexican vanilla beans, 2oz peppers and 6oz cacao nibs. I used cinnamon chips instead of sticks. I put one or two in my mouth and they weren't too spicy, so I used 2pz. Big mistake. WAY too much cinnamon. I put each adjunct in a muslin bag with sanitized glass marbles, tied unwaxed dental floss to it and taped the floss to the outside of the bucket. I tasted the beer at 3 days and yanked the cinnamon. All the others I left in for 2 weeks

I used 3 Mexican vanilla beans, 2oz peppers and 6oz cacao nibs. I used cinnamon chips instead of sticks. I put one or two in my mouth and they weren't too spicy, so I used 2pz. Big mistake. WAY too much cinnamon. I put each adjunct in a muslin bag with sanitized glass marbles, tied unwaxed dental floss to it and taped the floss to the outside of the bucket. I tasted the beer at 3 days and yanked the cinnamon. All the others I left in for 2 weeks

Thanks...

I think I am gonna do a tincture of all of the ingredients and dose a drop at a time & scale from there.

What is the best spirit to use? Vodka would be the most neutral I'd think.

Tasted some of this 2.5 months after fermentation.

To say that it is rich would be an understatement. I think I am going to leave it as is. No additions of vanilla, chili peppers, cinnamon or nibs. I'm afraid i'll screw it up.

Tasted some of this 2.5 months after fermentation.

To say that it is rich would be an understatement. I think I am going to leave it as is. No additions of vanilla, chili peppers, cinnamon or nibs. I'm afraid i'll screw it up.

So that would be Marshal Zhukov instead of Hunahpu. I skipped the peppers, nibs, cinnamon and vanilla on mine as well and opted for Jameson soaked oak chips and then added a pound of cold brewed espresso at bottling. The base of this recipe is awesome.

So that would be Marshal Zhukov instead of Hunahpu. I skipped the peppers, nibs, cinnamon and vanilla on mine as well and opted for Jameson soaked oak chips and then added a pound of cold brewed espresso at bottling. The base of this recipe is awesome.

Yup.

Whats the consensus on this as far as using just the first runnings or collecting more wort and boiling down.

I can fit 40+ lbs w/ a very thick mash in my tun, was using this thread to kind of adjust my usual RIS recipe to get more of that CCB thickness. With the recipe i came up with i can do 5g of about 1.150 or 10g of about 1.100 looking for opinions?

Whats the consensus on this as far as using just the first runnings or collecting more wort and boiling down.

I can fit 40+ lbs w/ a very thick mash in my tun, was using this thread to kind of adjust my usual RIS recipe to get more of that CCB thickness. With the recipe i came up with i can do 5g of about 1.150 or 10g of about 1.100 looking for opinions?

I chose to do a single running & boost the OG with 2 lbs of DME. OG/FG 1.128/1.042

Mash Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 29.0 %
7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 18.4 %
6 lbs 1.6 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 16.1 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt (250.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.2 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 9.2 %
2 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6 5.3 %
1 lbs FAWCETT - 45L (45.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.6 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 8 1.6 %
9.3 oz Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 9 1.5 %
6.0 oz FAWCETT - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10 1.0 %
4.5 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 11 0.7 %

Mash Steps Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 44.96 qt of water at 167.1 F 155.0 F 60 min

Add water to achieve boil volume of 9.50 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.096 SG
Boil Ingredients Amt Name Type # %/IBU

2 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 12 5.3 %
2.65 oz Magnum [12.40 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 13 53.4 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 14 -

After discussing with my brew partner gonna do just first runnings and partigyled whatever out of the rest

I did 5 gallons to get the OG 1.152. That's about what huna is. It is a nice thick, chewy beer. Love it. I think if the OG were 1.1 it would be good, but not close to huna

I did 5 gallons to get the OG 1.152. That's about what huna is. It is a nice thick, chewy beer. Love it. I think if the OG were 1.1 it would be good, but not close to huna

Very true, i generally collect 14g on my RIS beers, but also add some DME and candi syrup to boost it a bit, either way i go this one is all malt. No sugar adds or anything. I am heavily leaning towards the 5g of 1.150ish and another 5g of whatever is left probably a good stout of some sort

That seems pretty high, if it were to end with 11% like Huna, your FG would be around 1.068. Huna is thick, but I don't know if it's that thick.

That seems pretty high, if it were to end with 11% like Huna, your FG would be around 1.068. Huna is thick, but I don't know if it's that thick.

Just checked my numbers. OG was 1.148 and FG was 1.050. 12.8% which is a bit higher than CCB. Over amped on my cinnamon addition, but otherwise love it

Just checked my numbers. OG was 1.148 and FG was 1.050. 12.8% which is a bit higher than CCB. Over amped on my cinnamon addition, but otherwise love it

Seems like Huna and all the counterparts are going overboard on cinnamon as the years progress also. Looking forward to 16 in a couple days. Are you going?

Seems like Huna and all the counterparts are going overboard on cinnamon as the years progress also. Looking forward rotting 16 in a couple days. Are you going?

I wish. Told the husband we are going next year for my 50th. It's always within a few days of my birthday. Have a great time. Looks awesome

Time to plan this bad boy. Using recipe on post #30, as that seems to be a favorite. Working on lighter stout for yeast cake first. Have experience with RIS fermentation thanks to @allenH. Anyone with 10gal tun's know how much strike water to fill with grains? Think 6.4 gallons strike with 4 gallon mash-out should be about right. Also, those to have experience with this brew, those adjuncts on post #30 look right? Cinnamon or vanilla not over pronounced? Using the chemistry on post #578 also. Thanks for everyone's hard work over the years. I stand on the shoulder's of greatness! :)

Time to plan this bad boy. Using recipe on post #30, as that seems to be a favorite. Working on lighter stout for yeast cake first. Have experience with RIS fermentation thanks to @allenH. Anyone with 10gal tun's know how much strike water to fill with grains? Think 6.4 gallons strike with 4 gallon mash-out should be about right. Also, those to have experience with this brew, those adjuncts on post #30 look right? Cinnamon or vanilla not over pronounced? Using the chemistry on post #578 also. Thanks for everyone's hard work over the years. I stand on the shoulder's of greatness! :)

I wanted to mash a bit thinner, there was no way mine was going to fit in my 10g igloo so I ended up double mashing. Still didn't quite get the efficiency I was needing. When I do it again, I will just reduce the batch size. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459044703.609970.jpg
This app is free on iPhone and is pretty accurate. You can enter the specs for your specific mash tun

I wanted to mash a bit thinner, there was no way mine was going to fit in my 10g igloo so I ended up double mashing. Still didn't quite get the efficiency I was needing. When I do it again, I will just reduce the batch size. View attachment 347199
This app is free on iPhone and is pretty accurate. You can enter the specs for your specific mash tun

Thanks man!

I have brewed the version on post 1 and now post 30. post 1 twice. Both are very sold RIS recipes. Post 30 came out closer to Huna. I dropped my estimated efficiency down 10% when brewing the last beer because I noticed a drop of efficiency when I brew big beers. I hit my numbers and was able to get an extra gallon by doing this. I fly sparged and did not notice any weird off flavors with the beer. As far as the additions I ended up using two large roasted Jalepeno's and 3 roasted Serrano peppers. 1 cinnamon stick is enough. I used 3 on the last batch and it was over kill. 3 vanilla beans adds a nice punch. 4oz of cocoa nibs was perfect. The last batch I added cold press coffee and it really turned out nice.

People love this beer and was a lot of fun to do.

I have brewed the version on post 1 and now post 30. post 1 twice. Both are very sold RIS recipes. Post 30 came out closer to Huna. I dropped my estimated efficiency down 10% when brewing the last beer because I noticed a drop of efficiency when I brew big beers. I hit my numbers and was able to get an extra gallon by doing this. I fly sparged and did not notice any weird off flavors with the beer. As far as the additions I ended up using two large roasted Jalepeno's and 3 roasted Serrano peppers. 1 cinnamon stick is enough. I used 3 on the last batch and it was over kill. 3 vanilla beans adds a nice punch. 4oz of cocoa nibs was perfect. The last batch I added cold press coffee and it really turned out nice.

People love this beer and was a lot of fun to do.

Did you use Wyeast 1968?

I used safale-04 and Thames Valley and the last batch with the recipe from post 30. Both English strains. They seem to both match well. I would say Thames Valley may provide a nicer mouth feel but I did do different recipes... Nothing bad at all coming from the beer. I had a 5 month old packet that I built up to make the yeast strong. Attenuation 63.6% not horrible for a big beer. I don't know if I would want it any drier than it already is.

I used safale-04 and Thames Valley and the last batch with the recipe from post 30. Both English strains. They seem to both match well. I would say Thames Valley may provide a nicer mouth feel but I did do different recipes... Nothing bad at all coming from the beer. I had a 5 month old packet that I built up to make the yeast strong. Attenuation 63.6% not horrible for a big beer. I don't know if I would want it any drier than it already is.

That's interesting. I was talking about mixing 05 and 04 to tone down 04s ester profile to the LHBS dudes. They recommend against it as one or the other strain would dominate ergo i'd have no control. That's not your experience tho?

Sorry I meant to say that I used both of those yeasts separately on the batches. I don't think you have to worry about that esters coming through on 04. I have used it on lighter with success.

yup hah - he's onto us!

So - here's so far what I've come up with so far...
5.25 gallon batch (70% eff)
OG: 1.137 (31 P)
FG: 1.053 (13 P)
ABV: 11%

13# 4 oz Maris Otter - 47%
5# 8 oz Munich II - 20%
2# 14 oz Flaked Barley - 10%
2# Chocolate - 7%
2# Roasted Barley - 7%
14 oz Black Patent - 3%
14 oz Dark Crystal (Hugh Baird) 150L - 3%
14 oz Crystal Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 60L -3%
28.25# total

Boil for 90-120 minutes
3 oz Magnum (14% aa) @ 75 minutes - 80 IBU

Added in Secondary to make it Hunahpu'ish:
1 stick of Ceylon Cinnamon
1 Madagascar Vanilla Bean
4 oz Peruvian Cacao Nibs
1 oz Ancho Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped)
.5 oz Pasillia Pepper (dried, deseeded, chopped)
.5 oz Guajillo (dried, deseeded, chopped)

The Hopville guy said his pepper presence was too pronounced with 2.5 oz total, so I scaled it back a little bit.

Not sure when I'm going to have the time to brew this up, but it is definitely on the queue

Trying this again. My Huna light version got all fouled up with the crazy life these days.

Changes are; axing black patent (not a fan, seems to add an ash sense, maybe it's just me or how its mashed), exchanging MO to 2 row since that's what I have on hand (also MO gives too much a bready/yeasty flavor I noticed) and slightly toning down all other's in proportion to get to 10%, my upper limit for beer...not a spring chicken.

I have Warrior. Anyone know why I couldn't use that instead of Magnum?

At 75 min, all you're getting is bittering anyways, so I don't think the hop matters as long as you account for its alpha acid.

What I figured..done deal with celebration RIS. Super thick at this stage.

Update: at 1.025 after 8 days, about 9.8%, good enough for me. Sample is thick, but complex raisin, roast, alcohol flavors. Secondary next week with goodies..

6/3: Cold crashed to secondary. Soaked nibs, chillies, cinnamon, and vanilla in vodka and added to secondary.

6/11: kegged. Tasting notes are nice roasty/chocolate base beer. Can clearly detect tobacco/spice, but vanilla/cinnamon are not present to my buds yet. Maybe longer in secondary and separate spices into 2 stainless tea strainers next time for more room. Awesome recipe! Shaping up to be the best Imperial Stout I've made!

View attachment 1463739634493.jpg

Attempt #2! Chocolate stout being brewed right now for yeast cake. Using British wlp005. I want lower attenuation. Think it came out a bit dry at 1.028.

1.128/1.042, 6 months old.

Cracked one today after bottling two weeks ago.

Can't believe I brewed this.

0619161810.jpg

Congratulations! Tasting notes?

RICH!

Tons of dark chocolate, not that roasty, boatloads of malt sweetness with a slight alcohol heat.

Its a desert in a glass.

I have another 5 gal batch in a bourbon barrel right now too.

I cold pressed kona coffee into a batch and had really good results. I'm thinking you can do just about anything to the base recipe and it will hold up.

Here are the recipes. I never added any of the peppers or other seasonings. The base beer was so good I didn't want to risk screwing it up with added flavors.

30% Pale
18% Maris
16% Vienna (Was out of Munich)
9% Pale Chocolate
9% Roasted Barley
5% Flaked Oats
2.5% Fawcett C45
2.5% Flaked Barley
1% Flaked Rye
1% Fawcett C80
1% Special B
5% Dry Extract

50 IBU Magnum

WLP002, 1.128/1.042

Barrel Aged; Again, no spices.

I upped the IBU's & used mostly Columbus in addition to Magnum to give the bitterness some bite and condensed the grain bill some. Used regular chocolate malt instead of pale. I knew this was destined for a barrel so I wanted it to be more robust to stand up to the bourbon. So far, so good.

28% Pale
15% Maris
15% Munich 10
10% Chocolate
10% Roasted Barley
5% Flaked Oats
5% Flaked Barley
4% Fawcett C45
1% Caramunich C45
.5% Special B
5% Dry Extract
1.5% Dark Brown Sugar

50 IBU, Columbus
25 IBU, Magnum

WLP002, 1.128/1.042

^awesome! I'm not a fan of the spices either. Hopefully I'll finally get this brewed this summer.

My mash tun can't handle a full 10g batch of this so I'm planning to do 2 6g batches.

Anyone have objections to starting a 6g batch in my 14g conical and then adding another 6g of wort 2-3 weeks later?

Back