New member with questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC in TN

Reaction score
BC from TN here and just registered on the forum.
My wife and I are attempting to make some Muscadine wine using a very simple recipe, found online:
6 cups of sugar
3 qts of water
4 cups of muscadines
1 packet yeast

* wash and sanitize a 1 gallon jug
* dissolve 6 cups of sugar into 3 quarts of water in the clean jug…

THE PROBLEMS BEGIN HERE - a one gallon jug is completely filled with the recipe so far; there is no room for the four cups of mashed muscadines

Im quite certain that my measure of sugar and water are correct - feeling sorta bad about having to ask…
What am I missing? I will attach my recipe.

Attachments

• IMG_0812.jpeg
    IMG_0812.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
You're not missing anything except a larger fermenter. 6 cups of sugar adds almost a quart of volume when dissolved in water (4.443 fluid ounces per cup to be precise, or 26.7 fluid ounces total in your case). It looks like the recipe is designed to yield a gallon after all of the grape pulp has been strained out.

For the initial fermentation, you don't need anything fancy. I use a 5 gallon plastic bucket(grade 2, 4 and 5 are foodsafe). You can get these at Lowes, HD, menards or tractor supply for a few dollars.

I have a large fine mesh brewbag to hold the fruit, which makes transfer easier, and cover the top with cheesecloth secured by a rubber band to keep hair and insects out. This makes it very easy to remove the cheesecloth and stir as well. I use a plant seed heater with a temperature probe to keep it at 65 degrees (if you have the temperature at the low end of your yeasts tolerance, it takes longer but is less likely to impart weird off flavors). Once fermentation is done I transfer to a 1 gallon glass widemouth carboy(don't like the narrow mouth ones, harder to clean). If I have too much to all fit I use widemouth Mason jars with the fermentation lids.

You're not missing anything except a larger fermenter. 6 cups of sugar adds almost a quart of volume when dissolved in water (4.443 fluid ounces per cup to be precise, or 26.7 fluid ounces total in your case). It looks like the recipe is designed to yield a gallon after all of the grape pulp has been strained out.
What mac said. You need to either cut that recipe in half to use a 1 gallon fermenter, or use that recipe and a 2 gallon fermenter.

Thanks everyone, I’ll try and post some photos of my endeavors and I’m sure I’ll have more questions.

I would make one simple suggestion; get some wine yeast. Active, dry yeast will start your fermentation off just fine, but in the end is not very alcohol tolerant. My first attempts at wine making way back with baking yeast resulted in a very syrupy, sweet moderately alcoholic wine.
I have used the Montrachet Premier Classique yeast for Muscadines. It’s available on Amazon, and on eBay.

MoreBeer sells 5L glass jugs (damas) for a pretty good price. Will require a drilled stopper (#6.5, I think) if you need to use an airlock.

Thanks CF for the yeast suggestion. I did have a friend already let me know about this. I used Lalvin; it came in 5 gr packets and most recipes call for either “a packet of yeast” or 7gr…😀
My batch was 3 gallons of liquid plus my 12 cups of muscadines, so I used four packs of the Lalvin (20 gr) plus a dab.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.jpeg
    IMG_0813.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Thanks CF for the yeast suggestion. I did have a friend already let me know about this. I used Lalvin; it came in 5 gr packets and most recipes call for either “a packet of yeast” or 7gr…😀
My batch was 3 gallons of liquid plus my 12 cups of muscadines, so I used four packs of the Lalvin (20 gr) plus a dab.
I only use one for up to 5 gallons. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Did I use too much.? I understood from my recipe above that I needed one packet per gallon. I’ve so much to learn.
Hmm. I believe the package says it’s good for up to 5 gallons, but I would have wlook again to be sure. I just started a 7 gallon batch of muscadine wine and used 1-½ packs and it took off.
I don’t think it will hurt anything, except your wallet. 😁

Did I use too much.? I understood from my recipe above that I needed one packet per gallon. I’ve so much to learn.
You didn't hurt anything, but one packet will do a 5 gallon batch. I generally divide it like this: If > than 3 gallon, use a full pack, if < 3 gallons use a 1/2 pack. I don't care enough to be more precise.

Using more yeast does not hurt (especially when talking about individual packet sizes), all it does is provide additional nutrients for the rest of the yeast to feed on. They are dirty little cannibals who will gladly eat their own. In fact, that is often used in meads as a yeast nutrient- you add yeast to boiling water, let it cool and add to the batch(in addition to your normal pitched yeast).

Adding less yeast is actually a bigger issue as it can stress the yeast, resulting in either stuck fermentation, or off flavors.

Thanks all for the helpful and insightful replies.

Next question: Is there a previous discussion or instructions regarding the use of a hydrometer for muscadine wine? If so, can someone point me in that direction? I have a hydrometer but don’t know at which stage to use, nor how to interpret the results.

Hydrometers differ, but I use one that shows potential alcohol buy volume, (%ABV), and ounces of sugar per gallon. It also has an sg scale.

I’m usually shooting for around 12% alcohol for wine, and you need around 2 lbs of sugar per gallon to get there. With my last batch, I checked my juice before adding yeast and it read 16 on the ounces sugar per gallon scale. I just added another pound per gallon, and added my yeast.
Note; adding the sugar increases the volume, so I kinda feel like I am chasing my tail, but I don’t obsess over it if I end up with 11% or 13% wines. Just don’t keep adding additional sugar in hopes of making a higher ABV wine; you might overshoot the alcohol tolerance of your yeast and end up with a low alcohol, syrupy sweet wine. (This is what happens when you use bread yeast!)
The hydrometer is also useful to check if the yeast has finished fermenting the sugar. A reading around 0 ounces of sugar per gallon tells you that it is done.
I’m just a novice wine maker, and just do a few things that work for me. I have the most difficulty working with fresh fruit, but fairly decent success working with store bought juices. There’s consistency there that allows you to dial in what you like, and much less work, not to mention that it’s available just about anytime you’re ready to make a batch.
Good luck!

Tl/dr: take S.G. at same time you add yeast, then again once bottling. If add sugar to sweeten take then as well so you can measure abv.

Long Novella Version:

So, you want to use a hydrometer at a couple different points. I'll walk you through my process:
Day 1: put fruit in brew bag inside bucket, put half a gallon of water in a pot on the stove at low heat. Add sugar, crushed cambden tablet and pectic enzyme. Once sugar dissolves, remove from heat, pour over fruit and add the remaining water. Hook up heater and leave alone.
I don't add yeast yet or take a specific gravity reading as if the fruit was frozen or water too hot, the reading will fluctuate and I want it to be in the ballpark consistency wise. The other reason I haven't added the yeast is to give the pectic a day or two to work on the fruit and the presence of alcohol can make it harder.
Day 2 or 3- Take the initial S.G. reading and make adjustments if you need to, either adding water or sugar to raise and lower it. Once you have the S.G you want, write it down somewhere you won't lose. I have a journal for my recipes showing what I added, how much, when I started, racked and bottled. What yeast I used, sg. That all gets written down here.

Day 2/3 to ??- This is the primary fermentation stage. How long it lasts depends on multiple factors. Some people leave it alone, I stir daily, morning and night(at least for the first week). This is where my setup with the cheesecloth just rubberbanded in place is handy, it's easy to remove to stir and then replace. I am not worried about oxygenation at this stage as the offgassing from the fermentation protects the wine from this. Once I can no longer hear it bubbling, or it has gotten much slower/weaker I will take my second S.G. reading. If it is close to done(which I count as under 1.010), I will remove the fruit, squeezing all the juice I can out of the bag and into the bucket.
If I fermented to dry (1.000 or lower), and don't add any additional sugar I never check S.G. again. With the initial and final numbers you can use a online abv calc to get your alcohol percent.
https://www.meadmakr.com/abv-calculator/
Then I rack to secondary.
1 Month Later: I will rack off the lees into another carboy.
3-10 Months Later: Rack again if needed. Here is where I start making adjustments- Adding acid blend, adding oak, adding more sugar. If you add more sugar, or hadn't fermented to dry during primary I would measure S.G again. If you add sugar, you may want to wait a week or so before bottling to ensure fermentation is done, as if you still have active yeast, it may have turned some of those sugars to alcohol. If I have made any adjustments, it gets set aside for at least another month before I consider bottling.

Finally, bottle when ready. As you can see above I let it age in the glass carboy for a decent length of time. This is referred to as 'bulk aging'. You can bottle earlier than I do but if the yeast is still active, lees haven't fully settled, by betting earlier, each bottle could have more or less of the lees, and may end up with slight variations in flavor.

I usually wait a month or so after bottling to try, so bottle shock is no longer an issue(unless you are very skilled or have a fancy setup bottling does expose wine to oxygenation and it will impact the flavor for a time).

Last edited:
Back