A tale of two kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunkerking

Reaction score
I started using my keezer and after some struggles identifying a leak in the co2, I have it figured out, at least the leak.

I used set it and forget it to carbonate the 2 kegs and set it around 11. One of the kegs/taps is pouring nicely. But the other keg is another story. It coughs a lot of foam before pouring somewhat nicely and I end up with half a glass of foam. It doesn't just do this on the first pour. The beer line lengths on each keg are around 8 feet of 3/16 tubing.

On the keg that coughs up foam there are visible pockets of air/bubbles in the line. I really think the issue is the line/ keg but I'm really not sure where to go from here. I've attached a pic but it isn't that great View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1493864747.919166.jpg

What type of beers in the keg causing problems? Is there any chance there could be something blocking your output?

Seeing that you have a second regulator I might try running a gas line from The other regulator and seeing if that changes anything. When I used to use a distribution blocks similar to yours there would be times that I would find some unevenly carbonated kegs. Especially if I had used 30 psi to purge a keg and not dropped it down below whatever my set it and forget it pressure was before hooking it up to the distributor.

If you are sealing up a keg with 30 psi then hooking it up to a distribution block but for purging it you can create an imbalance in your lines that can cause one keg to be over carbonated and another to be under. I don't know the science behind this but I know it was a problem for me at one point.

There is a small O-ring under the Out dip tube flange that if missing or damaged will allow CO2 in the keg head space to be injected into the beer stream at the Out post.

"Spitting" foam is symptomatic...

Cheers!

[edit] Long shot - but it's happened: gas post mounted to long dip tube, beer post on short one. Obviously needs a full keg to really be confusing...

I am pretty certain that the damaged O-ring is the problem. I haven't had a chance to check the one in question but I checked it on one of the other "new kegs that I bought. It is damaged can I buy this sort of thing at Home Depot or Lowes or would I need to go to a Home Brew store?

I am pretty certain that the damaged O-ring is the problem. I haven't had a chance to check the one in question but I checked it on one of the other "new kegs that I bought. It is damaged can I buy this sort of thing at Home Depot or Lowes or would I need to go to a Home Brew store?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=233086

You can get them from any hardware store or auto parts store or the thread linked above has part numbers to order them from mcmaster carr.

The round orings wolrk just fine. You dont need the square ones.

Well it was a pretty easy fix. Your responses got me thinking that somehow co2 was leaking into the system. Sure enough I tightened the post on the out side of the keg and the problem was fixed. Thanks so much for everyone's help.

I bought o-rings at HD. They are #83 Danco o-rings 1/2"OD x 5/16"ID x 3/32". It was a 10 pack for less than $3.

Try swapping the gas and beer lines from keg a to keg b. If the problem stays with the tap its the tubing distribution. If it stays with the keg its the keg seals.

Back