A tale of terror - my return to brewing (question at bottom)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draken

Reaction score
I brewed several years ago and frequented this forum. My friends don't really drink beer, my neighbors at the time rarely spoke to me or each other, and my wife does not like the same style beer as I do. So I was really just doing it for me (2.5 gallon and 1 gallon batches) After two infected batches in a row, I decided to walk away. Between not having anyone to share it with and the frustration of spending resources to get only sour gushing bottles caught up.

Times change, friends change, and I moved. My neighbors are the biggest bunch of drinkers I've seen. Any given weekend someone is cracking a cold one or two on their porch to share with whomever stops by. With that in mind, I decided to take a crack at brewing again and here begins our tale of terror....

I wanted a basic style beer. Something middle of the road in terms of ABV and IBU's. I settled on lovely red ale recipe that was listed in beersmith,
Rapture Red Ale .

Brew day started late. I was planning on getting going around 5pm, but I didn't mash in until 8:30. Now before I go further.. I cook a lot. I know most measurements and conversions in my head, tablespoons to teaspoons, cups, oz etc. This took a brain fart of epic proportions to do..

I BIAB (sort of), and wanted to hit 1.75 qts per lb or about 17.89 qts. What actually happened was I used 17.89 CUPS..... I didn't think it looked like enough water when I was heating it in my giant 8 gallon pot, but I kept going. As soon as I added the grain in, I figured it out... and then came the mad scramble.. I tossed the pot in the oven to store it and started heating water in my next largest 2 pots, which could hold a whopping gallon tops. By my math I was 3 gallons and some change off the water to grain ratio I was looking for, not to mention about 10 degrees cooler as well (aiming for 150, hit 140).

So I started heating water to random temperatures and adding it.
Mash-in +13 min - 4 qts @ 167 brought temp to 144
Mash-in +21 min - 4 qts @ 165 brought temp to 156 (CRUD TO HIGH)
Mash-in +26 min - 4 qts @ 145 brought the temp down to 151
Mash-in +38 min - 1 qts @ 145 brought it down to 150

Held it there for a total mash time of 75 minutes. Added in 7.3 QTS boiled in two pots and brought the mash to 167 for 10 minutes. Pulled out the bag squeezed it and rinsed it slowly with 6 qts over 10 or so minutes.

Poured it all in the brew pot, topped off to the pre-boil volume of about 7 gallons (math says it should have been 7.5 but I was afraid of boil over at that volume).. and pulled a sample.. 1.041 when adjusted for temp.

I didn't need a calculator to know if my OG was going to be off. I wasn't expecting quite so high a conversion rate!
Anyway, the rest of the brew went fine, OG came in at 1.064, it chilled overnight to 65 degrees and I pitched the San Diego Super yeast in the morning. It's been 4 days, so I have no idea what the final gravity is going to be, but it'll be beer.

I'm planning on giving it 3 days at FG and then cold crashing, fining with gelatin, and kegging it. My only thought is should I let it sit @ 70 for some time 2-3 weeks since it's likely going to be a bigger beer than planned or go ahead and carb it up. I was hoping to use it on July 4th, but I'd rather have good beer than timely beer.

I might let it sit at 70*F for two or three days to let the yeast clean up after itself but I would not go two or three weeks. Just me. In my brewery this beer would be kegged in a cpl days and in a glass by next weekend vs 4th of July.

... My friends don't really drink beer, my neighbors at the time rarely spoke to me or each other, and my wife does not like the same style beer as I do. So I was really just doing it for me (2.5 gallon and 1 gallon batches)
I hear ya. What friends I have that drink - drink Bud Light. I learned early on in my home brewing adventures that it's a total waste of beer to share home brew with Bud Light people. It's the standard by which they judge ALL beer. To misquote, mutilate and take out of context Thomas Aquinas:

To those who drink craft beer - no explanation is necessary
To those who don't - no explanation is possible

None of my neighbors talk to each other either, (I think it's an urban thing). We lived in a rural area for years and knew all our neighbors, who were all at least a 1/2 mile apart from each other. We moved to this suburb of Phoenix a few years ago where all the houses are 10 feet apart with 6' block walls separating everyone. If I go out front, any neighbors who are out will stop and stare, suspiciously watching every move I make - until I make eye contact and wave at them - then they scowl and go back to minding their own business.

My wife used to drink in our younger days but she gave it up a long time ago. So I too brew for just myself; except I do 5 gallon batches. (I figure if you're gonna drink beer - drink beer).

I had a couple crappy brews in a row recently and thought about taking a break as well. I've invested a bunch of time, money and energy into this hobby over the past 2 1/2 years. I know I'd never be able to get what I've put into it back out. And like my wife (probably correctly) points out - as soon as I sell everything I'll want to get back into it again.

So my solution to wanting to give it up was to go buy a bunch of ingredients and brew another batch. :mug:

So pulled a sample last night. It's down to 1.011 and an ABV of 6.94.

Tasted amazing though!

I'm headed on a short trip and if I get the same # when I get back I'll cold crash and keg it.

It'll probably be the best beer you ever brew...and you'll never be able to reproduce it! :D

It might not be exactly what you were trying to achieve, bit it will still be beer. Making mistakes is actually a good way of learning what works for you and what to do when things go wrong. Looks like you handled the situation just fine. I agree with other comments regarding waiting a few weeks at 70F. If its done, just keg it up and start thinking about your next brew. :mug:

It'll probably be the best beer you ever brew...and you'll never be able to reproduce it! :D

That is my fear...

It's attenuated 83% at this point. I may get another .001 out of it, but I'm pretty sure it's done. I put the fermentation chamber at 68. I'm going to give it till Friday then I'm kegging it. I need the bucket for my next brew.

Ok crashed it to 40 this morning.

Coincidentally today is swmbo's birthday. So I'm letting her name it. Any ideas from this group?
It's basically an imperial red and almost falls in the American strong ale category.

Kegged it tonight. First time kegging a homebrew. Only took 15 batches or so for me to get around to it.
Swmbo named it Miss Behaving Strong Red Ale.

Side note: swmbo wanted to autocorrect to demon.. apparently Siri has met her when she's mad

Back