A problem with kegging, returning problem that is.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alegi

Reaction score
Hello,

My biggest problem with kegging is the serving in question. Almost every time I put a beer in keg and then served it once, the flavor drops/changes a lot.

I will explain in more detail now.

My latest batch, a double IPA. I transfer the beer into the keg. Following every advice regarding hygiene for keg. And I fill it with carbon dioxide before I put the beer in. After it's filled, I use carbon dioxide to get rid of oxygen.

Then I let it stand in the refrigerator set at the CO2 level I want. After two weeks, I take my first glass. And it tastes lovely, very good hops aroma and taste and a little bit sweet that I think is good.

The next day I take a new glass, and it is now the same recurrent problem arises. The beer tastes almost metallic. The hops aroma are almost gone and have been replaced by metallic taste and hardness, the hop flavor is not as "clean" as before.

The bitterness from the hops is there but taken over by a more harshness.

This is something that ALWAYS happens when I serve from kegs, and I have noticed that if I leave it for a week untouched it is usually restored to how it was from the first glass ...... Before I take a new glass because then the same thing happens again.

Therefore, I no longer serve from kegs, Im only using it for carbination then use a beergun to bottle. When the beer tastes like i want it to taste, I will be able to bottle instead.

But is this the reason for the purchase of kegs? No! I would have liked to drop bottles and only use kegging, but because this problem is constantly occurring, I have to use bottles via beergun from keg.

You can say this:

Day 1: First glass 5/5 points.
Day 2: Glass No. 2, 1/5 points as it tastes awful and lost all its glory.
Day: 9 (one week later) 5/5 points, tastes like it did from the beginning.
Day 10: And then it went back to strange taste.

Searched for this and found a lot of threads regarding "carbonic acid" and this could be the problem.

And yes, I buy it if the carbonic acid has not fallen in the beer. But after two weeks I think 9 liters should be completely carbonated (has a 9 liter keg). And I should not have to wait 1 week between each glass? Either I can drink all the beer under one evening, or wait 1 week for the next glass.

If I had a pub, I would have to serve one and the same beer once a week because it would otherwise taste harsh and metallic every day if I did not leave it for a while after finishing the days serving.

Anyone who knows why it has become like this? Anyone who recognizes this? And how did you solve that? Maybe I just use the keg in the wrong way? It may be quite normal that after pouring a glass of beer from the keg the flavor will change due to the fact that new carbon dioxide goes down because the level drops in the keg? You may not be able to serve from kegs at short intervals without letting the carbonic acid (the new) sit in the beer.

I may have had a wrong picture of kegs and how it should be used?

What are you using for tubing?

I had a similar problem, and always using the same lines (vinyl tubing)
I replaced all lines with beverage tubing from a homebrew web site, and that solved my issue.

Have you sanitized the beer line and faucets?

Also, go to local shop and have them purge the co2 with fresh gas

Also, go to local shop and have them purge the co2 with fresh gas

What do you mean "purge the co2 with fresh gas"? Is this a new thing? Is the low oxygen thing so serious now that we have to purge our purge gas? Maybe the problem is the o2 part? That's it, the carbon got oxidized.

Have you tried throwing away the first pint then tasting again?
Do you have silicone (silicone lets in 10x or 100x times more oxygen than most other plastics) or other cheap tubing?

What kind of tubing, shank, and faucet do you have? Cheep chrome plated brass or all stainless?

Thanks for the replies.

For the keg I use all the original parts except for the output part where I instead use a clear beer draught system. I believe it use silicon but its in the keg so there should not be any oxidation problem inside so to speak.

As I Said the beer taste good again if I leave the beer alone for some days before taking a glas again.

Can only be one of four things causing metallic flavor after kegging.

1. Beer sitting in the lines picking up the off flavor.
2. Chrome plated shank/faust.
3. Some sort of infection from the keg. Not sure what infection taste metallic but bandaid/plastic flavor could be described as metallic.
4. Oxidation from the kegging process.

The fixes.
1. Replace the lines with new beverage serving lines.
2. Replace with stainless steel or use until all the chrome is gone. Not sure how long that takes.
3. Disassemble kegs completely. Clean with hot PBW and sanitize. Replace all O rings.
4. Sounds like your kegging process is sound.

What do you mean "purge the co2 with fresh gas"? Is this a new thing? Is the low oxygen thing so serious now that we have to purge our purge gas? Maybe the problem is the o2 part? That's it, the carbon got oxidized.

Gas tanks can get contaminated as can anything else and yes Tanks should be purged before refilling

Back