A Tribute to Hunahpu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^awesome! I'm not a fan of the spices either. Hopefully I'll finally get this brewed this summer.

My mash tun can't handle a full 10g batch of this so I'm planning to do 2 6g batches.

Anyone have objections to starting a 6g batch in my 14g conical and then adding another 6g of wort 2-3 weeks later?

I couldn't fit the grain for 6 gallons in my 15 gal mash tun. I have to use it & another 5 gallon cooler. This is a singles runnings beer so it is basically a no sparge mash. I think it equated to around 1.33 qts per lb of grain mash ratio.

I don't see why not if you are going to drain off dead/spent yeast prior to adding the additional wort. I would think you would also re-pitch with fresh yeast as well.

For 12 gallons, you are looking at almost 80 lbs of grain + the DME. :eek:

Question for anybody that has had a bottle of Huna and a bottle of Westbrook's Mexican Cake. What did you notice as being different?

I live in Upstate NY and have been able to get Mexican Cake, can't get Huna though.

I made this a year or so ago and ended up with a slight waxy taste, I'm thinking from the peppers, maybe roasting a little bit would have helped. The base without the peppers, as others have pointed out, is more chocolate than roast. What I remember about Mexican Cake was there was.more roast, a touch of cinnamon, and heat that got stronger as it warmed, but never got too strong, it was just enough to accentuate the other flavors.

Question for anybody that has had a bottle of Huna and a bottle of Westbrook's Mexican Cake. What did you notice as being different?

I live in Upstate NY and have been able to get Mexican Cake, can't get Huna though.

I made this a year or so ago and ended up with a slight waxy taste, I'm thinking from the peppers, maybe roasting a little bit would have helped. The base without the peppers, as others have pointed out, is more chocolate than roast. What I remember about Mexican Cake was there was.more roast, a touch of cinnamon, and heat that got stronger as it warmed, but never got too strong, it was just enough to accentuate the other flavors.

I've never had Hunaphu but based on the OG & FG range that was mentioned by Wambles in this thread, Hunuphu has a much higher start, finish gravity & total ABV.

I haven't had this years Mexican Cake but last years was way too spicy IMO. It completely overwhelmed the finish of that beer & it would have been better without the heat.

Just one man's opinion.

Last year's Mexican Cake is what I had too, I bought it in May and dint drink till October though, so maybe the 5 months of aging muted to spices.

I would agree that this is "heavier or thicker," Mexican Cake isn't thin by any means either. Either way, this recipe is still great and I can't wait to make it again once I move, have a couple on the to brew list as soon as we get moved in, and this hopefully is one of the first so that it's ready for the holidays and cold winter.

Last year's Mexican Cake is what I had too, I bought it in May and dint drink till October though, so maybe the 5 months of aging muted to spices.

I would agree that this is "heavier or thicker," Mexican Cake isn't thin by any means either. Either way, this recipe is still great and I can't wait to make it again once I move, have a couple on the to brew list as soon as we get moved in, and this hopefully is one of the first so that it's ready for the holidays and cold winter.

2x thicker. LOL Which sounds crazy.

Mexican Cake finished in the mid 20's.

RICH!

Tons of dark chocolate, not that roasty, boatloads of malt sweetness with a slight alcohol heat.

Its a desert in a glass.

I have another 5 gal batch in a bourbon barrel right now too.

How did the taste compare to the original Marshal Zhukov?

I have 2 SS brew buckets as well so I could certainly do 2 separate ferments. I just thought starting it in the 14g would be like pitching the wort onto a yeast cake. Sounds like it might be a bad idea though?

Splitting and pitching as two separate batches is the more fool proof approach no doubt.

I have 2 SS brew buckets as well so I could certainly do 2 separate ferments. I just thought starting it in the 14g would be like pitching the wort onto a yeast cake. Sounds like it might be a bad idea though?

If you have to brew 2 weeks apart, I'd use two separate fermenters. If you can brew the following day, I'd use 1 fermenter and pitch 1.5x the amount of yeast you need for 1 batch on day 1 due to the growth phase in the first 24 hours.

Here are the recipes. I never added any of the peppers or other seasonings. The base beer was so good I didn't want to risk screwing it up with added flavors.

30% Pale
18% Maris
16% Vienna (Was out of Munich)
9% Pale Chocolate
9% Roasted Barley
5% Flaked Oats
2.5% Fawcett C45
2.5% Flaked Barley
1% Flaked Rye
1% Fawcett C80
1% Special B
5% Dry Extract

50 IBU Magnum

WLP002, 1.128/1.042

Barrel Aged; Again, no spices.

I upped the IBU's & used mostly Columbus in addition to Magnum to give the bitterness some bite and condensed the grain bill some. Used regular chocolate malt instead of pale. I knew this was destined for a barrel so I wanted it to be more robust to stand up to the bourbon. So far, so good.

28% Pale
15% Maris
15% Munich 10
10% Chocolate
10% Roasted Barley
5% Flaked Oats
5% Flaked Barley
4% Fawcett C45
1% Caramunich C45
.5% Special B
5% Dry Extract
1.5% Dark Brown Sugar

50 IBU, Columbus
25 IBU, Magnum

WLP002, 1.128/1.042

What is fawcett malt? Can't seem to find it. I'm guessing it's a crystal malt?

We
Here are the recipes. I never added any of the peppers or other seasonings. The base beer was so good I didn't want to risk screwing it up with added flavors.

30% Pale
18% Maris
16% Vienna (Was out of Munich)
9% Pale Chocolate
9% Roasted Barley
5% Flaked Oats
2.5% Fawcett C45
2.5% Flaked Barley
1% Flaked Rye
1% Fawcett C80
1% Special B
5% Dry Extract

50 IBU Magnum

WLP002, 1.128/1.042

Barrel Aged; Again, no spices.

I upped the IBU's & used mostly Columbus in addition to Magnum to give the bitterness some bite and condensed the grain bill some. Used regular chocolate malt instead of pale. I knew this was destined for a barrel so I wanted it to be more robust to stand up to the bourbon. So far, so good.

28% Pale
15% Maris
15% Munich 10
10% Chocolate
10% Roasted Barley
5% Flaked Oats
5% Flaked Barley
4% Fawcett C45
1% Caramunich C45
.5% Special B
5% Dry Extract
1.5% Dark Brown Sugar

50 IBU, Columbus
25 IBU, Magnum

WLP002, 1.128/1.042

How can I easily convert percentages into weight? Also the 5% dry extract is throwing me off. Is that 5% based on weight? Or potential gravity?

Also, what temp did you mash at? Since you got a high FG, I'm assuming you mashed 154F or something?

I've never had zhukov or hunaphu so I can't really say.

It is good though.

Just curious, how did you come up with your recipe? Seems like many have been using recipe #30. I'm considering using your recipe.

We

How can I easily convert percentages into weight? Also the 5% dry extract is throwing me off. Is that 5% based on weight? Or potential gravity?

Also, what temp did you mash at? Since you got a high FG, I'm assuming you mashed 154F or something?

Yes, weight. 2 lbs to be exact.

155 but I'd think that 002 isn't going to go much lower than the upper 30s on a OG this large regardless of mash temp.

Just curious, how did you come up with your recipe? Seems like many have been using recipe #30. I'm considering using your recipe.

Mine is based off of the recipe that is calling for 10% chocolate & 10% roasted barley.

Other than those two and the inclusion of English crystal, I doubt you would taste much difference with all of the other variables, base, oats, etc.

A relatively large % of oats is more than likely significant too

How did the taste compare to the original Marshal Zhukov?

I've had Marshall only once. I'd say from memory it's a different beer. This come off much more chocolaty and roast. Marshall is richer. Almost a soy saucy element to marshal that for some reason come off pleasant.

Mine is based off of the recipe that is calling for 10% chocolate & 10% roasted barley.

Other than those two and the inclusion of English crystal, I doubt you would taste much difference with all of the other variables, base, oats, etc.

A relatively large % of oats is more than likely significant too

Ok. You mentioned that yours came out like dessert beer? I love imperial stouts but I don't like the roasty types. How roasty did yours come out? I'm not an expert enough brewer to just look at a recipe and imagine how it would taste like.

Ok. You mentioned that yours came out like dessert beer? I love imperial stouts but I don't like the roasty types. How roasty did yours come out? I'm not an expert enough brewer to just look at a recipe and imagine how it would taste like.

It's a dark & super big beer so there is some roastiness for sure but this beer is much more chocolate forward than a roasted coffee flavor.

No doubt it's a stout but more sweet than bitter.

The version I brewed is not overly roasts at all. Prior to ferment it's pretty nasty. But it smooths right out after fermentation

I have this beer and a Kate the Great clone on tap now (I know not the typical summer beers) and the Huna is the smoother and lighter feeling of the two. So much so that I was drinking less of the KtG because I thought it was too high in alcohol and giving me a hang-over. I finally got to measuring the FGs and Huna was weighing in at a 9.7% and KtG at 6.7% with lots of sherry tastes.

So the stout is potent, but light enough for me to have thought it a "porter" weight beer. It does have a pronounce roast flavor, but is an overall smooth beer to drink.

I have this beer and a Kate the Great clone on tap now (I know not the typical summer beers) and the Huna is the smoother and lighter feeling of the two. So much so that I was drinking less of the KtG because I thought it was too high in alcohol and giving me a hang-over. I finally got to measuring the FGs and Huna was weighing in at a 9.7% and KtG at 6.7% with lots of sherry tastes.

So the stout is potent, but light enough for me to have thought it a "porter" weight beer. It does have a pronounce roast flavor, but is an overall smooth beer to drink.

would you mind sharing which Huna recipe you used please?

I've checked my notes and I brewed a Zhukov clone - no peppers.

I BIAB so my numbers are a bit low.
SG 1.094
FG 1.022
ABV 9.7%

5 gallon batch, 28.5 total lbs. of grain.

Grain Bill
14lbs Marris Otter
5lbs Munich II
2lbs Pale Chocolate
2lbs Roasted Barley
1lbs Black Malt
1lbs Carmel Malt 60L
0.5lbs Special B Malt

Hop Schedule
4oz Magnum (FIrst Wort Addition)

Wyeast 1968 (4l starter split with partigyle of this beer - 2l each)

Mashed at 155 degrees for 30 minutes.

Fermented at 65 degrees for a month.

Keg for 6 months before tasting (06/01/16).

The partigyle was excellent, I used the second running and added in:

Grain Bill
6oz Dark Candi Syrup
1.25 lbs Pale Malt extract (3-year old Mr. Beer kit)
12.5 oz Mr. Beer Booster
2lbs Clover Honey

Hop Schedule
6oz whole Willamette hops, 2-years old, but kept in the freezer

SG didn't measure arghhh!
FG 1.022

Same yeast and fermentation schedule as above (30 days), kegged and carbed for 3-days and then enjoyed.

Good luck, it is a great recipe. I strongly suggest some sort of partigyle as you are using a lot of grain.

Excellent light porter

^^Never used Munich II. Dark robust version? I've had little luck with partiGyles. They always seem thin to me. Thanks for sharing! So 2lbs honey with this stout?? Humm, interesting!

My 5 week out sample..too dry but drinkable no question. No cinnamon nor vanilla, I'll fix that next time.

View attachment 1466898680523.jpg

1.128/1.042 again.

Racked this AM. Lovely

BARREL.jpg

So I have been lurking this tread for quite a long time. My brewing buddy and I went to Hunahpu Day 2014 and had an amazing time (regardless of what people said). We got our hands on not only Hunah and DB Hunah but also Zhu, which we learned down there was the base for Hunah (Was later confirmed in this thread). We were already pretty experienced home brewers and I was obsessed on the drive back up with cloning this beer. I started working up a large write-up in google drive on basically a summary of this thread and everyone's recipes/results. I spent a lot of time breaking down all of the recipes I found and tried to figure out the ones that made the most sense in regards to what Wambles let loose as far as information regarding the base recipe. All of your work is amazing and we ended up with quite a result.

We brewed 5 gallons of the recipe we chose on 1/25/2015. It was an immensely fun beer to brew. 28 total pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch made things very interesting. Luckily we took advantage of that Black Friday Target sale they had last year and grabbed a Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler. We decided to stick with the no-sparge method as all of the data that came back from people sparging were yielding unfavorable results more times than not. Here is the recipe we went with:

Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.08 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.115 SG
Estimated Color: 242.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 87.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 62.7 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs Maris Otter (Crisp) (7.9 EBC) Grain 1 49.1 %
5 lbs Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 17.5 %
3 lbs Barley, Flaked (Briess) (3.3 EBC) Grain 3 10.5 %
2 lbs Chocolate (Crisp) (1241.1 EBC) Grain 4 7.0 %
2 lbs Roasted Barley (Crisp) (1369.2 EBC) Grain 5 7.0 %
1 lbs Black (Crisp) (1339.6 EBC) Grain 6 3.5 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (118.2 EBC) Grain 7 3.5 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (354.6 EBC) Grain 8 1.8 %
3.00 oz Magnum [11.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 87.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
2.20 g Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 11 -
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast 12 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 28 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 10.54 (actually 12.5) gal of water at 165.2 F 155.0 F 60 min

Distilled Water (additions):

CaSO4 - 3.8g
NaHCO3 - 2.5g
CaCL2 - 6.3g
Ca(OH)2 - 2.5g

----------------------------

The fermentation ended up looking like this (brewpi/big mouth/thermowell):

So we ended up bottling this and were, at first, not impressed with the beer. It was roasty to the point of acrid so decided to let it rest. Well fast forward 5 months later and we found out that there was a BJCP sanctioned contest in Ocean Springs. We decided to submit this beer since they weren't allowing any adjunct stouts (We have another smaller sparged imperial stout that we love to add adjuncts to) and our IPA's at the time. We ended up winning best of show out of 84 or so entries and medals for our IPA's. Upon sampling the beer after that 5 months we found that it is VERY close to Zhukov. I guess it just took time for the IBU's to calm down and settle into the overall flavor profile. Now time to do the same thing again but with peppers/nibs/vanilla

Shameless plug -> https://www.facebook.com/crunkworxbrewing - Like us :D

What was the final gravity of this recipe?

Long story short, after pitching 2 different yeasts and after 3 weeks, we are only down to 1.045. Not sure if that's in the correct ball park. Beersmith estimates 1.030 and we are only at 53% attenuation and first yeast was S04 and second was Scottish ale yeast.

Long story short, after pitching 2 different yeasts and after 3 weeks, we are only down to 1.045. Not sure if that's in the correct ball park. Beersmith estimates 1.030 and we are only at 53% attenuation and first yeast was S04 and second was Scottish ale yeast.

Mine was 1.025, but it's too dry.

So one technique is to brew a lighter stout, say 5.5%, with the yeast of choice. Use that yeast cake for any RIS including Hunahpu.

Now, brew the RIS wort then separate between 2 buckets/carboys but oxygenate by xferring back and forth a few times. After 12hrs, re-oxygenate same method, this is important. This was the technique I used to get to 10% beers. I was ending around 1.045 using only yeast, including s-04 (3pks) before doing this.

1.045 will be fine for this big beer. Wish mine was closer to 1.040.

Thanks for the response. I used an O2 tank, so there should have been plenty of oxygen.

I've actually never been able to get a big stout to finish this high so I was expecting it to drop more, but I've never brewed a beer quite like this before either.

Thanks for the response. I used an O2 tank, so there should have been plenty of oxygen.

I've actually never been able to get a big stout to finish this high so I was expecting it to drop more, but I've never brewed a beer quite like this before either.

What was the mash temp?

1.045 is fine assuming an OG of around 1.130

Back